What game was it board or video that you...... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

aaatoysandmore -> What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 8:23:28 AM)

Absolutely had to play as soon as it was out? You skipped school, work, played off sick or whatever to play it. You might have even gone out and bought a brand new computer system to play it. What was it?

IainMcNeil -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 9:00:18 AM)

Civilization - I used to cycle miles to a friends house who had a PC to play it when he went out.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 11:52:16 AM)

wow that is dedication

Ostwindflak -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 12:49:01 PM)

Sid Meiers: Colonization. I was so drawn into that game when it came out that I skipped school to play it. It was the game I would play when I came home from school until 1:00 am when I knew I had to get up at 4:45 am to get ready for school. Something about that game which drew me in like no other game before it.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 1:45:44 PM)

M1 tank platoon 2 - it just promised so much and it did deliver - dynamic campaigns, scenarios, random battles, and later once someone created m1 edit i could make my own maps and battles as big as i wanted - i made maps of vast valleys and larger denser cities, and other maps of armageddpn like showdowns of russian tanks and against abrams, leopards and challengera - i think the other next must play game that i was so eager to play was OPeration Flashpoint - i bought that game before i even had a computer to run it on

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 4:54:03 PM)

I remember for me it was Sword of Aragon that I went out and bought an Amiga 500 I think it were just to play it. Got a lil game called Waterloo too. Sad thing about SoA was it was linear and once you had beaten it it wasn't as much fun just repeating everything again albeit with a different class of character dnd style.

Then in the 90's I bought my first PC 486sx25 just to play this new QQP game called Conquered Kingdoms (I was really into rpg games most of my life)

warspite1 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 5:50:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Absolutely had to play as soon as it was out? You skipped school, work, played off sick or whatever to play it. You might have even gone out and bought a brand new computer system to play it. What was it?
warspite1

Board game - not a board game as such, but an expansion pack. Ships In Flames. Counted the days until that bad boy became available [&o]

Computer game - My mate got a computer and bought John Tiller's Waterloo. Wow, I got my own computer at the earliest opportunity.

terje439 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 6:00:56 PM)

Civilization. Only game to ever get me grounded [:D]
(seems my parents did not appreaciate me getting up after everyone went to bed and play untill morning)

warspite1 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 6:04:03 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: terje439

Civilization. Only game to ever get me grounded [:D]
(seems my parents did not appreaciate me getting up after everyone went to bed and play untill morning)
warspite1

Civilisation II had to be worse than crack cocaine. The number of times I just couldn't drag myself away and ended up playing all through the night....

Work was tough the next day.

My name is warspite and I'm a civaholic....

reg113 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 6:10:18 PM)

Hello warspite.

My name is Bob and I am still a civaholic...

warspite1 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 6:13:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: reg113

Hello warspite.

My name is Bob and I am still a civaholic...

warspite1

Congratulations Bob and welcome. In your own words tell us your story - Which Civ is it? How many turns do you find yourself doing a day? Are you off the Civ at the moment?

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 6:38:47 PM)

What's the longest Civ game you ever played? I went 72 hours one time to the very end.

rodney727 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 7:16:27 PM)

I feel asleep on my chair playing civ2 one time after 24hrs of play... I remember waking up and going straight back to playing. Yes civ2 was/is an addiction, the cure? It's called getting married![:D]
quote:

What's the longest Civ game you ever played? I went 72 hours one time to the very end.

Kuokkanen -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 7:18:22 PM)

quote:

I might had have few of those. Some time after my parents divorced, Steel Panthers was released. My mother had come pick me up to visit her place and I dragged my desktop computer with me. On our way we stopped to buy Steel Panthers. And visit my grandparents (from mother's side). I took computer inside, installed Steel Panthers, and started playing. Little later I had to haul computer back in the car.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/7/2014 11:23:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

I might had have few of those. Some time after my parents divorced, Steel Panthers was released. My mother had come pick me up to visit her place and I dragged my desktop computer with me. On our way we stopped to buy Steel Panthers. And visit my grandparents (from mother's side). I took computer inside, installed Steel Panthers, and started playing. Little later I had to haul computer back in the car.

Wow, the whole desktop computer system. I remember doing that with my Commodore 64 putting it all in a tote bag and taking it to WORK (worked at a water treatment plant) I'd hook it up and play on one of those 5" black n white (later color) tv's back then. I forget which game it was because there were so many I just had to play as soon as they came out and got to me in the mail. I played a lot of Kampfgruppe and Battlegroup I remember that.

Gilmer -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 11:32:02 AM)

Well... I played Nobunaga's ambition on nintendo to the very wee hours many times. I was always trying to upgrade my system, so I cannot remember the exact ones I upgraded for, but I was probably planning on upgrading anyway.

I remember whenever I got a new system, I'd immediately load all my games to see how smooth it would run. I feel pretty confident that I upgraded so I could play Red Baron with very little lag.

And yeah, Civilization. but just the very first one. I played that a lot.

Anguille -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 11:44:26 AM)

Some games

Star Trek: Birth of the Federation...was a huge fan of Star Trek (still am but less) and of Master of Orion...it was a dream come true.

Knights of Honor: Had been waiting months before and i spend at least a year playing that game only.

Celtic Kings Rage of War & the Punic Wars: Fantastic tactical games...when i was in the office, i was thinking about strategies to win specific scenarios and drawing plans of attack...

Imperium Romanum: fantastic city-builder set in the times of Rome....

AbwehrX -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 12:40:27 PM)

quote:

Ostwindflak
Sid Meiers: Colonization. I was so drawn into that game when it came out that I skipped school to play it. It was the game I would play when I came home from school until 1:00 am when I knew I had to get up at 4:45 am to get ready for school. Something about that game which drew me in like no other game before it.

Great game. We had long running tournaments for years and I still play it every once in a while too. Definitely a classic.

Jevhaddah -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 1:34:51 PM)

Elite on C64
Infocom adventure games
Dungeon Master
Ultima Underworld 1&2

Cheers
Jev

warspite1 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 1:40:05 PM)

quote:

warspite1

What total time for a single game? No idea. I spent soooo many hours playing Civ II - but I wasn't addicted, I could give up any time I wanted to...[;)]

reg113 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 5:08:14 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

warspite1

What total time for a single game? No idea. I spent soooo many hours playing Civ II - but I wasn't addicted, I could give up any time I wanted to...[;)]

Yeah, me too. [:D]

I only play one Civ II game a week now.

wings7 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 7:17:18 PM)

Great question...I'd have to say APBA Baseball (board game, Master game) when I first discovered it! [:)]

Patrick

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/8/2014 9:49:59 PM)

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yeah right....isn't the first sign of addiction is admitting you're not and can quit anytime you want to? [:'(]

sanch -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/9/2014 12:54:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Iain McNeil
Civilization - I used to cycle miles to a friends house who had a PC to play it when he went out.

Yep - Civilization taught me that a day of work is tough on a single hour of sleep.

warspite1 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/9/2014 3:02:13 AM)

quote:

quote:

quote:

warspite1

Yeah right....isn't the first sign of addiction is admitting you're not and can quit anytime you want to? [:'(]
warspite1

Yep - that was the joke, following on from the Civaholic comment.......

cantona2 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/9/2014 8:41:09 AM)

Sid Meier's Pirates! by Microprose on the Commodore 64, my mum ended up cutting the power cable of the computer

The Bard's Tale, a whole summer playing with my cousins. I had the 64 they had the Amiga. Pulled sickies to stay at home and not go to the beach!

Oblivion, 27 hour marathon session, told the then GF (now wife) I had tonsillitis and didnt want to infect her! I then slept for 16 hours straight!

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/9/2014 11:57:50 AM)

Cut the power cable off huh? lol that is just sooooo funny I can see one of my ex-wives doing that but not my mum. She'd just give me a lecture on the values of socializing and playing outside.

downloadfreegamess -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/9/2014 12:44:49 PM)

I first ever played mario bros game that was amazing

Kuokkanen -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/9/2014 3:57:35 PM)

You call that amazing? One of the first video games I remember playing was Pong. My perhaps first computer game experience was Wizard of Wor on Commodore 64 - with a friend! THAT was amazing!!

terje439 -> RE: What game was it board or video that you...... (5/9/2014 5:54:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen
My perhaps first computer game experience was Wizard of Wor on Commodore 64 - with a friend! THAT was amazing!!

Loved that one, in the final level there was NO walls I seem to recall [:D]

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI