News from the Conference? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

DevildogFF -> News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 2:04:58 AM)

Weren't we supposed to get news about Universe's release date and price today?

I was really hoping to...

feygan -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 8:34:10 AM)

I think the event was running over two days? Assuming that it does then I would not expect the press to have anything published before Saturday or more likely Monday.

Osito -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 8:56:41 AM)

Must admit, I was assuming there would be an announcement somewhere on these boards pretty much as soon as the news was available at the conference ...

Erik Rutins -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 2:32:50 PM)

Hi guys,

The press event goes for multiple days. Yesterday was a general corporate strategy and message day and we live streamed the question and answer session on Twitch, per the announcement in the HOW2014 forum and our site announcement. Today the game-specific presentations start. I would expect news either later today or tomorrow regarding Distant Worlds: Universe.

Regards,

- Erik

JiminyJickers -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 2:50:33 PM)

Sweet, thanks for keeping us in the loop.

Erik Rutins -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 3:01:17 PM)

Ok, so here's some info:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3610056

Let me expand upon this.

Distant Worlds: Universe will release through our Online Store as well as, for the first time, through Steam. As this includes both the new Universe expansion with greatly expanded modding support and the Ancient Galaxy storyline plus all previous releases, it will give new customers and existing customers a unified installation for future support and modding.

The base price of Distant Worlds: Universe will be $59.99 Download / $69.99 Physical. The Physical version is only available through our store and includes an updated and full color printed Distant Worlds series game manual.

For the release, it will be available at a pre-order price of $49.99 Download / $59.99 physical. This will be the pre-order price through Steam. As we don't do pre-orders through our own store, this will be our release price as well, with a post-release promotional period as with past Distant Worlds releases that allows early adopters to get the game for a lower price, after which it will revert to the permanent $59.99 / $69.99 price level.

We will also be offering existing customers a discount based on what parts of the series they own. It's a $10 discount per release, so if you own everything that's been released so far (Distant Worlds + Return of the Shakturi + Legends + Shadows) then during the post-release promotion period, your price to upgrade to Universe would be $9.99 Download or $19.99 Physical ($49.99 or $59.99 - $40 discount for four previous releases). There will be a page on our site where you can get the upgrade discount coupon. This upgrade will be available through our store only, we don't have a way of doing this through Steam. All you will need to get the upgrade coupon is the serial number for each release.

The release will be on May 23rd.

We plan for there to be one more Shadows update, but all future modding/feature/performance improvements will be based on the Universe level.

Regards,

- Erik

fishy -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 3:55:42 PM)

If we buy the upgrade, will we receive a Steam key?

ChildServices -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 3:59:51 PM)

Woah? Through steam?! Oh my god that's fantastic!

Is there a chance of workshop integration in that case?

Erik Rutins -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 4:58:58 PM)

Yes, if you purchase/upgrade through our store we will offer a Steam key as well. We and Elliot earn the most revenue when you purchase directly through us, but we want to make DW available to the larger community and many new players as well, while offering the most flexibility to our existing community. There will be a page on our site to use your Universe serial number to retrieve a Steam key after you purchase Universe.

Regards,

- Erik

Erik Rutins -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 5:00:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ChildServices
Is there a chance of workshop integration in that case?

It's possible - though we need to spend some more time on that. We want to make sure we do what's best for the community. The new Universe Theme structure works well. We'll see what the modding and wider community prefers as far as mod availability and integration once Universe is released.

Regards,

- Erik

tbrass -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 5:03:28 PM)

Thank you Erik & Elliot!

(and double thanks for clarifying that you earn the most money if we purchase here, and we will also get steam keys)

FingNewGuy -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 5:54:58 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: tbrass

Thank you Erik & Elliot!

(and double thanks for clarifying that you earn the most money if we purchase here, and we will also get steam keys)

Seconded! And while my cost for Universe will be minimal (I already have all previous versions), I will be upgrading through the store.

Upuauta -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 5:55:18 PM)

This is awesome news. I will buy the upgrade (bought the game and the add-ons here). But the best part aside from Universe itself is your decision to release on steam. I´m sure this will give this game a big boost that it really deserves.

tylertoo -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 6:42:36 PM)

Congratulations on all this. Very exciting news.

chrisol -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 7:31:29 PM)

Fantastic - and seems like a good pricing strategy to me...

Chris

Flinkebeinchen -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 10:35:11 PM)

That are very good news [:D]

Hawawaa -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/15/2014 10:43:00 PM)

Good good... Also another vote for Steam Workshop when you guys get the chance down the road. [:)]

RICO7878 -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/16/2014 1:22:03 AM)

Can't wait! Thanks for taking care of us loyal DW fans Erik and keep up the great work! [&o]

Sieben_slith -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/16/2014 2:54:22 PM)

I downloaded all four parts so don't have a printed manual or physical disk. Buying Universe for $19.95 is a no-brainer. Thanks for taking care of past buyers, that's a class act!

I won't use the Steam key for reasons a lot of people share, but hope it will bring a great game to a larger audience.

Tavior -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/16/2014 6:54:19 PM)

I am excited about Universe and to see it on the "upcoming" list under Steam was an electrifying shock!

Now I have just one question about registering it on steam. Will you get a Distant Worlds Universe exe file that you can run without logging on Steam? (Useful for various reasons which is not limited to travel and other reasons) It would just be convenient to be able to run it outside of Steam when Steam is down or something.

Even if you don't do that I will still buy it.

Erik Rutins -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/16/2014 8:04:53 PM)

If you purchase through Steam, we've added no extra DRM so it should work fine in "offline" mode. If you purchase from our store directly, it's the same system as before so you'll get an installer that you can install and run anywhere without any requirement for internet or Steam access.

Regards,

- Erik

Tavior -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/16/2014 9:41:49 PM)

No I didn't meant the offline mode.

I was thinking when Steam is completely disconnect from where you are and you can't log on offline mode (bit crazy but you have to connect to start offline mode). Short of keeping a laptop on power all the time with offline mode. I prefer that when I click on the exe it doesn't force you to log on in either mode.

Is it the later case or when you start up the steam version exe does it still force you to log on?

Erik Rutins -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/16/2014 9:43:18 PM)

Honestly I'm not sure, but I'll give it a try and let you know.

Athelas2211 -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/17/2014 4:56:42 AM)

did u try? I want to know too about starting game without steam in offline. (Though you can start steam in offline now without net access).

Oh, how was strategy part of conference, many players visiting? How many followed twitch?

EDIT: I tried cutting the NET in middle of steam gaming, and start other games and restart steam in offline WITHOUT connection and start games - it all works easily.no problems.

Tavior -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/17/2014 5:23:52 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: athelas.loraiel

did u try? I want to know too about starting game without steam in offline. (Though you can start steam in offline now without net access).

Oh, how was strategy part of conference, many players visiting? How many followed twitch?

EDIT: I tried cutting the NET in middle of steam gaming, and start other games and restart steam in offline WITHOUT connection and start games - it all works easily.no problems.

Huh that is new to me about offline Steam mode and I tried myself to my surprise it works. Obviously there will be some services (achievement, cloud storage, multiplayer, and what not) require a connection.

I still like to know if you can start DW: Universe without Steam running.

Osito -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/17/2014 5:43:36 PM)

I guess the worst case is you buy the game from Matrix, and use the Matrix version if you need to run offline. You'll still be able to use common local save files.

Tavior -> RE: News from the Conference? (5/19/2014 11:38:22 PM)

@Osito: You are right it is not a big deal. Just convenient to be able to.

Either way I am still planning to get it. We will find out if we can run it without Steam soon enough.

4 day left to go!

For the post-release prices promo, How long will that last? One month? Two weeks? I am just asking in case I get so busy this weekend is all.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI