No AC Replacements (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> The War Room

MuguNiner -> No AC Replacements (6/1/2014 5:38:03 PM)

I have had this air group in Townsville for quite some time without receiving any replacement AC. Same for the other air groups there. What have I not done to provide?

[image]local://upfiles/13543/CCD7BFBCDC7245D19B7682E336C47EE1.jpg[/image]

JocMeister -> RE: No AC Replacements (6/1/2014 5:41:44 PM)

Upgrade to a newer model. [:)]

seille -> RE: No AC Replacements (6/1/2014 5:57:26 PM)

The pool is empty, so where should the planes come from ?

MuguNiner -> RE: No AC Replacements (6/1/2014 5:59:35 PM)

Oh. Knew it had to be something simple.
Thanks

kbfchicago -> RE: No AC Replacements (6/1/2014 9:54:00 PM)

Yep, you get very few LB-30s. I use them as a USAAF stop gap until the Navy B-24s recon planes (PB4Ys) arrive in Dec 42.

My recollection is enough for about two sqdns. Then use sparingly (avoid extreme range recons when you can, keep a high maint. level (30%), don't be tempted to use on bombing runs, etc., to keep them flying into '43 and the arrival of the PB4Ys.

wdolson -> RE: No AC Replacements (6/1/2014 10:08:36 PM)

The LB-30 was the export version of the B-24A that were taken from a British order and pressed into service with the USAAF not the USN. Though you are right the LB-30 production numbers are very small and only for a short time in early 1942. Once production ends, you get no more of them.

The first PB4Y-1s were B-24Ds transferred to the USN in part of a deal with the USAAF that canceled a Boeing flying boat that was being built in Renton, WA. Boeing only built something like 2 or 3 before the program was canceled. The factory built for the flying boat was instead used to build B-29s.

Boeing still uses the same factory to build 737s and 757s, though the current factory buildings are port war (built for the C-135/707 I believe). The old factory buildings are now used for other things. I worked in one of them when I was working for Boeing at Renton.

The Navy was a bit reluctant with their PB4Ys to start, but soon discovered they made excellent patrol bombers, though they required a well developed runway where the PBY didn't. Fortunately innovations in airfield construction made this pretty easy.

Bill

kbfchicago -> RE: No AC Replacements (6/1/2014 10:15:48 PM)

Thanks Bill! Always nice to learn a new historical tid-bit! Did not mean to imply the LBs were USN...even though they are USAAF units I chose to use them in the recon/nav search role to supplement the early PBYs. Not enough to make a big splash as LBs and their arrival is at a critical time when a crafty AFB is looking for every piece of intel they can get on KB and other IJ TFs.... Kevin

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI