Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

bartrat -> Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/18/2014 2:31:12 AM)

I am a newbie (had game since 12/26/2013). Playing Japan scen 2 vs AI.

1) I understand that you get airframes on dates stated in game (R&D can make it earlier) no matter what R&D is applied. For engines, if you do no R&D do you still get them on the date stated??

2) If have a AV or CS that is docked at a port (NOT IN task force) does it aircraft still preform the ordered missions or training mission?
Also is a ship is in repair and has float planes (or CV with airgroup) can its air group preform missions or training mission?

rustysi -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/18/2014 3:11:14 AM)

To #1, Yes
To #2, I'm pretty sure you have to station them at the base. IOW put the ship in a TF fly the A/C to the base (or another base within range) and operate them from there. If you place them at the base from a docked ship they will arrive damaged. Go ahead ask me how I know that.[8|] The AV or CS will support them when docked. I don't know if it will from a repair state.

crsutton -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/20/2014 2:55:46 AM)

Air units will train on a ship no matter what the status of the ship-even if it is in a repair yard. I really can't say about other missions as I either have them training or move them to land if the ship is in any port where there is a possibility of attack. CAP maybe, but I don't think I have seen an attack fly from a docked CV.

bartrat -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/20/2014 3:07:54 AM)

Thanks all for the responses.

czert2 -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/20/2014 3:13:50 PM)

JUp, flying any non-traing mission from docked/disbanded ship will be very unrealistick, and even flying training missins is puting string on reality, just imagine flying of the deck of cv and then making slalom arond towers of ships and port cranes...and repeat it on landing.
Lets pretend they train on ship in study rooms and master thier hunting skill with chasing skirts in port bars.

wdolson -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/20/2014 9:43:49 PM)

Training doesn't mean flying all the time, it is a mix of ground and air training. Some units used skeet shooting to train fighter pilots on the ground and I know of one unit commander that trained his men in formation flying using bicycles when there was a shortage of planes.

Bill

czert2 -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/21/2014 5:54:56 PM)

bicycle race on deck of CV...interesing idea :). True that pilot traing was allways splited between land and air training and many things can be trained only on ground (meterology, enemy plane recognition..etc), but it is true that if pilot is grounded for to long time he will lose his flying "feel" and need longer time to be in flying shape, than if he fly regulary (it is similas to driving a car).

geofflambert -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/21/2014 8:49:00 PM)

Carriers are penalized when in port, whether docked, in TF or disbanded. CAP for instance is the job of the land based squadrons. I do not know if this applies in any way to float plane carriers but I generally disband those in port, and the squadrons will operate normally.

I should've mentioned that FP sqds do not become FP carrier trained so that is not a consideration.

wdolson -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/21/2014 10:30:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: czert2

bicycle race on deck of CV...interesing idea :). True that pilot traing was allways splited between land and air training and many things can be trained only on ground (meterology, enemy plane recognition..etc), but it is true that if pilot is grounded for to long time he will lose his flying "feel" and need longer time to be in flying shape, than if he fly regulary (it is similas to driving a car).

The case of the bicycles was a US group in England. I know some fighter squadrons used to shoot skeet off the deck of carriers.

When carriers come into port the air group flies ashore ahead of the carrier as standard practice. At least in the USN. I would expect it's the same with other navies. The game doesn't really do that. It's a minor quirk all told though.

Bill

bartrat -> RE: Engines RD and AV airgroup ? (3/22/2014 4:27:42 AM)

Skeet shooting was also used in the USA to train 4E bomber gunners (early phase training).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI