Updates (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support

philabos -> Updates (2/27/2014 3:51:37 PM)

My updater is apparently fried, run time exception - I see I am not the only one to have this problem.
I am up to 1.1.1 - can anyone suggest where to manually download the updates? I looked in the member section under MWIf
and my games and there is nothing. I understand just loading the latest patch is not the thing to do.
Thanks

joshuamnave -> RE: Updates (2/27/2014 3:56:25 PM)

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/296/downloads/

My patcher is also fried. The link above will get you to the latest patch. But I wouldn't install it if I were you...

Sabre21 -> RE: Updates (2/27/2014 4:34:22 PM)

I had to reload my game due to a fried hard drive. After doing that, the updater started to work for me again.

philabos -> RE: Updates (2/27/2014 9:44:14 PM)

Can I load the 1.15 on top of a 1.1.1 installation. At some point I read you have to install every patch in order?

paulderynck -> RE: Updates (2/28/2014 6:56:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warrenup

Can I load the 1.15 on top of a 1.1.1 installation. At some point I read you have to install every patch in order?

No, each patch includes all previous ones. You may want to hold off on 1.1.5 due to the lag time issues being reported. But if you go the link shown in Post #2, you could check if 1.1.3 is still there for downlaoding and upgrade to that version.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Updates (2/28/2014 1:20:55 PM)

Hi guys,

Can you provide more information on when the auto-updater stopped working for you? Did it work at some point and then stop after an update, or at random?

Regards,

- Erik

joshuamnave -> RE: Updates (2/28/2014 1:44:53 PM)

Uh Erik, you know there are numerous threads about this, including almost every thread about a new patch. Most contain exactly the information you've just asked for.

Yes, it worked for me (and most that have posted) for a while, then stopped after an update. It wasn't the same update for everyone - mine worked after others stopped, but then mine stopped working as well. I've posted in the past regarding which update was the last to work for me, but I no longer remember the answer.

WarHunter -> RE: Updates (2/28/2014 2:34:31 PM)

The original updater worked til about 1.07. All installs from the disk have been like LAW rockets. 1 shot update then fubar. Don't even try to reinstall anymore. Just do the manual download and update for each of 3 installs.

AxelNL -> RE: Updates (2/28/2014 4:54:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: WarHunter

The original updater worked til about 1.07. All installs from the disk have been like LAW rockets. 1 shot update then fubar. Don't even try to reinstall anymore. Just do the manual download and update for each of 3 installs.

There are various points from where the auto updater stopped working for individuals, and it is still working for some of us. The one in my Beta folder is broken from 1.1.1 The one in my Essen release folder still works and I can use it to update the game in the Beta folder. I think it can get damaged during the proces of updating itself, because that part functioned, and after updating itself the error appeared.

ksandgren -> RE: Updates (2/28/2014 5:35:01 PM)

As I said in the 1.0.9 update problem topic, the problem first occurred for me after the 1.0.9 patch download. Since then, delete the game and re-install will cause the updater to work again ONCE (since it is 1.0.0 or 1.0.4 at that point, but the moment it is used to update to the current patch it ceases to work and any attempt to do so gives a message. This was true with 1.1.1 and 1.1.3. With 1.1.5 I downloaded from the downloads section - not the updater, but the same error message occurs if I try to use it "Run time error (directory call out for updater) abnormal program termination".

paulderynck -> RE: Updates (2/28/2014 7:17:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

Uh Erik, you know there are numerous threads about this, including almost every thread about a new patch. Most contain exactly the information you've just asked for.

Yes, it worked for me (and most that have posted) for a while, then stopped after an update. It wasn't the same update for everyone - mine worked after others stopped, but then mine stopped working as well. I've posted in the past regarding which update was the last to work for me, but I no longer remember the answer.

+1

I posted multiple experiences with trying different things and understand from one of the other beta testers that my "theory" (could be as good as the one about the Brontosaurus) was PM'd to Andrew.

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Updates (3/1/2014 12:25:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Can you provide more information on when the auto-updater stopped working for you? Did it work at some point and then stop after an update, or at random?

Regards,

- Erik

The problem with the Updater is not dependent on the MWIF version.

I have 4 different computers with the Updater working on 3 of them and not working on the other. That leads me to conclude that there are local files on the computer which the Updater uses. Sometimes those files are fine, and at other times they are 'damaged' in some way.

philabos -> RE: Updates (3/1/2014 3:02:02 AM)

Mine quit at 1.1.1 so there does not seem to be a pattern with a specific update.
It does some unique to this game at least in my experience.

Zorachus99 -> RE: Updates (3/1/2014 4:04:37 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shannon V. OKeets

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

Regards,

- Erik

The problem with the Updater is not dependent on the MWIF version.

I have 4 different computers with the Updater working on 3 of them and not working on the other. That leads me to conclude that there are local files on the computer which the Updater uses. Sometimes those files are fine, and at other times they are 'damaged' in some way.

I would try emptying the windows/temp folder and/or installing CCleaner, and performing a thorough wipe of temp files.

Sometimes the fix can be simple, using filemon or other tools can be very useful debugging an install failure.

KosMic -> RE: Updates (3/1/2014 6:57:22 PM)

I just ran into this on both of my computers. In both cases it seems to be downloading fine for a few minutes until it gets almost to the end, then i get "Error: Unable to download file. An error occurred when downloading information from the server." I've tried downloading several times on each of my computers with no luck.

paulderynck -> RE: Updates (3/1/2014 11:13:41 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KosMic

I just ran into this on both of my computers. In both cases it seems to be downloading fine for a few minutes until it gets almost to the end, then i get "Error: Unable to download file. An error occurred when downloading information from the server." I've tried downloading several times on each of my computers with no luck.

That's quite a different problem than the rest of us are having. The typical thing we see when the auto-updater fails is an instantaneous "Runtime" error.

Yours sounds more like a communications time-out or a folder permissions problem.

Ostwindflak -> RE: Updates (3/2/2014 4:54:37 AM)

Auto updater works fine here. Never had issues with it.

AndyG1 -> RE: Updates (3/2/2014 6:58:59 AM)

Updater has never worked for me since initial download install. I brings up a box saying:-

Downloading: Update information from server #1
Creating handle.

The white box never indicates it's started downloading anything, however long I leave it. When I try to close this box using the 'X' it says it's 'not responding.

It's not an issue so long as I can update by downloading the updates and running them that way. Just thought I'd add how my issue relates to others (seems different in that it never tries to download anything at all).

Andy

KosMic -> RE: Updates (3/3/2014 2:14:21 PM)

I am still having the problem I mentioned above in Post #15. It appears the download gets to the end, but then pauses before moving to the next step, which I assume is installation. Then I get the error message noted above.

I'm not sure what to do. Re-installing seems pointless, as it has happened multiple times on both of my computers with version 1.1.5. I was OK on both up to version 1.1.3. Perhaps I should wait until the next version comes out and try again?

AxelNL -> RE: Updates (3/3/2014 6:04:50 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KosMic

I am still having the problem I mentioned above in Post #15. It appears the download gets to the end, but then pauses before moving to the next step, which I assume is installation. Then I get the error message noted above.

I'm not sure what to do. Re-installing seems pointless, as it has happened multiple times on both of my computers with version 1.1.5. I was OK on both up to version 1.1.3. Perhaps I should wait until the next version comes out and try again?

Until Matrix fixes this I can only advice to copy the updater executable and the data file which belongs to it after the fresh install. One of us tried to copy them over the files which got damaged, and that worked. I don't know if that will work at your side, but perhaps worth a try.

I have two working MWIF installations, and only the Beta version got fried in 1.0.9. I have been succesfully using the updater from the commercial version since to update both installations.

I think the update gets damaged in the download proces. It first updates itself before it does the game, and at my side the first succeeded and crashed when trying to start the download for the game itself. Looks like the "phoenix process" did not follow through, leaving the updater in its own ashes.

Manack -> RE: Updates (3/3/2014 10:28:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: AndyG1

Updater has never worked for me since initial download install. I brings up a box saying:-

Downloading: Update information from server #1
Creating handle.

The white box never indicates it's started downloading anything, however long I leave it. When I try to close this box using the 'X' it says it's 'not responding.

It's not an issue so long as I can update by downloading the updates and running them that way. Just thought I'd add how my issue relates to others (seems different in that it never tries to download anything at all).

Andy

I've had this same problem since the beginning as well. I never use the auto updater and rely on the ftp site.

Andrew Loveridge -> RE: Updates (3/4/2014 1:41:28 PM)

The error with not downloading the update at all, is most likely related to a firewall or Anti-virus issue. You can try disabling them or making an exception to the Update exe, to allow it to download the Update installer.

I have not been able to replicate the issue with the updater failing after working previously. It seems random, but unique to this title, I will continue to look into it.

Best Regards,
Andrew

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI