OT-Lawrence in Arabia (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

crsutton -> OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 4:03:41 PM)

I just finished reading Scott Anderson's "Lawrence in Arabia" which I found to be excellent and recommend to all here. A friend just sent me this news item. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587193/Secret-desert-camp-used-First-World-War-hero-Lawrence-Arabia-discovered-intact-rum-jars-campfire.html

mind_messing -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 4:25:21 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

I just finished reading Scott Anderson's "Lawrence in Arabia" which I found to be excellent and recommend to all here. A friend just sent me this news item. http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2587193/Secret-desert-camp-used-First-World-War-hero-Lawrence-Arabia-discovered-intact-rum-jars-campfire.html

Please, never link to the Daily Mail. The time spent finding the same news on another site is well spent. The terrible "journalism" and sensationalist crap that the Daily Mail spews forth does not deserve revenue from ads.

crsutton -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 4:59:44 PM)

Thanks for the scolding. I know it is the Daily Mail but a search on Google will show that this story is legit and all over the British media.

Cribtop -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 5:05:17 PM)

I will second the recommendation for this book. It provides a broader look at Lawrence of Arabia and puts him in context with other players. Also has good insights into the tragicomedy of insider dealing between the various imperial powers. Finally, I liked the commentary on Gallipoli and the possible, more fruitful alternatives.

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 6:44:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

Please, never link to the Daily Mail. The time spent finding the same news on another site is well spent. The terrible "journalism" and sensationalist crap that the Daily Mail spews forth does not deserve revenue from ads.
warspite1

Linking to the Daily Mail is a billion times better than linking to rags like the Guardian or Mirror....

crsutton -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 6:46:06 PM)

Well, now I feel validated...[;)]

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 6:47:57 PM)

quote:

Well, now I feel validated...[;)]
warspite1

Glad to be of service [;)]

catwhoorg -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 6:55:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Linking to the Daily Mail is a billion times better than linking to rags like the Guardian or Mirror....

Could have been worse even, could have been THE SCUM.

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 6:57:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: catwhoorg

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Could have been worse even, could have been THE SCUM.

warspite1

True...although I would even read that piece of £$%^ (well look at the pictures anyway) over the Guardian any day of the week [:)]

catwhoorg -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 6:58:46 PM)

I am always struck just how much Peter O'Toole looks like TE Lawrence.

If there ever was an inspired piece of casting, that was it

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 7:04:55 PM)

quote:

I am always struck just how much Peter O'Toole looks like TE Lawrence.

If there ever was an inspired piece of casting, that was it
warspite1

Great film [&o]

jcjordan -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 9:36:39 PM)

How different is Anderson's vs "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"? I read that many decades ago

Oh I if you don't know it, they're doing a remake of LOA - may god strike them down [:@]

Cribtop -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 9:52:11 PM)

Ugh on the remake.

Seven Pillars is discussed in detail in Lawrence in Arabia, including several areas where Lawrence likely strained the truth a bit in order to avoid getting into trouble with the authorities.

mind_messing -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/24/2014 11:14:50 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The Daily Mail and the Sun are firmly established as the only newspaper worth less than toilet paper.

Thankfully we have broadsheets.

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 6:39:30 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

The Daily Mail and the Sun are firmly established as the only newspaper worth less than toilet paper.

warspite1

Firmly established? Maybe in your mind. Fact is they happen to be the two most widely circulated daily newspapers in the UK.

The broadsheets together do not sell as many copies as the Daily Mail - or even the 3rd placed Mirror. Pleased to see the Guardian barely scrapes 200,000.

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 6:41:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jcjordan

How different is Anderson's vs "The Seven Pillars of Wisdom"? I read that many decades ago

Oh I if you don't know it, they're doing a remake of LOA - may god strike them down [:@]
warspite1

Is Rafe Macauley in it? [:D]

catwhoorg -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 12:25:13 PM)

quote:

Starring Ben Affleck ?

mind_messing -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 1:13:31 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

Firmly established? Maybe in your mind. Fact is they happen to be the two most widely circulated daily newspapers in the UK.

The broadsheets together do not sell as many copies as the Daily Mail - or even the 3rd placed Mirror. Pleased to see the Guardian barely scrapes 200,000.

The large circulation figures is due to the fact that they appeal to the lowest common denominator in the population.

Just because they sell well doesn't make them good examples of journalism. Fact is (for the Daily Mail at least, can't claim any familiarity with the Sun) it thrives on controversy and sensation rather than anything resembling good journalism.

I get the feeling that you're basing your opinion off your political leanings. I'm not; my judgement of these papers is based off of their journalistic merit alone.

dr.hal -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 3:32:41 PM)

What about "The Independent"??? I thought that a pretty good compromise. But to me the REAL paper is the International Herald Tribune"!!!!!

crsutton -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 4:39:46 PM)

quote:

Seven Pillars is a worthy read (if not somewhat difficult). But you have to bear in mind that it is a memoir and they almost always tend to be self serving. Lawrence was an amazing man but was not above stretching the truth a good bit if it suited him.

crsutton -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 4:41:54 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Does not matter to me. I only read page 3 anyways.

Encircled -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 5:30:09 PM)

Quality tabload

Is this from the Guardian?

jcjordan -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/25/2014 9:14:35 PM)

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Is Rafe Macauley in it? [:D]

Not that I've heard but they could do a Pixar type thing & put Lemchek in it. I'm sure whoever is they'll be best buds for life but then their love interest will switch between them. Afterall TE Lawrence did have an interesting love life didn't he from stories heard [:'(]

Chris21wen -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/26/2014 7:53:11 AM)

quote:

quote:

Starring Ben Affleck ?

.. with a tank, just to make it more exciting.

DSwain -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/26/2014 11:24:46 AM)

I wouldn't use The Daily Mail to line a birdcage

Interesting story about TE Lawrence, nonetheless.

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/26/2014 7:17:33 PM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

warspite1

The large circulation figures is due to the fact that they appeal to the lowest common denominator in the population.

Just because they sell well doesn't make them good examples of journalism. Fact is (for the Daily Mail at least, can't claim any familiarity with the Sun) it thrives on controversy and sensation rather than anything resembling good journalism.

I get the feeling that you're basing your opinion off your political leanings. I'm not; my judgement of these papers is based off of their journalistic merit alone.

warspite1

Guess we'll agree to disagree on that then [;)]

jcjordan -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/26/2014 9:04:20 PM)

I take it that The Daily Mail is UK equivalent to National Enquirer w/ I'm Bigfoots love child stories?

catwhoorg -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/26/2014 11:09:11 PM)

quote:

I take it that The Daily Mail is UK equivalent to National Enquirer w/ I'm Bigfoots love child stories?

That would be the Sunday Sport.

Freddie Starr ate my Hamster
Lancaster Bomber found on the moon

and many many other crazies.
That's assuming its still going.

warspite1 -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/27/2014 4:55:08 AM)

quote:

warspite1

No - nothing like it. The Daily Mail is a serious newspaper.

Encircled -> RE: OT-Lawrence in Arabia (3/27/2014 8:11:15 AM)

Daily Mail headline predictor

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI