What and Where can Constructors build? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

warzer -> What and Where can Constructors build? (6/4/2014 3:17:42 AM)

So I am confused about base types they can build and it seems to vary depending if on planet or space. So after searching and not finding anything I figured I would ask.

So I read that whatever it can construct it must fit in its cargo hold. True?

when trying to see if certain bases can fit how do I determine size?
I tried counting resources but that didn't change anything as my largest base is 1962 total resources and cargo is 6400 on my current constructor. It does not seem to be Size in the design menu as all are well under my cargo hold size. Does it have to be smaller than my construction ship?

Other more generic question, what is a good cargo bay size on a constructor?
I used to make it huge but found it never used it.

tjhkkr -> RE: What and Where can Constructors build? (6/4/2014 3:30:14 AM)

Hello,
Look at your ship design screens. On the top, you will see the maximum size base a construction vessel can create away from a planet...
Next to it is the larges sized hull you can build at a starbase.
At level 2, it is about size 900 for a construction vessel, and about 300 for a ship built at a starbase.

Raap -> RE: What and Where can Constructors build? (6/4/2014 3:51:58 AM)

The cargo hold on the constructor effectively decides whether it'll need resupply during construction or not. WIth a huge hold it can take all the resources needed with it, with a smaller hold it might have to put construction on hold while your private sectors brings in the needed resources.

warzer -> RE: What and Where can Constructors build? (6/4/2014 4:05:36 AM)

so at current my max base size away from colony is 1950 according to the design screen. How much cargo space would be needed for a base that size? All but my large space port are well below that size. Yet they do not show up on the constructions right click build menu.

Bingeling -> RE: What and Where can Constructors build? (6/4/2014 7:21:02 AM)

I don't think an empire constructor can build a spaceport. Apart from that, it should work given size limits.

As for cargo space, without using any fancy info anywhere. Check your freighters. Find one that appears full of stuff (that could be more or less hard...) Notice how much resources it carries. Notice how many cargo bays it has (from the design). Note the number of cargo bays and the amount of resources it carries.

Then check the base design. Press the construction summary button approximately below the central table. Try to eye measure the total amount of resources. With the resources/cargo bay ratio observed in the full freighters, figure out if your construction ship has enough.

Just in case gases take less space than other stuff, maybe try to find a full freighter of non-gases. That could be even more hard than a full one in general...

Returning mining ships could be a good candidate for this test, btw, they should return when full.

fenrislokison -> RE: What and Where can Constructors build? (6/4/2014 8:39:12 AM)

since the "where" of the title hasn't been answered:

constructors can build anywhere, except in foreign territory (if i remember right).
That includes planets, moons, stars, black holes, supernovas, gas clouds or just deep space.

Be careful about supernovas since they emits rays that grinds the shields of a station, plus, it kind of hard to figure where exactly to put a station (research for example) and benefit from the science bonus (if any).

Be even more careful about black holes, since you could end up with a eaten station if built too close or no bonus if built too far.

Supernovas and black holes also don't provide energy for solar panels (as far as i know), so as a rule of thumb, i don't build anything around those... too must complication for too few benefit generally ^^

As far as i know, there is no limit to the number of stations you can put on a space object (there should obviously be one relative to the size of the object), but i usually go with only one station, except for the time when a planet gives science or resort bonus in addition to the resources, in which case i put 1 mining station and one resort or science station.

You cannot put more than one research station on a planet. Every time i tried, the constructor took the order, but failed to built a station next to an existing one.

tjhkkr -> RE: What and Where can Constructors build? (6/4/2014 2:06:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warzer
so at current my max base size away from colony is 1950 according to the design screen. How much cargo space would be needed for a base that size? All but my large space port are well below that size. Yet they do not show up on the constructions right click build menu.

That is a good sized base. You should be able to build some nice defensive bases and or monitor stations.

Someone farther below says your cannot build a starbase, and that maybe true.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI