Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Marutia Ortia -> Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 10:43:39 AM)

Hi guys,

According to the website toptens.com, the top 10 Best Assault Rifles are:

1.AK-47
2.FN SCAR
3.HK416
4.M16 Rifle
5.Heckler & Koch G36
6.ACR
7.M4A1 SOPMOD
8.Steyr AUG
9.M4A1
10.FN FAL

What is your chart? Have you used any of above listed in gaming?

zakblood -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 11:11:52 AM)

1. M4 Carbine
2. TAVOR
3. FN SCAR
4. Steyr Aug
5. BushMaster ACR
6. FAMAS
7. Heckler And Koch G36
8. FN FNC
9. AK47
10. M16

but no real order either tbh, as if an idiot is shooting it, anyone is as good as the next, for a pro, it goes down to what you can get and where you are.

75 million built worldwide, the AK-47 (a.k.a., "Kalashnikov") is a firearms legend, but the best? well that depends, if the most is the best then it's the winner, but overall?

just found this so copied it to share,

quote"The AK-47 is the most reliable assault rifle ever made. In fact it can be speculated that 200 years from now someone will still be carrying this assault rifle." end quote

Werewolf13 -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 12:18:22 PM)

I own an AK and an M4. As a battle rifle (assault is a made up term by the left wing media and meaningless) the AK-47 is hands down the best. Low maintenance, minute of heart accuracy at 200 yards (in the right hands good out to 300) and you can put it in the hands of an illiterate farmer who has never fired a rifle in his life and within 5 minutes he can kill you with it.

The M-16 line including the M4 are fine rifles - in the right hands accurate out to 400 to 600 yards (depending on who is shooting it). It requires a lot of TLC to keep going reliably (and that does indeed include the current models). The 5.56X45 NATO round lacks the power in most combat environments to be truly effective - though in CQB situations it can do the job and do it well. It is expensive to manufacture and compared to the AK which can and has been made in a middle ages level blacksmith shop is more difficult to make. Drop it in a puddle or fall down on it and let it bang up against a rock and its done. Do the same thing to an AK and it won't even hiccup. I saw a guy shoot an AK with a bent barrel once and it worked fine. Still could spray lead. Try shooting an M-16/4 rifle with a bent barrel - I don't recommend it.

Battle rifles are all about firepower and reliability. The AK has both in spades.

Aside: IMO the FAL ought to be #2 or #3 but I don't have the experience or anything other than anecdotal knowledge to back that opinion up.

Orm -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 12:33:57 PM)

quote:

As a battle rifle (assault is a made up term by the left wing media and meaningless) the AK-47 is hands down the best.

WOW! Two posts before this topic became political. [X(][:(]

Edit: The AK-47 is a assault rifle and not a battle rifle.

nate25 -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 1:30:04 PM)

You're leaving out two top contenders: The M14 and the G3/CETME family.

Don't use the term "assault rifle". Don't be a victim of media ignorance.

The Avtomat Kalashikova is hands down the best modern military rifle ever built. I have several in both cals. And they are outstanding for what they are: a no-frills, get the job done, rugged rifle.

75 mil + and counting can't be wrong.

Chickenboy -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 1:49:23 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood
"The AK-47 is the most reliable assault rifle ever made. In fact it can be speculated that 200 years from now someone will still be carrying this assault rifle." end quote

Well that poor sod is going to look awfully funny carrying a firearm in the days of orbital mind-control lasers and 9GW portable plasma cannons. [:'(]

Werewolf13 -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 4:20:16 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

quote:

"The AK-47 is the most reliable assault rifle ever made. In fact it can be speculated that 200 years from now someone will still be carrying this assault rifle." end quote

Well that poor sod is going to look awfully funny carrying a firearm in the days of orbital mind-control lasers and 9GW portable plasma cannons. [:'(]

The AK guy will - look funny that is - right up to the time that the battery dies or the quantum flux induction coil on the laser guy's blaster fails in the middle of the shoot out at which point the guy with the AK pokes his head up from behind his rock and puts a 124 gr 7.62 caliber bullet into the blaster guy. [:D]

zakblood -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 4:30:04 PM)

remember world war 3 will be fought with sticks and stones, not laser :)

so the odd AK-47 may come in handy then, if any bullets are around by then

Hertston -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 4:32:34 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Werewolf1326

"As a battle rifle (assault is a made up term by the left wing media and meaningless)..."

To be precise it was made up by that well known lefty Adolf Hitler (Sturmgewehr ='storm rifle') [8|] By the 60's standard battle rifles had become assault rifles, but the term is by no means 'meaningless'.

Mercifully it's not an issue in the UK, but WITHOUT stirring up a debate on gun control, I genuinely can't see why the US gun lobby should have a problem with the term, certainly if 'battle' is an acceptable alternative?

Toby42 -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 5:20:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

"As a battle rifle (assault is a made up term by the left wing media and meaningless)..."

To be precise it was made up by that well known lefty Adolf Hitler (Sturmgewehr ='storm rifle') [8|] By the 60's standard battle rifles had become assault rifles, but the term is by no means 'meaningless'.

Mercifully it's not an issue in the UK, but WITHOUT stirring up a debate on gun control, I genuinely can't see why the US gun lobby should have a problem with the term, certainly if 'battle' is an acceptable alternative?

Mmm.. I'll have to stay out of this discussion. I'll just get myself into trouble!

warspite1 -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 5:32:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Treale

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hertston

quote:

Mmm.. I'll have to stay out of this discussion. I'll just get myself into trouble!
warspite1

Mmm.. I'll have to stay out of this discussion. Not because I'll get myself into trouble, but because I have no idea what the hell is what. I've heard of an AK-47 and M16 though so that's something I suppose.....

Kuokkanen -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 5:37:01 PM)

quote:

75 million built worldwide, the AK-47 (a.k.a., "Kalashnikov") is a firearms legend

I just checked Wikipedia article, and that 75M was made in just 10 years! Bloody Hell! For comparison, # of AKM made is only bit over 10M, and it has been made ever since 1959 to this day. Or someone has frakked up the numbers...

SuluSea -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 8:53:22 PM)

I don't mind the term assault rifle but that phrase should be used for someone willing to do someone harm.

As most all law abiding gun owners my weapons are strictly defense rifles.

Aurelian -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 9:47:26 PM)

quote:

I own an AK and an M4. As a battle rifle (assault is a made up term by the left wing media and meaningless)

Ummmm, no. The Stg 44 or Sturmgewehr literally means "storm rifle" as in "to storm (i.e. "assault") an enemy position". After the adoption of the StG 44, the English translation "assault rifle" became the accepted designation for this type of infantry small arm. (Wikipedia) Translation by babel fish.

No left or right media involved

Terminus -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 10:19:57 PM)

Well, maybe "assault rifle" was "made up" by the Germans during WWII? You know, in how "Sturmgewehr" translates EXACTLY as "assault rifle"?

And to the OP, don't put up this kind of thread. It only ends one way.

Werewolf13 -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/30/2014 10:37:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

I own an AK and an M4. As a battle rifle (assault is a made up term by the left wing media and meaningless)

Ummmm, no. The Stg 44 or Sturmgewehr literally means "storm rifle" as in "to storm (i.e. "assault") an enemy position". After the adoption of the StG 44, the English translation "assault rifle" became the accepted designation for this type of infantry small arm. (Wikipedia) Translation by babel fish.

Except the STg44 wasn't a rifle. It was chambered for the 7.92X33 cartridge which was a pistol round. In addition it supported both fully automatic and semi-automatic modes.

As usual someone not familiar with firearms just figured because it looked like a rifle it was. It was more correctly categorized - and it was by the Germans - as a Machine Pistol.

But hey I'll let that go and we'll say its a storm (assault rifle).

Given that the issue with using the term assault rifle in the US is:

1) It is not a term used by the US military
2) Assault rifles by the definition accepted in most other parts of the world can be fired in both semi and fully automatic mode.

Great - by that definition the M16 line and AK's are assault rifles.

Here's the problem - AR's and semi-automatic civilian versions purchasable in the US of all the other weapons mentioned by the OP are not fully automatic. Only semi-automatic versions are available to non-military and non-police users. The "assault" versions are not. BUT the ignorant left wing media insists on calling an AR-15 which is less powerful than your typical hunting rifle an assault weapon and it is not. The AK-47 semi-auto civilian variants available are less powerful than a 30-30 lever action rifle but its tossed right in there with its military cousin.

For the uninformed (and there are a lot of anti-gun folks that believe anything the media says) that creates much confusion - as demonstrated here on this forum.

Chickenboy -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/31/2014 12:45:39 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aurelian

quote:

Except the STg44 wasn't a rifle. It was chambered for the 7.92X33 cartridge which was a pistol round. In addition it supported both fully automatic and semi-automatic modes.

As usual someone not familiar with firearms just figured because it looked like a rifle it was. It was more correctly categorized - and it was by the Germans - as a Machine Pistol.

But hey I'll let that go and we'll say its a storm (assault rifle).

Given that the issue with using the term assault rifle in the US is:

1) It is not a term used by the US military
2) Assault rifles by the definition accepted in most other parts of the world can be fired in both semi and fully automatic mode.

Great - by that definition the M16 line and AK's are assault rifles.

Here's the problem - AR's and semi-automatic civilian versions purchasable in the US of all the other weapons mentioned by the OP are not fully automatic. Only semi-automatic versions are available to non-military and non-police users. The "assault" versions are not. BUT the ignorant left wing media insists on calling an AR-15 which is less powerful than your typical hunting rifle an assault weapon and it is not. The AK-47 semi-auto civilian variants available are less powerful than a 30-30 lever action rifle but its tossed right in there with its military cousin.

For the uninformed (and there are a lot of anti-gun folks that believe anything the media says) that creates much confusion - as demonstrated here on this forum.

That's a good summary of the issue and the inherent slants that I typically see, Werewolf1326.

I would also throw in the expression "high powered rifle" to describe any sort of hunting rifle in media parlance. Like they check the FPS muzzle velocity or measure the force imparted by impact of the projectile. Also a "Glock" can be any form of blocky semi-automatic handgun in their eyes. Made by Taurus? OK. It's a Glock. [8|]

NikiAlex -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/31/2014 6:49:46 AM)

There is my list based on:
Reliability – Last thing you want is weapon jam during firefight
Price – how many you can buy or mass produce
These are obvious: Accuracy, Ease of maintenance, magazine Size, and weight

1.AK-47/AKM – Reliable, Cheap, Ease of maintenance. Less accurate compared to other Rifles, limited accessory options
2.HK 416 – Accurate, reliable, modular design for different missions. Expensive
3.TAR-21/CTAR/MTAR – Same as the above
4.SCAR-L
5.FN2000
6.M4A1
7.G36/G36K/C
8.AK-74M
9.Galil AR/SAR
10.M16A4
Regarding calibers of choice: small calibers usually make more tissue damage and weapons are easier to control on bursts and auto, 7.62 is preferable for long distance engagements and for higher overall penetration

Aurelian -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/31/2014 6:18:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

Well, maybe "assault rifle" was "made up" by the Germans during WWII? You know, in how "Sturmgewehr" translates EXACTLY as "assault rifle"?

It's the German's fault.

Orm -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/31/2014 8:10:00 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Terminus

I find it sad that you think that it can't be discussed the qualities of different military weapons on this forum. So very sad. And it saddens me even more that you do tell the original poster this. [:(]

----

Which weapon in the original list can best handle different weather and environments? I can't see why such things can't be discussed here.

I recently talked with a friend on this subject and he told me that he once, on a exercise, was the best marksman in the group with one of those weapons. It was -30 degrees Celsius and windy. Lots of snow in the terrain. As a "reward" he had to help 30 other soldiers by adjusting their sights so that their shooting improved. He said that had he known what was coming he would not had hit the targets even once. It was a very painful experience. But, he said, there was no trouble doing it and firing in the bad weather.

Twotribes -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (5/31/2014 11:09:33 PM)

AK-47 was not made for accuracy, the AR-15 was. Especially the Chinese versions of the AK-47, had one once the sights were so bad that they could not be adjusted to actually hit the target at 25 yards.

SuluSea -> RE: Top 10 Best Assault Rifles (6/1/2014 1:07:56 PM)

Is surprised he doesn't see any VZ58's on the top ten lists. Looks like an AK 47 but in reality is nothing like it.

[image]http://762precision.files.wordpress.com/2010/03/vz58_folding_military-class.jpg[/image]

Czechpoint is a superb manufacturer of firearms. IMHO

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI