Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> World in Flames >> Tech Support

deep42 -> Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (4/24/2014 5:26:23 PM)

Hi,

My System has 4 monitors (each 1920x1080) attached with the following layout

3 1 2

Monitor 1: 1920 x 1080 @ 0,0
Monitor 2: 1920 x 1080 @ 1920,0
Monitor 3: 1920 x 1080 @ -1920,0
Monitor 4: 1920 x 1080 @ 0,-1080

After opening a new game either by "New game" or "Restore saved game" the screen layout is somewhat messy.

The Detailed Map is not shown; Spy++ shows that it is on screen position 32767,200, what is slightly out of view ;)
Fortunatley I am able to open another one using the new detailed map Menuitem.

When opening the global map using the view menu (Toggle global map) it is not shown. With some tricks
(entering Alt space Enter V and Cursor keys or mouse) I am able to bring it into view.

The "Units in Hex Window" is sometimes shown, sometimes not shown after starting a new game.
Unfortunately it is not possible to bring it into view with the workaround above because it never gets the keyboard focus.

Attached a screen shot of the player interface setting dialog. MWif sees 4 Monitors, but shows only 3 with with wrong values

Regards
Peter

[image]local://upfiles/48029/1C514A2884AF46E19DEA71E8B214C54C.jpg[/image]

AxelNL -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (4/24/2014 5:52:42 PM)

I think am jealous - and I think cannot help you. The first has had no influence on the second part of the sentence.

It works fine on two. You could try with that setup, and than add a third to see what happens - and if OK than the fourth.

or replace the two pairs by two double sized screens?

deep42 -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (4/24/2014 7:15:05 PM)

Hi Axel,

I did not expect, that someone would provide an easy solution for the 3 and more monitor problem.

But, I think, this is a bug, that should and could easily be fixed.

And in addition, as soon as more than 2 monitors are connected, opening the "Player Interface Dialog" crashes MWIF.

-Peter

Shannon V. OKeets -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (4/24/2014 7:48:13 PM)

Although the players manual says not to do this, you might be able to manually edit the SLY file to solve some of these problems (e.g., the placement of the Units in Hex form).

See pages 205-206 of volume 2 of the Players Manual. If I were editing that file, I would start by making a copy - just in case. And then I would examine the data in a 'good' SLY file (e.g., for 2 monitors) to make sure I understand the description of that file in the players manual. I learn best by seeing examples.

Sorry that I can't give this more attention presently. My new computer system, which is sitting quietly behind me as I type this, supports four monitors and I have 5 monitors within arm's reach, but I really won't have the time to move my development software and files over to the new computer until July.

If you have questions about the SLY file, post them in this thread and I'll answer them as best I can.

deep42 -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (4/24/2014 8:20:52 PM)

Hi Steve,

I dont think that it is a problem with the SLY files.

First, the problem exists when restoring a saved game without touching a SLY file.
Second, at a first glance the SLY files look pretty well, but when opening one
using more than 2 monitors the windows arent restored at the right place.

I think, MWIF gets confused when restoring the window positions on more than two monitors.
Possibly it just uses the wrong values for the Monitor positions as seen in the
"Player Interface Settings" Screenshot above.

I understand, that you currently dont have the time to look into the problem.

So if I will find some time, I will write my own "MWIF window restorer". ;)

-Peter

blackcloud6 -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (6/21/2014 10:21:05 PM)

I too am having this issue when I play with three monitors. The detailed map does not appear as I think it is off screen on my main monitor because the program thinks it is larger than it really is. My monitors are:

left: 1920x 1080
Main: 1440 x 900
Right: 1920x 1080

But the player interface sees them all as 1920x 1080.

if I save a .sly and then restore it later, only the SL and MV forms come up, all the others are somewhere off the screen (I know they exist because if I mouse over the WiF in the tray the main form show in a small window).

How can I get the program to recognize the correct size of the main monitor?

blackcloud6 -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (6/21/2014 10:41:03 PM)

I just tried to "fool" the program into thinking all my monitors are at 1440 x 900 by setting the left and right ones to 1440 x 900. I then started WiF and the same situation occurs as I wrote in the above post. When I open the Player Interface Settings, the program still thinks all three monitors are at 1920 all around. Odd, eh? [&:]

I think what is needed is a way for the user to go in and set what the monitors are set at. Obviously, for more than two monitors, the program is not recognizing the size correctly.

blackcloud6 -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (6/27/2014 1:32:13 AM)

I noticed there is a workaround to the detailed map not showing on starting or resuming a game when using multiple monitors. I had just started a tutorial when I got called to dinner. The game came up without the detailed map showing. But before I played through any of the tutorial I hibernated the computer with the game up. I came up after dinner and activated the computer out of hibernation and presto, the map was there on the middle monitor. So today I started another tutorial and again the detailed map was not there. I immediately hibernated and then reactivated the computer and the detailed map was present on the middle monitor.

So then I moved the detailed map to the left monitor and saved the screen layout under new name. I have yet to try it to see if this will bring up the map when I change to this layout.

Centuur -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (6/28/2014 10:40:32 AM)

Be carefull not to put the Main Form in the upper right corner of any monitor, or you might get into trouble. Also, make sure that this form is on the top of the monitor you are using. There's quite a nasty bug around if the Main Form isn't in that position (form disappearing and not accessible anymore).

blackcloud6 -> RE: Screenlayout Problem on 4 monitor system (6/28/2014 3:18:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Centuur

Be carefull not to put the Main Form in the upper right corner of any monitor, or you might get into trouble. Also, make sure that this form is on the top of the monitor you are using. There's quite a nasty bug around if the Main Form isn't in that position (form disappearing and not accessible anymore).

Thanks, that is good to know.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI