Get Rid of that Port! Correct file now (Full Version)

All Forums >> [Current Games From Matrix.] >> [World War II] >> Steel Panthers World At War & Mega Campaigns >> SP:WaW Scenarios/Campaigns

Sergio Castaldi -> Get Rid of that Port! Correct file now (2/5/2003 5:07:52 AM)

GET RID OF THAT PORT!
Hypotetical scenario
England vs. Vichy France
Mers el Kebir - Algeria -
October,14th 1940
30 turns

Author: Sergio "Zingales" Castaldi
[email]tatkdg@tin.it[/email]
Traduction: Federico "Resisti" Doveri

Following the unsuccessful Operation Catapult which, in British
Admiralty's plans, had to liquidate the powerful French fleet in the port of Mers el Kebir, the meeting of the joint Chiefs of Staff
decided to put up a new operation in order to destroy the port facilities, neutralise the troops defending it and knock down the
battleship "Bretagne" actually under heavy repair in St.Andrč
dry dock.

Admiral Sommerville, in charge of the operation, decided to employ the battleship "Valiant" and "Resolution", the light cruiser
"Enterprise"...........................

J hope you like it !

Thanks to Federico "Resisti" Doveri and Wild Wilder who has help me !

Sergio "Zingales" Castaldi.

Resisti -> (2/5/2003 3:38:07 PM)

Hi guys.

In addition to make the text translation, I've played it, too. :)

And I suggest you to do the same!

The map is really excellent, a nice piece of artwork, IMO.
The scenario flows well, too, tough there are are few adjustments which should be done: Sergio published it too fast ;)
I'll mail him my notes, and hope to have an updated version here soon.

Bing -> (2/5/2003 9:32:40 PM)

"In addition to make the text translation, I've played it, too. "

The text file in the zip package I downloaded is exclusively Italian language, thus I am not sure what the above statement means.

I have Systran translation software, however for some reason it is poor for the Italian language. Pretty good for German, quite good for French, far as I know all right for Spanish and Portugese - at times incomprehensible when translating Italian. I don't know why this is, but I have stopped using it on Italian except for website labels.

If anyone has an English language text file translation for this scenario I would appreciate them posting it. Looks to be an intriguing battle, could play without the text file but there might be some important combat intelligence in there.

Bing

Resisti -> (2/5/2003 9:42:05 PM)

Bing, txs.

Sergio normally asks me to make the translation in English, from his Italian text, and this is what I've done, and sent it to him.
He probably forgot to include it in the zip.
I'll let him know.

As for the content, there is not a lot of battle tips, just a description of this hypotethical action.

Bing -> (2/6/2003 2:18:56 AM)

All right, Federico. I will try the battle and see how it goes. If the translated text file becomes available please let us know.

Caio,

Bing

Sergio Castaldi -> GET RID OF THAT PORT !CORRECT FILE IS POSTED (2/6/2003 4:40:13 AM)

Hi guys !

J have posted the correct file.

Sergio "Zingales" Castaldi

Redleg -> (2/6/2003 4:40:30 AM)

Zingales has outdone himself with this one. An absolutely brilliant map that makes me envious. Wow!

This is truly nice to look at. An "Artiste" at work.

Zingales has made several scenarios over the past year or so. Each is characterised by an excellent map and research into the actual events depicted in his scenarios.

Recommended!

Bing -> (2/6/2003 7:01:09 PM)

Indeed, a beautiful map. I got a Draw, partially I suppose because I did not find "Ingresso" until I had landed on the northern shore. Took one look at the harbor entrance and decided it would be slaughter to even attempt a landing there. Unfortuntely this meant the commando had to march four or five turns to even get within firing range of the enemy. They have no special weapons, I thought commandos always used neat, exotic items, they always do in the movies.

Despite setting game pref to limited ammo the French aircraft never ran out, they attacked every turn, which isn't very realistic the way I see it. Also, I believe there is a flaw in the scoring: I lost all the gunboats, three or four landing craft I was using for fire support and finally the CL Arethusa but the French scoring did not reflect any of this.

I will also say I think the Royal Navy would have been a tad better with their AA fire. The only hit on a French aircraft was via ground troops - I don't expect the Frenchies to go down in flames, but seems to me at least one HIT from shipboard fire would be appropriate. Also, the idea of a RN BB running out of HE after a few turns is amusing, while still having several turns of smoke is hilarious. Its all in the game, I know that. Just funny, that's all. I did plug a couple Frenchie tanks with the gunboats. I didn't have to break out the Systran for "Sosspetti Campi Mineti!", however we steamed through the "suspected" minefields without incident.

I also think - this is personal, others don't have to agree - the British commado rally is set too low. Mid 60's is fine for regular infantry, for elites such as commados I would think around 80 should be the rally figure.

Still, I got them to fight OK, it was just too far to walk for them to get to all the VH's - the game ended with me closing in on one of the three hexes I couldn't reach. The way the scoring is set up am not sure what I would have gotten if I had captured the remaining three - probably a marginal, which seems odd unless the player has become inured to the less than graceful WAW scoring system. I was probably lucky to get a draw.

My error for landing the troops so far awayfrom the action - I did expect there would be some resistance along the north shore, but it never materialized. Just a long walk, too long as it turned out.

Bing

Sergio Castaldi -> for Bing (2/8/2003 5:50:31 AM)

Bing there is the english version of Get rid that port! now.
So, you can explain yourself many things

Sergio "Zingales" Castaldi

Bing -> (2/8/2003 9:30:03 PM)

Zingari - Is the English language version included with Redleg's Dirty Dozen for Februrary?

Other than the English language text file were there other changes which might change play substantially? Does Anthony Quinn climb up the cliff with a Sten gun in his teeth?

Bingari

Bing -> (2/10/2003 12:31:06 AM)

Yes it is. See, I didn't know a submarine had been there eafrlier, in advance of the battle which is portrayed. That changes EVERYTHING. Now it is James Robertson Justice climbing up the seawall with a Sten gun in his teeth.

If you don't know who James Robertson Justice is, you have either not watched or not paid attention to WW2 movies; he is de rigeur for anything to do with a movie in which there is a WW2 British submarine.

Bing

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI