A few more game questions (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series

Sabre21 -> A few more game questions (3/3/2014 1:23:35 AM)

1. When the LOS is activated, what are the numbers in each of the LOS hexes?

2. I noticed a clear day is supposed to be 5000m. That really isn't very far, just over 3 miles. How do the systems that have sights that can out well beyond that work..or do they?

3. The rulebook mentions visibility, what about ceiling? Is that taken into account when calling in airstrikes or helicopter support? If the ceiling (bottom of the clouds) is too low, fast movers just can't be very effective.

4. Are winds and wind direction taken into account? This could have an impact on how effective smoke or chemical weapons are not to mention fog.

Speaking of chemical weapons, helicopters are greatly affected by the stuff. You get anywhere near a contaminated area and them big egg beaters just suck that stuff right into the cockpit. We practiced flying with NBC suits and masks all the time, even at night while wearing NVG's. That was never any fun especially in the desert.

CapnDarwin -> A few more answers... (3/3/2014 11:21:42 AM)

1. They are a rough order estimation of the visibility to target through the intervening terrain.

2. There is also a very clear 10k setting that pops up periodically. Systems with T-sights and radar can see beyond this eyeball range usually out to max weapon. The cover status of the targets does play into that equation so having an 8km range does not mean that all targets get spotted in the 8km bubble.

3. We have an abstraction of ceiling via weather. If there is fog/rain, then only All Weather capable aircraft can fly missions. Same for night and night capable air units.

4. More so when we do the advanced weather model. We do have factors for smoke burn off if the weather is bad. And I believe you can't fire chem in the rain. Need to verify that. We do want to integrate these effects much better with the advanced weather system for 2.1.

5. Helos should be affected if they fly into contamination. If you are seeing different results let us know and we'll fix it.

Thanks for the Q's!

MBot -> RE: A few more answers... (3/3/2014 12:22:03 PM)

I did fly Gazelles and Lynx through chemical hexes without contamination. If I remember correctly also the manual suggest that you can fly safely through contaminated hexes.

Though now that you mentioned it, these helos did suffer from extremely fast readieness drop. I assumed that it is a simulation of running out of fuel but it might aswell have been chemical contamination. I am pretty sure through that the unit description didn't mention it.

CapnDarwin -> RE: A few more answers... (3/3/2014 12:49:29 PM)

Thanks for the info. We will generate a bug report and check it out during the work on 2.04.

Sabre21 -> RE: A few more answers... (3/3/2014 2:06:23 PM)

6. This new weather model you plan on using, will it include sporadic weather or will the weather be constant across the entire map?

7. Most US Army helicopters were using Nvg's to fly at night in the late 80's, especially in Germany. Even the Apaches were having 1 crewman use NVG's while the other used the Flir. Although in very bad weather or heavy fog you couldn't use them effectively. A third of all my flight time was at night using Nvg's. Firing rockets and 20mm was pretty easy to do out to around 1000m, but to fire the Tow or go longer ranges we needed to fire flare's ourselves or call them in from the arty. I can't say how the other armies night vision programs were by the late 80's, but for the US Army, we were in pretty good shape. So I'm wondering if that is taken into account when considering night capable aircraft? by the way, A-10's were using Nvg's too, the Lantirn pods were still pretty new I believe.

FroBodine -> RE: A few more answers... (3/3/2014 5:11:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Capn Darwin

1. They are a rough order estimation of the visibility to target through the intervening terrain.

So, is the number a percentage? So, 65% means you have a 65% chance to see through this hex? The higher number, the better visibility into and through that hex? Or is it something else?

CapnDarwin -> RE: A few more answers... (3/3/2014 7:58:40 PM)

The higher the number the better the visibility through the hex.

CapnDarwin -> RE: A few more answers... (3/4/2014 12:50:11 PM)

To catch up...

@Sabre21, 6) We plan on using a scripting type system with a bit more detail (more visibility options, wind speed, cloud cover, etc.) to allow the scenario designer to build a weather plan and also be able to give the player a weather forecast during the briefing.
7) We do take account of the platform equipment for night ops.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI