A-24 Banshee (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

margeorg -> A-24 Banshee (4/14/2014 6:52:59 AM)

Hello,

I have a question regarding this aicraft. As far as I understand, it was a land-based version of the Dauntless 2. Anyway, Iīm currently playing a stock scen #1 PBEM as the allies, with PDU on. At the end of April, I have 54 of these Banshees in stock, but I canīt see ANY suitable air group which could upgrade to them. IMHO they could be a worthwile addition to my air forces, as dive bombers are rare in 1942. Any ideas?

Ah, and thereīs another question related to aicraft updates. Several a/c models are designated as "navy-import" instead of "navy" only, and will cost PP to upgrade air units with? Anyone knows why this differentiation is made? It would be great to be able to fill up several groups for training with this a/c, but I barely need the PP for other purposes ...

Barb -> RE: A-24 Banshee (4/14/2014 8:44:44 AM)

Look for the 3rd Bomb Group - HQ plus two squadrons can use them before upgrading to A-20/B-25s. There was also 27th Bomb Group that used them - but it has already withdrawn in mid-march.

crsutton -> RE: A-24 Banshee (4/14/2014 5:01:47 PM)

In one of the betas it was changed to make PDU a little more difficult and costly to take away the total freedom players had with allocating plane types. So for example, your pool of Marine aircraft types are limited and if you want to use a non-historical path (such as giving F6F fighters to a marine shore based unit), you can do it but have to cough up a little coin to do so. Same is for changing a tactical bomber unit to a 4E unit. If the plane type is on the historical upgrade path then there is usually no cost associated with switching.

Lokasenna -> RE: A-24 Banshee (4/14/2014 5:09:46 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

In one of the betas it was changed to make PDU a little more difficult and costly to take away the total freedom players had with allocating plane types. So for example, your pool of Marine aircraft types are limited and if you want to use a non-historical path (such as giving F6F fighters to a marine shore based unit), you can do it but have to cough up a little coin to do so. Same is for changing a tactical bomber unit to a 4E unit. If the plane type is on the historical upgrade path then there is usually no cost associated with switching.

I noticed recently in one of my Allies games, changing airframes was going to cost me 100 PPs. I think I was going from B-26B to B-25C, and the B-25 wasn't in the upgrade path. However, upgrading early to B-17 would have only cost me the standard 75 PPs for upgrading from 2E to 4E (despite a later upgrade to B-24)... strange stuff, but I did assume it was an artifact of PDU On. Just an anecdote, here. Needless to say, I decided I'd save those 100 PPs and just wait for the upgrade date for the B-24s, as B-26s really aren't bad...

afspret -> RE: A-24 Banshee (4/15/2014 8:22:43 AM)

Historically, the 531st FBS flew A-24Bs from Makin Atoll from late '43 to early '44 when it was renamed the 531st FS. The unit returned to Hawaii in Mar 44 and converted to the P-38.

FYI, the 531st originally was formed as the 58th BS (L) and was at PH on Dec 7th flying A-20s. It converted to the A-24 sometime in 1942 and was redesignated the 58th BS(Dive) in Oct 42, before being redesignated the 531st FBS in Aug 43. The unit was then the redesignated 531st FS in Feb 44 and assigned to the 21st FG and finished the war flying Mustangs.

In the game the 58th BS starts out @ PH on turn 1 and later has its designation changed to the 531st FBS then the 531st FS. I'm at work right now & can't check for certain, but I'm pretty sure the A-24 is listed in the PDU for the 58th.

One last thing, there was also a 531st BS, but it was assigned to the 380th BG and only flew B-24s during the war.

margeorg -> RE: A-24 Banshee (4/15/2014 9:18:16 AM)

Thnx for the replies. In fact I do have 2 squads from the 3rd equipped with Banshees, the other 2 are using B25Cs and A20s. For the latter the A-24 is not longer listed among the upgrade options. I will check for the 58th. Would be nice to have a third DB squad.

@crsutton: I understand the intentions of not allowing total freedom in changing aircraft. However, it does not seem logical to force a marine DB squad paying with PPs to use other navy DB models (f.e. they are using old Helldivers, and can only upgrade to Dauntless-3, while the -1 and -2 models are marked as "import". More crazy, this "import flag" changes from squad to sqad. Seems to be not very consistent.

crsutton -> RE: A-24 Banshee (4/15/2014 5:41:05 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: margeorg

Thnx for the replies. In fact I do have 2 squads from the 3rd equipped with Banshees, the other 2 are using B25Cs and A20s. For the latter the A-24 is not longer listed among the upgrade options. I will check for the 58th. Would be nice to have a third DB squad.

@crsutton: I understand the intentions of not allowing total freedom in changing aircraft. However, it does not seem logical to force a marine DB squad paying with PPs to use other navy DB models (f.e. they are using old Helldivers, and can only upgrade to Dauntless-3, while the -1 and -2 models are marked as "import". More crazy, this "import flag" changes from squad to sqad. Seems to be not very consistent.

Can't really pass judgement on the fairness of this issue, it is just what Michael came up with using the input of a lot of players over time. Except for the early months of the war, it is really not a problem for the Allies.

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: A-24 Banshee (10/5/2014 1:28:02 AM)

Resurrecting an old thread

quick one, can I assume this plane to be identical of a navy naval bomber? other than carrier capable of course
in other words, use it mainly to:
NavB: naval attack high at dive bombing alt. (10 to 15K)
BrdB: ground attack high at dive bombing alt

thanks

crsutton -> RE: A-24 Banshee (10/5/2014 1:48:15 AM)

It give you a suitable dive bomber that can carry a 1,000 lb bomb at a time when you are very short of them. I would train the pilots for naval attack and possibly ASW and use them for that role. They are too valuable to squander in ground attacks. You can plan on being short of medium and heavy bombers until well into 1943. I generally keep them as dive bombers for as long as possible and try to use them up.

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: A-24 Banshee (10/5/2014 2:03:36 AM)

Yes, that is the plan. 1st time playing Allies and they start with a huge # of level bombers from the beginning, but very little in terms on naval attack aircraft

Other than few US Marine/ Navy and British TPs, there is not a lot to use against the IJN. Those A-24 will come handy... as soon as there is a trained pool of pilots

thanks

KenchiSulla -> RE: A-24 Banshee (10/5/2014 12:03:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

Yes, that is the plan. 1st time playing Allies and they start with a huge # of level bombers from the beginning, but very little in terms on naval attack aircraft

Other than few US Marine/ Navy and British TPs, there is not a lot to use against the IJN. Those A-24 will come handy... as soon as there is a trained pool of pilots

thanks

I've never seen the A24s carry SAP (just GP). I'm not sure what is causing it so be aware of that...

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: A-24 Banshee (10/5/2014 5:42:44 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cannonfodder

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jorge_Stanbury

thanks

I've never seen the A24s carry SAP (just GP). I'm not sure what is causing it so be aware of that...

I think it is a matter of Army using GP, I have seen the same with Japanese Army 2E bombers not carrying AP.

And still it should work OK for unarmored ships, plust my opponent will have another thing to worry about when moving close to my bases

btd64 -> RE: A-24 Banshee (10/6/2014 11:49:19 AM)

Train for Nav Search also. Helps to locate the target for the Squadron....GP

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI