allies responding to "mark hostile" command (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Yokes -> allies responding to "mark hostile" command (2/22/2014 2:46:24 AM)

I noticed that if I manually mark a contact as hostile, my ally also registers that contact as hostile. Is that the desired behavior? I would expect my ally (friendly posture) to still consider that contact as unknown until it is ID'd. What if it is to a country that is hostile to my side, but neutral to my ally?

On the other hand, if this was a design choice I can see the logic behind it.

Edit: now I see that my understanding of the "friendly" posture is incorrect. I was thinking that "friendly" meant you shared contact information, but you would not treat the same contacts with the same level of hostility. For example, in the scenario I am working on the US is hostile to the USSR, but Japan is neutral in the conflict. I don't want Japan attacking the Soviets, but I do want them sharing contact info with the US. However, whenever a Soviet unit attacks my units, the Japanese consider them hostile. That's not what I want.

I am going to try something else: I will make Japan neutral to the US, and make a third side that is friendly to both sides. I think that will allow the contacts discovered by Japan to be passed to the US without causing them to go hostile.

Edit 2: adding a third side didn't work. If I set the US to neutral to Japan, and Japan friendly to the US, I can see the Japanese units and their contacts. However, they don't see any of my units, so they will act to ID them when they detect them. [:@] Also, won't the Japanese turn hostile against the USSR if they observe them attacking a "friendly" unit? Won't that defeat the purpose?

Any advice?

Yokes

navwarcol -> RE: allies responding to "mark hostile" command (2/22/2014 4:05:25 AM)

I have used this type of design in a scenario I am nearly finished with. I say "nearly finished" because some pieces, including this, I have not entirely tested.
That said, I have tested enough to know that I think the best way to do what you are trying to do, is make the side unarmed so that it can not attack. Give them appropriate sensors, make them friendly to the US, neutral to the Russians..perhaps civilian type vessels, or even radar networks, as long as you remove any weapons that may fire.
That should get your results, even if they ID Russia as hostile, they would never commit a hostile act, so they would not trade fire with the Russians.

Yokes -> RE: allies responding to "mark hostile" command (2/22/2014 5:02:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: navwarcol

I have used this type of design in a scenario I am nearly finished with. I say "nearly finished" because some pieces, including this, I have not entirely tested.
That said, I have tested enough to know that I think the best way to do what you are trying to do, is make the side unarmed so that it can not attack. Give them appropriate sensors, make them friendly to the US, neutral to the Russians..perhaps civilian type vessels, or even radar networks, as long as you remove any weapons that may fire.
That should get your results, even if they ID Russia as hostile, they would never commit a hostile act, so they would not trade fire with the Russians.

navwarcol,

That's a clever approach. However, it's not going to work for me. I need the Japanese to be armed so that I can script them to turn hostile at a later time.

I tested my previous approach (US neutral to Japan, Japan friendly to US) and it didn't work. As soon as the Japanese observed the Soviets shooting at the US they turned hostile.

I just don't think it's possible to do what I want with Command right now. I would need another posture, "allied", that acts like "friendly" does now. A friendly side would then provide contact information but would not turn aggressive if the side they are friendly to was attacked.

Yokes

mikmykWS -> RE: allies responding to "mark hostile" command (2/22/2014 5:19:47 AM)

Yeah the evolution of the postures might be getting a little complex here. We're not planning on doing any changes to postures in the near future unless something is broke although we'll definitely get to a possible event editor addition later on.

Will think this over tonight to see how you might do it.

Mike

Yokes -> RE: allies responding to "mark hostile" command (2/22/2014 3:16:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Yeah the evolution of the postures might be getting a little complex here. We're not planning on doing any changes to postures in the near future unless something is broke although we'll definitely get to a possible event editor addition later on.

Will think this over tonight to see how you might do it.

Mike

Mike,

I agree that the current system isn't broken. I'm fine with this being a "we'll think about it someday" thing.

I think I can make the scenario still work pretty well even if the Japanese turn hostile early.

Thanks for the response.

Yokes

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI