Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Cubano -> Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/27/2014 6:05:10 AM)

Hi,

I posted this on the Steam forums and I was advised to post it here also

I actually have played quite a bit of this game last year prior to it becoming available on Steam but never got around to making this suggestion before (not sure why). But since the game is now on steam and I'll be picking it up again to get the new version, I figured I'd throw it out there.

I'm familiar with the Expansion Planner, where there are various ways to list and sort resources as well the Galaxy Map (G key). However, I would love a way to more easily see the resources that are available in a system per orbital body (once it is explored of course).

When you select a system on the Galaxy Map popup window, as you click on each tiny orbital body in the right side mini-system view, you get the resources available in that body. When you click on the star, you get the list of planets but only one resource (the most abundant I think) listed under some planets/moons, but not all resource across all bodies are shown. There is also a wasted block of space directly under the current planet list. I would suggest that when the sun is selected in the Galaxy map, the right side (under the solar system mini-view) would list all the explored bodies (planets, moons and asteriods) in the system vertically with their resources horizontally next to them. It would make it much easier to plan mining station locations and to prioritize colonization as the explorers do their thing and bring in intel on the systems.

[image]local://upfiles/12786/B032A7FA882746B9BD430D3E756E920A.jpg[/image]

pycco -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/27/2014 6:28:15 AM)

this is a great idea it would stream line the whole process of finding specif resources on planets instead of having to find the planet your self in the system.

Darkspire -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/27/2014 6:32:17 AM)

expansion planner

add filter 'your empire unmined resource locations'
add tick-box for planets along side the 'show asteroids' one

The game is quite heavily centred around the resources but unfortunately mid to late game the expansion planner really becomes unusable for those who like to do things manually, with an added filter and a tick-box to reduce the amount of data showing it would become usable and much more accessible. The tick-box for planets on would be the default as is the tick-box for show asteroids being off at present and the filter would only show the unmined resources in your own systems (all the ones in green). For example, You could then select the 'your empire unmined resource locations' and take the tick-box off for 'show planets', put the tick-box on for 'show asteroids' and the reduced data load would then allow a player to work through the asteroid resources in there systems without all the slowdown that you get at present.

[image]http://i1125.photobucket.com/albums/l588/Necrospire/Secret%20Squiggle/expplanner_zps1f201561.jpg[/image]

Cubano -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/27/2014 6:42:13 AM)

I thought about using the expansion planner also but as you said, it gets difficult to use after the early game. The filter you suggested would be useful for systems within your empire, but would be of no help to find resources in systems that are outside of your empire, which is what you want to see when deciding future colony and out-of-empire mining station locations.

The resource planner seems like the obvious place but nothing comes to mind that will help much. What I typically do is sort by distance, which groups the resources a bit better when trying to figure out where to send construction ships but it is only marginally useful.

That's why I suggested the Galaxy Map as there is plenty of room on the right side and it's easy to click on the system on the left side to see all its resources on the right. Also, keeping the current colony and mining station icons on the listed orbital bodies would let you see which ones are not being mined. Basically, turn the currently listed items 90 deg counter-clock wise, but also list all orbital bodies and their resources, not just the self or enemy controlled ones.

Darkspire -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/27/2014 6:56:11 AM)

quote:

I thought about using the expansion planner also but as you said, it gets difficult to use after the early game.

I am in agreement with the idea you have presented, I just paste the expansion planner idea every now and again in the hope that that Elliot might actually notice it and put it in, I have always mined asteroids and now with Universe the asteroids and planning for your own system mining resources it is even more important that things can can be done more efficiently.

Darkspire

Cubano -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/27/2014 7:12:27 AM)

Cool. Hopefully, with the now MUCH bigger player base from Steam, the game can get more quality-of-life tweaks. Actually, I recently read a reply on Steam that they plan on having frequent updates. That surprised me actually as their update schedule was never what I would call quick. But it's good new all around no matter what. More updates for the game and a heck of a lot more sales for Elliot. Why it took so long to go on Steam I will never understand.

Alex

elanaagain -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/27/2014 7:01:16 PM)

One very frustrating thing about the resource planner is that moons are NOT listed with their parent planet. This means you can't select by name, hoping to see what’s in a specific system and make plans. All you see are the planets, (good so far) with random moons interspersed (not so good). If moons were named with the parent planet’s name first, then the display would show all you know about a system.
For example: In the system “Aprox” there are 5 planets and two moons. Naming the moons in this manner (with the planet name as a prefix) would enable the resource display to put the planets and their associated moons together when displaying info alphabetically. This would be a great help to human users making plans.

‘Aprox 1’ Barren rock <resources>
‘Aprox 2’ Barren rock < unknown >
‘Aprox 3’ Continental <resources>
‘Aprox 3-the Moon’ barren rock <resources>
‘Aprox 4’ Desert <resources>
‘Aprox 4 -Phobos’ barren rock <resources>
‘Aprox 4–Demos’ barren rock <resources>
‘Aprox 5’ Gas Giant <resources>
‘Aprox 6’ Frozen gas giant <resources>
‘Aprox 6 Europa’ Ice <resources>
‘Aprox 7’ Frozen gas giant <unknown>
‘Aprox 7’ Frozen gas giant < unknown >
‘Aprox 8’ Barren rock < unknown >

Any chance the designers could amend the code so moons don’t get unique names that break the alphabetical listing function of the resource planner display? I have asked for this several times over the past few years.

Cubano -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/28/2014 6:49:31 PM)

Renaming and listing the moons and asteroids alphabetically with the planets in the expansion planner would definitely help a lot.

nedcorleone1 -> RE: Suggestion to view resources in systems more easily (5/28/2014 9:59:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Cubano
*snip*

I second this. Also, the icons should be useful links (e.g. Clicking a planet icon takes you to that location).

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI