RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames

Ostwindflak -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (12/15/2014 4:33:23 PM)

waltero, you can always buy the board game version of WiF. That has a functional multiplayer if you can find some opponents. [;)]

AlbertN -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (12/16/2014 3:07:23 PM)

To meet face to face has quite some issue for most people, not to speak of the space required!
I am not sure which of the two would be most difficult!

76mm -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (12/16/2014 7:40:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo
...I know the beta testers and myself cannot figure what you are complaining about, it just does not happen when we play, there are a few bugs that's for sure but none in the area your talking about, you mentioned windows 7 home and that might be a problem well I have windows 7 home also and have none of these problems.

I realize you're trying to help and appreciate it, but when someone is asking about the state of the game I think it is only fair to mention that not everyone is having a flawless experience with this game. I specifically mentioned in my post that others don't seem to be having any problems, but I can assure you that I'm not making any of this up.

I don't know how many beta testers there are, but I doubt that you cover the universe in terms of hardware/OS, etc. Maybe some things are user error on my party, but I don't think that I'm doing anything very unusual. I also don't think that running Windows 7 Home is particularly strange, and have never heard of a specific flavor/language of an OS as being a game issue before.

I'm using 1.2.1.5 of MWIF.

bo -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (12/16/2014 8:03:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: 76mm

quote:

ORIGINAL: bo
...I know the beta testers and myself cannot figure what you are complaining about, it just does not happen when we play, there are a few bugs that's for sure but none in the area your talking about, you mentioned windows 7 home and that might be a problem well I have windows 7 home also and have none of these problems.

I realize you're trying to help and appreciate it, but when someone is asking about the state of the game I think it is only fair to mention that not everyone is having a flawless experience with this game. I specifically mentioned in my post that others don't seem to be having any problems, but I can assure you that I'm not making any of this up.

I don't know how many beta testers there are, but I doubt that you cover the universe in terms of hardware/OS, etc. Maybe some things are user error on my party, but I don't think that I'm doing anything very unusual. I also don't think that running Windows 7 Home is particularly strange, and have never heard of a specific flavor/language of an OS as being a game issue before.

I'm using 1.2.1.5 of MWIF.

There is about 7 of us from time to time, only a few are computer savvy, I know I am not, I get along all right, but OS systems are a bane to a lot of us, I cringe when something goes wrong on my computer, and I know nothing about specific flavor/language being anything. I turn on the computer and if the game plays without problems I am a happy camper.

But IMHO something has to be seriously wrong with your computer or the way the game is installed, and certainly no one here in the beta section is blaming you for your troubles, or that your making something up, that goes without saying.

I do not like to see any player unhappy with the game, not you or anyone else. We here would like to see your game running well.

Bo

76mm -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (12/17/2014 2:11:48 AM)

I haven't re-installed yet, but will probably try that if the problems re-appear, although I'll be out of pocket for about a month.

While I appreciate the beta tester's efforts, it sounds like a fairly small base and I wouldn't be surprised if some things had slipped through the cracks.

GARY L -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (3/18/2015 8:46:20 PM)

Eric

Can we get a State of the Game and Future Plans for March 2015?

Gary

Joseignacio -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (3/20/2015 11:46:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Ostwindflak

waltero, you can always buy the board game version of WiF. That has a functional multiplayer if you can find some opponents. [;)]

Which is usually almost impossible. So, it's about the same.

Cataphract88 -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (3/20/2015 1:40:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GARY L

Eric

Gary

+1

Centuur -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (3/20/2015 8:01:56 PM)

At this moment, Steve is still fixing naval combat bugs and Netplay bugs. The bug list after those are fixed contains a lot of other things too. My estimation is that bug hunting will continue for several months, before anything else will be targeted. That seems to be the most logical way to proceed, I believe.

But I agree that there should be something of an "order of battle" made public the moment Netplay is really working as it should. That's not being discussed now, since it is a little to early to do so, I believe.

rapidfire2013 -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (4/6/2015 11:28:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GARY L

Eric

Gary

+1

Erik Rutins -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (4/7/2015 6:12:55 PM)

Hi guys,

I will post a new "State of the Game" in the next few weeks, thank you for the reminder.

Regards,

- Erik

Smokey2 -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (4/30/2015 2:29:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Erik Rutins

Hi guys,

I will post a new "State of the Game" in the next few weeks, thank you for the reminder.

Regards,

- Erik

Any update on a new "State of the Game".

Thanks
Smokey

joshuamnave -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/11/2015 7:27:20 AM)

quote:

Hi guys,

Regards,

- Erik

And a month goes by. It's pretty easy to see where we are on the list of things Matrix gives a *bleep* about.

Centuur -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/11/2015 1:05:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Zartacla

quote:

Hi guys,

Regards,

- Erik

And a month goes by. It's pretty easy to see where we are on the list of things Matrix gives a *bleep* about.

This is what Steve has written in his monthly reports:

After fixing a few more bugs in Supply (mostly having to do with when to recalculate supply after units move) I will be giving NetPlay more testing in its two player version in May. I’ll also whittle away at some of the older bugs on my task list. That’s in preparation for beginning work with a fresh slate on the missing optional rules.

This information seems to be enough, doesn't it?

joshuamnave -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 6:23:25 AM)

No. If it was, I wouldn't have posted anything. Steve posts a status report every month. That tells us what he's doing, what he's working on, and for those who are interested in details about his health and hobbies, gives some interesting tidbits about his life. Erik Rutins posted a long status update from Matrix' point of view over a year ago. Since Steve is not an employee of Matrix, the two are not identical. A little over a month ago, Erik promised to give us a new state of the game within a few weeks. That was the last time he's posted to the boards. So I stand by my previous statement - there is no indication that Matrix cares at all about this hobby project now that they've collected our money.

NielsJuel -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 10:55:44 AM)

On principle I have to agree. When you make a promise, keep it or donīt make it. But it is just another broken promise, and I canīt say I am surprised.

tacfire -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 1:36:50 PM)

For once I agree with Zartacla entirely

Smokey2 -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 2:52:39 PM)

Seems to be dead or at best dying - not even able to give us an update of the plan going forward. I'll come back in six months to a year and see if anything is happening in terms on a functional AI.

Smokey

YohanTM -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 7:36:30 PM)

I would really like to see the focus on fixing what is currently broken not working on missing optional rules.

AlbertN -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 8:51:41 PM)

I somehow agree Matrix has not a deep interest in M-WiF, the game being very of niche and they got the cash already.
Meanwhile I've a few titles of Matrix Games anyhow they are hardly producing new WW2 games of my interest (War in the West I've carefully avoided after the War in the East experience I had.); and the other titles churned out on WW2 Grand Strategy that resemble tabletops are pratically Strategic Command remakes in different form but same concept (Time of Fury, and company). I dare say the only worthy one around here by Matrix Games is the pretty old Gary Grigsby World at War. (Yes, I like production and grand strategy, more than the tactical details of a scenario I can go through all over.)

On the other hand I believe Mr. Shannon has made the project something personal, as someone defined it - a hobby. Which probably as long as he can, he can keep working on. Because a hobby is a passion.

I believe Matrix has bigger hopes for this, I think somewhere I've seen the label "World in Flames product one" in fact - that suggested if the sales went well Matrix could have invested in a deeper effort and possibly to try to get more cash later on with expansions (America Aflame, etcetera). Marketing results probably not warranted the effort in a larger project being desiderable from a Company standpoint.

In general the issue is "how much" a game is immediate, and the customers can get a grip of it and play (Just imagine the comparison across DOS-OS, Windows and Unix. Most of "players" use Windows. DOS is old. Unix is more demanding in terms of knowledge). So a Company go for what people wants - a game to play easily, at immediate hand (read, Panzer General clones for example, which by now we've in all sauces, from Panzers of WW2, to Space Marines of WH40k, and so forth). WiF is not that kind of game.

Therefore I'd suggest to all the players who bought MWiF, enjoy it as it is. Arrange your games with others via Skype / Teamviewer; play solo; shelve the game and wait if you prefer ... but the wait will be long due to the "resources" committed to this project.
I know I've spend 100~ euros about for a game - paying for manuals I am not really needing (the PDFs are more than enough); so I best get my fun out of it. And that is what I suggest everyone, the game is playable, with some house rule and maybe adjustments of fair play. Seek out someone from your timezone, and arrange some weekly session for it, the juice of strategy games is to play against another opponent, a human one.

My analysis, my advice.

Matrix's free to prove me wrong obviously, and maybe in a month announce America or Patton in Flames, who knows.

AxelNL -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 9:12:25 PM)

Guys - I see Steve fixing loads of smaller bugs currently. It needs to be brought to you, but there is steady progress from what I see.

Jagdtiger14 -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/12/2015 11:18:47 PM)

Cohen: I agree with everything you wrote other than, I hope product 2 will be Fatal alliances.

This thread is about the state of the Game and future plans. The villain here is Erik Rutins...who is not responding and even in post #71 above mentions he will respond "in a few weeks"...which was 5 weeks ago and counting. In my opinion Matrix needs someone to give regular monthly or at least quarterly updates on this subject similar to how Shannon does his monthly reports.

bo -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/13/2015 12:31:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jagdtiger14

Cohen: I agree with everything you wrote other than, I hope product 2 will be Fatal alliances.

This thread is about the state of the Game and future plans. The villain here is Erik Rutins...who is not responding and even in post #71 above mentions he will respond "in a few weeks"...which was 5 weeks ago and counting. In my opinion Matrix needs someone to give regular monthly or at least quarterly updates on this subject similar to how Shannon does his monthly reports.

Hi Jag, by the way I play World of tanks and one of my tanks is a Jagdtiger whew what a beast, it's rifle is awesome.

I read and reread these last few posts here Zar's, Cohen, Yohan, tacfire, Smokey2, NeilsJule and of course yours. I read frustration, despair, betrayal for putting a lot of money out for this game. It is difficult to defend the indefensible, but I am a naive fellow and trust almost everyone, of course to a point, but I will try and of course my heart is not in it.

I signed a NDS form some 4 years ago not sure what I signed and at this point I do not care. I felt things were being handled wrong when I joined the beta team some 4 or 5 years ago, I was not using hind sight which by the way I am very good at [;)] I felt that the AI should have been done first for the sake of sales and I still feel today it was major error.

Major disagreement with me over that feeling by niche players known as Wifer's. I see the value of net play if you feel playing humans is the only way to play, but I said before I want to play when I want to, not wait around for another players time table.

I for one cannot believe that Matrix does not care anymore about the completion of this game. I do not feel that Erik is the villain here in any way shape or form, I have had rough posts and e-mails with Erik over this game and it's direction but I always got an honest from the heart answer even if we did not agree on the direction of the game.

If you find him at fault for not following up on his post that he would post something in a month that is up to you but if he has nothing to report what then. Should he make something up to satisfy certain posters I think not.

His information comes from Steve who is working hard on this game, there are still problems with net play and I know Steve would love to say ok Erik were on. Barbarossa looks almost bug free to me as I have yet to see one this week, Fascist tide is playing very well but Steve explained that certain elements must be added according to the scenario rules.

Optional rules will be added if possible after all game stopping bugs are removed if there are any. I feel communications have not been real good here over the years but that is just me.

Zar said this is the best global war game around and I feel he is right, so now what, are we going to run out and buy a soso computer war game from some company, and within a couple of months it has lost its attraction do to poor replay. I am so frustrated I could curse [not allowed to] with this game, you feel you lost a lot of money and I feel I lost a lot of hours testing this game.

Not complaining about my hours, when I give up believe me its over and we are along way from that conclusion. I might be naive but I do not bullcrap anyone because I do not know how, and I would like to be trusted by the posters here.

Bo

onkelh -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/22/2015 1:03:16 PM)

Are there any news regarding this topic ?

Nicolai

Cataphract88 -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (5/22/2015 3:40:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: onkelh

Are there any news regarding this topic ?

Nicolai

+1

CrusssDaddy -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (6/2/2015 9:46:51 PM)

[THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR ERIK'S UPDATE]

bo -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (6/2/2015 10:06:12 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CrusssDaddy

[THIS SPACE RESERVED FOR ERIK'S UPDATE]

[:D]

Bo

Erik Rutins -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (6/3/2015 12:34:07 AM)

Sorry all, I went through a family health crisis a week after I posted in April and unfortunately the ramifications of that are continuing. While I have been working, it has slowed me down a lot in terms of my available time and I have not been able to put together a proper update. I did mean what I said when I posted it and I'm sorry I disappointed you all. I'm working with Steve to put together a more full update on the state of the game and do expect to have it posted in the next week or two.

Regards,

- Erik

Tjalfe -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (6/3/2015 6:30:58 AM)

Sorry to hear about the health problems in your family and thank you for letting us know what caused the hold up.

I really appreciate your effort and look forward to the update.

Thanks again,

Edit: spelling

kjgokc2007 -> RE: IMPORTANT: State of the Game and Future Plans as of March, 2014 (7/24/2015 2:45:34 PM)

Can Anyone tell me if NET Play is working or not... I haven't tried it in months but with the newer patches I'm thinking it might work...

Its hard to believe that after over a year Net Play is still a question mark?

[:@]

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI