RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

barkman44 -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/25/2014 4:26:38 AM)

I remember seeing it and then reading a scale modeling magazines about the Japanese ship models.
They weren't small the carriers were over 20 feet long and had a crewman to navigate.
http://modelshipsinthecinema.com/wp/archives/1548

JeffroK -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/25/2014 8:35:40 AM)

Someone mentioned the movie BATTLE FOR MIDWAY or MIDWAY (Different names in the UK/US)

Can you pick the "errors: in the aircombat scenes.

I have read that a lot of scenes from THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN were added into the movie, I believe the air defence of Midway Is is by Spits and Hurris rather than Wildcats and Buffalos!

pmelheck1 -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/25/2014 9:44:49 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: czert2

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: CaptDave

quote:

ORIGINAL: pws1225

I think I must be the only one on the forum who has not seen TMTSNBN. I almost feel like I'm missing something, but from what's said here, it would be like missing a bad head cold. [:'(]

Nope, I haven't seen it, either. And no intention of doing so!
warspite1

Nope, never seen it either - just a few clips and great lines like:

Danny: I think World War II just started (yep its December 1941 you %^&*U).

and

Evelyn: Do you ever wonder if this war's going to catch up with us?

To watch this film all the way through you have to be a dumb son of a $%^&^* or just have a great sense of humour [:)]

Or just have american view on world events :).

The American view is only from the view point that the movie is told on the American side. There are views of the Japanese side but to me they were more caricatures rather than telling the story of the Japanese side as did Tora, Tora, Tora. TMTSNBN is not a war movie rather it's a love triangle movie set with a military backdrop. The focus of the movie is the love triangle not the battle. Dont get me started on the errors that were put in to further the love story. Other war movies have had a love story. The biggist groan for me and the one I wish I could remove was the American movie Midway With the love story between a pilot and a Japanese national. On the other hand my wife really enjoyed we were soldiers as she is a brat in addition to a military wife so she really liked the light they shed on military wives most movies miss.

JeffroK -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/25/2014 11:13:20 PM)

Too many potentially good war movies have been ruined as a historical article by the perceived need to fiddle with the script/setting.

This could be adding a love interest with the intention of drawing in a female audience (such as THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN) or many British Movies looked to add an American (or one who crossed to Canada to join the war) so the USA box office takings would be increased or an American movie which tweaks the facts to show US involvement.

Same with games, WITPAE is more like a documentry when compared to say HOI which bears little resemblance to history, guess which sold more copies!

mind_messing -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/25/2014 11:32:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK
Same with games, WITPAE is more like a documentry when compared to say HOI which bears little resemblance to history, guess which sold more copies!

The huge degree of freedom and flexibility in HoI 3 was the appeal for most people.

What would the war be like if, in 1936:

Japan decided to create a massive mechanized army to beat China?
Italy decided to invest in a heavy strategic bomber force?
Germany waited till 1941 to build up the Kreigsmarine before declaring war?
ect ect

The historical realism being fudged was a excellent deal in my opinion, seeing as HoI 3 offered a great deal of plausible options rarely seen in WW2 games.

LoBaron -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/26/2014 4:41:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mind_messing

quote:

ORIGINAL: JeffK

The huge degree of freedom and flexibility in HoI 3 was the appeal for most people.

What would the war be like if, in 1936:

Japan decided to create a massive mechanized army to beat China?
Italy decided to invest in a heavy strategic bomber force?
Germany waited till 1941 to build up the Kreigsmarine before declaring war?
ect ect

The historical realism being fudged was a excellent deal in my opinion, seeing as HoI 3 offered a great deal of plausible options rarely seen in WW2 games.

Agreed, that is the strenght of HOI. If only the AI could keep up with those experiments...

Numdydar -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/26/2014 7:45:24 PM)

Which is why HoI 4 is being developed [:D]

LoBaron -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/27/2014 6:49:02 AM)

Right. [:D]

JeffroK -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/27/2014 6:55:45 AM)

Michelm would just send out a patch.

Numdydar -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/27/2014 5:43:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Just in case you did not believe me [:)] HoI 4 really is being developed http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?844-Hearts-of-Iron-IV

John 3rd -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/27/2014 7:06:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: barkorn45

I remember seeing it and then reading a scale modeling magazines about the Japanese ship models.
They weren't small the carriers were over 20 feet long and had a crewman to navigate.
http://modelshipsinthecinema.com/wp/archives/1548

Holy CRAP. I had no idea those models were so huge. Makes sense when one thinks on it but this site does one heck of a good job on the hows and whys. Well done for finding it and bringing it to our attention.
[&o]

LoBaron -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/27/2014 7:12:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Numdydar

quote:

ORIGINAL: LoBaron

Just in case you did not believe me [:)] HoI 4 really is being developed http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?844-Hearts-of-Iron-IV

I do believe you, I just doubt that the AI will be any more successful than in the 3 previous attempts.

The strenght of HOI is at the same time its´ greatest weakness. All those explorations of what-if scenarios are not worth the fuss if the AI cannot cope with players´ creativity.

The game itself is good, and the concept is sound. But the realtime approach requires a LOT of spare time and overlapping timeslots, which I do not have. At the same time the AI is no challenge, except if someone plays 'by the book' and helps it, which is quite disappointing considering what expectations the open game design raises.

Numdydar -> RE: OT Tora Tora Tora (4/27/2014 8:37:54 PM)

Unlike a lot of players of HoI, I used the HQ system and for 90% of the combat, I would just set objectives at the AG level and let the AI run most of the battles. I figured at least the AI was fighting itself lol. Made the game much more balance imho anyway [:)] Of course, I would take over small areas for invasions/para drops, etc.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI