Disable Anti-Virus when installing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support

DrApostle -> Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 3:34:51 PM)

My anti-virus was eating the .exe file faster than a Kaltor could eat an explorer ship!

Be sure you disable anti-virus protection and then add the .exe to the trusted file list before enabling anti-virus protection.

VPaulus -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 4:56:55 PM)

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the game.
Could you please tell us which is your anti-virus?

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 5:03:32 PM)

I had a different problem. There is malware in the third-party download software suggested by Matrix. It took over my browsers and disabled my Norton 360.

I'll have to get Norton Tech Support tonight to fix the problems caused by Matrix's third-party software recommendation.

I strongly urge everyone to use the straight download of DWU from the Matrix site. And shame on Matrix for recommending malware.

Erik Rutins -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 5:05:22 PM)

Hi Tom,

Can you be more specific? Where did you see this recommendation and what download product had malware in it? We would never recommend or link to something we hadn't tested, but if a link has since gone bad we'd like to remove it ASAP.

My apologies if anything we recommended caused a problem for you.

Regards,

- Erik

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 6:09:08 PM)

Erik, it was the first of the two third-party download managers recommended on the DWU download page. I'm at the office now. The imbedded malware was a purported search engine called Troj or Troi something or other. It disabled my Norton 360 and took over the search features on my Firefox, Chrome and Internet Explorer, then refused to be deleted. I had to uninstall and reinstall Firefox and Chrome. I'll do the same for IE tonight.

It's the sort of malware which redirects search requests to malware sites.

I urge Matrix to immediately drop its recommendations of third-party download managers. I doubt you have the means to properly vet third-party freeware.

Tom_Holsinger -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 6:09:49 PM)

Freeware is not free.

Cadune -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 6:22:02 PM)

with the file only being 1gb, there is no real need for a download manager. The file host maxed my download limit so it took 4-5 mins max.

DrApostle -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 6:51:38 PM)

I have Kaspersky.

Bingeling -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 7:25:15 PM)

I don't understand the suggestion for a download manager. It seems so 1998 to me, and a browser today should manage to download just fine, even with interruptions.

FireLion1983 -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 7:59:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bingeling

I don't understand the suggestion for a download manager. It seems so 1998 to me, and a browser today should manage to download just fine, even with interruptions.

LOL, yeah; that was my thought, too. Then again, I guess there are still people on dial-up out there.

otaku -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/23/2014 10:34:00 PM)

Very disappointing [:(]

galenhammond -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/24/2014 7:13:10 PM)

Hi All,

I have Windows 7 with Internet Explorer. After purchase of the Universe Expansion, I clicked on the link in the "my orders" section of the member's club. I had a direct link to download the Universe executable....and there were no options to have a 3rd party download manager assist me. Just food for thought....

OzoneGrif_slith -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/24/2014 11:28:08 PM)

quote:

I urge Matrix to immediately drop its recommendations of third-party download managers. I doubt you have the means to properly vet third-party freeware.

Errr. I downloaded DWU without a download manager, it never asked for one... Where did you download it? o.o

tjhkkr -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/25/2014 1:22:52 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tom_Holsinger

I had a different problem. There is malware in the third-party download software suggested by Matrix. It took over my browsers and disabled my Norton 360.
I'll have to get Norton Tech Support tonight to fix the problems caused by Matrix's third-party software recommendation.
I strongly urge everyone to use the straight download of DWU from the Matrix site. And shame on Matrix for recommending malware.

Have there been any additional problems like this?
I have the software, but have not implemented it yet.

CptDrake -> RE: Disable Anti-Virus when installing (5/25/2014 9:39:54 AM)

Same problem with ZoneAlarm anti-virus. Main file DistantWorlds.exe is treated as a virus and sent to 'quarantine'.

To recover the file and place it as an 'Exception' click as follows:

Main screen - Anti-Virus Firewall - 'View Details'
Anti-Virus and Anti-Spyware - 'Settings'
'Advanced Settings'
'View Quarantine'
Select your file (probably renamed as a virus - eg HEUR:Trojan or UDS:DangerousObject)
'Restore'
'Exceptions'
'Add' - browse to C:\Matrix Games\Distant Worlds Universe\
Select DistantWorlds.exe and click 'Open'
Recommend completely re-booting your computer

ZoneAlarm 'should' now recognise DistantWorlds.exe as an exception.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI