Newbie Help (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the East Series

baldbrother -> Newbie Help (6/6/2014 12:53:53 PM)

How do you make a unit ready when it's unready? How do you regenerate a depleted unit? And,please, how do I turn rifle brigades into divisions. I'm playing the full campaign and have just reached 1942 The hot key and the button don't appear to work. I find the manual hard not very helpful or at least to me confusing. Thanks in anticipation.

loki100 -> RE: Newbie Help (6/6/2014 1:50:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: baldbrother

How do you make a unit ready when it's unready? How do you regenerate a depleted unit? And,please, how do I turn rifle brigades into divisions. I'm playing the full campaign and have just reached 1942 The hot key and the button don't appear to work. I find the manual hard not very helpful or at least to me confusing. Thanks in anticipation.

basically first two are the same problem. Best is to use 'refit' and well to the rear and on a railroad. It can still be slow depending on available replacements of the right type, but that will get a depleted rifle division 'ready' in a couple of turns. You may still want to leave it in the rear (more than 10 hexes from the front) for a few more turns to build up morale.

Now, the situational bit is that as the Soviets in PBEM (AI is more forgiving), you may well be short of both armaments and reinforcements in 1941-2. So is the best use of your scarce resource getting it to flow to combat ready formations or in repairing the already disrupted? No clean answer, but basically keep in mind dealing with unready/depleted units is not always your best use of resource.

Rifle brigades can be converted to divisions from May 42. Have a look at this invaluable thread for what becomes available and when.

But again, there is a trade off. Till you've held the German 1942 offensive you need a lot of units. Some in the rear digging/maintaining defensive lines, some costing them MPs, some for reserve reactions (all this of course in addition to units actually fighting).

If you convert all your brigades in May, you won't have enough units.

Another quirk is that brigades have a morale of 50 and Soviet rifle divisions in 1942 around 42-45. So once you convert, their NM may dip a little over time.

So, while in the end you will convert them all, and indeed your divisions to corps, in 1942 you may want to balance the speed of this against other demands and the wider strategic position. If its late summer and you have held the German attack then you can start scrapping your secondary/tertiary defense lines and thus will need less units.

baldbrother -> RE: Newbie Help (6/7/2014 6:30:04 AM)

Loki. A great answer to my question. Many thanks. Appreciate the time and thought you put into it.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI