Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Hyena Grin -> Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (2/6/2014 10:23:23 PM)

The scrapping mechanic in general was fine until boarding became a thing. Since you can just immediately detonate any ship that gets boarded and typically you know when you are going to lose, it feels somewhat cheap. I find it hard to believe that most crews would be willing to commit suicide rather than face capture (there are exceptions, obviously - when capture is too horrible to face - but this isn't always the case).

There's lots of ways this could be adjusted, but my suggestion is this series of changes:

1) Get rid of auto-scrap. Instead, have a command that asks for a construction ship to arrive and dismantle it. The construction ship would then arrive, 'deconstruct' the ship, which adds some resources to the construction ship's cargo and gets rid of the ship.

2) Add in a new series of technologies that deal with escape pods. The idea here is that with early escape pods the time between 'pressing the big red button' and the ship actually exploding is relatively long. With better technologies the time between Red Button and Boom would decrease, and the chances of a successful detonation after the ship has actually been captured increases. This represents how long it takes to set the detonation in motion and get surviving crew members to the escape pods. (Early versions would not allow you to cancel this process once it is set. All the crew is abandoning ship, it can't be prevented. But a later tech might allow you to cancel the detonation.)

3) Include in the boarding tree modifiers toward preventing detonation once the timer has been set. In other words, if the ship has been set to blow, the boarders have a chance to 'defuse' the process that is based on their boarding tech (vs the defender's escape pod tech). This ONLY WORKS if the ship has been fully captured before the timer is done counting down. If the timer finishes while the boarders are still 'capturing' then the ship explodes 100% of the time. Thus the benefit of faster detonation/escape pod technologies from earlier.

The idea here is to turn what used to be a UI convenience from a mechanically awkward 'cheat' into a more fleshed out game play mechanic that I think people would find pretty familiar from science fiction in general.

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (2/6/2014 11:09:24 PM)

The crew are sent back in the teleportation machine back on the mother ship.

Hyena Grin -> RE: Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (2/7/2014 1:31:33 AM)

I can't tell if that's a joke. =P So I'll just assume it's not.

So we need to research passenger compartments in Shadows, and basic armor, etc etc, but mass teleportation of individuals across star systems is a gimme? Why do we even need troop transportation if we can just beam people around?

Anyway, even if that's how the lore wants to handle it, substitute 'teleporter technology' for 'escape pods' and the suggestion remains the same.

DeadlyShoe -> RE: Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (2/7/2014 1:42:10 AM)

This is entirely a matter of player choice. Yeah, you could manually self destruct every ship that gets boarded, but you don't have to... and its a lot of micro >_>

Tcby -> RE: Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (2/7/2014 2:31:26 AM)

It was a joke [;)]

ASHBERY76 -> RE: Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (2/7/2014 3:49:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hyena Grin

I can't tell if that's a joke. =P So I'll just assume it's not.

So we need to research passenger compartments in Shadows, and basic armor, etc etc, but mass teleportation of individuals across star systems is a gimme? Why do we even need troop transportation if we can just beam people around?

Anyway, even if that's how the lore wants to handle it, substitute 'teleporter technology' for 'escape pods' and the suggestion remains the same.

Teleporting devices only have limited range and is too expensive to produce on mass.Goods are already teleported to the planet surface from stations.

ReadeB -> RE: Auto-Scrapping vs Boarding (2/10/2014 3:58:34 PM)

I like the idea of escape pods, but I think a simple surrender mechanism would make more sense. Escape pods would just give fighters some target practice.

Would make pirating easier as well. If firepower of the enemy is such that you will be destroyed in one or the next shot, offer to surrender.

The ship would become "abandoned" and easily claimed by the enemy.

Might be based on your empire's reputation. Assume the crews would be allowed to safely return home, or..... to be tortured for information and sent into slavery.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI