What I want in a new wargame (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

trebcourie -> What I want in a new wargame (6/6/2014 9:14:50 PM)

Just throwing out some thoughts (and hoping to influence some game designers):

Here’s what I’m looking for in some new games…

-A good 1980s-era WWIII Cold War operational-level game in Germany (division or brigade level).

-A worldwide resource-based game, think Civilization but focused on the military (resource-gathering, not building). I don’t like RTSs, but I would love something that’s more of a wargame (like the old CommandHQ, but modernized drastically) – and not a 4X.

-A good, but playable, War in the Pacific game. I don’t have time in my life for micro-managing Grigsby-type games.

-I hope Strategic Command 3 is a success. I loved the first one.

-And I want to see all of these (plus others) using a Command Ops-type system. I see real value in the modern wargaming like CO where I issue orders and control the big picture, but the computer works out the details. That way I can focus on the big picture, the way a real commander does, and only delve deep into the micromanagement and details when I want to.

I would love CO on an operational level to fight the entire Eastern Front in WWII, Germany in WWIII Cold War, or the Pacific theater in WWII.

BAL -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/6/2014 11:03:29 PM)

quote:

-A good 1980s-era WWIII Cold War operational-level game in Germany (division or brigade level).

Something like the old SPI game The Next War for the PC.

DSWargamer -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/6/2014 11:08:02 PM)

I just want to see IGOUGO and RTS dropped in favour of WEGO in everything.

I'm bored of the weird notion RTS is somehow magically 'realistic' and turn based is prone to gamey in it's own way.

Being made to make ALL your command choices and then click end turn and be forced to deal with your decisions is all I want in a game. Any setting any time period.

And any game intentionally unable to be played hotseat, is really of no real use to me.

Kuokkanen -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/7/2014 3:10:51 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

We already have such thread

budd -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/7/2014 3:55:04 AM)

I don't know if this is exactly on topic but what i'd want is not exactly new.......

Combined Arms: WW2 finished and released, this wego title had potential
Panzer Command Ostfront system moved forward
New Steel Panthers in WEGO

wworld7 -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/7/2014 5:12:46 AM)

quote:

IGOUGOI like IGOUGO games.

trebcourie -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/7/2014 3:48:13 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Matti Kuokkanen

quote:

ORIGINAL: BROJD

We already have such thread

Duly added. Maybe for the second time. :)

Jafele -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/7/2014 6:49:58 PM)

Fun over extreme realism and micromanagement. Never forget games main purpose is fun, they are not history books. [:-]

This "little" detail has ruined loads of wargames.

Greyshaft -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/8/2014 10:57:15 AM)

How about a space 4X in reverse where your ancient Empire slowly loses control of systems through revolt and technology fades away because you can't afford the upkeep... think Asimov's Foundation series. When you are down to one world then the game ends ... how long can you survive?

Rising-Sun -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/8/2014 2:06:14 PM)

Hearts of Iron 4 is coming out, probably be first quarter next year though. Star Ruler 2 is coming out sometime end this year. Not sure if anything good coming soon atm.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/8/2014 7:31:54 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: DSWargamer

I'm bored of the weird notion RTS is somehow magically 'realistic' and turn based is prone to gamey in it's own way.

Being made to make ALL your command choices and then click end turn and be forced to deal with your decisions is all I want in a game. Any setting any time period.

And any game intentionally unable to be played hotseat, is really of no real use to me.

You might like Spartan by Slitherine if you like that kind of command. You setup your units, give them battle commands for the day and then watch them battle it out with only a very limited command system after that like rally, retreat or charge horn.

InuharikoMu -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/8/2014 9:14:40 PM)

Two Threads? Really?

Here my 50 Cents *again* :

That Dev's in the Slitherine / Matrix Universe agree on a Standard:

No more fixed 1024*768 Resolution Games - EVER
Resolution up to 1920*1080 and TFT Monitor Support out of the Box.

No more Games without Sound Effects - EVER

Better Documentation! No more XBox / PS3 Joke Manuals - EVER
Printable Maps! Printable Key Command Chart!
Modding Support!
Support Successful Mods into a Premium DLC *see ART / Coder Department*

Build up a Cheap STEAMline *HAHAHA* For Games that not hold the 2014 Standard.
A Brand like STEAMTactician (Copyright by Richtschnur)and put Things like "Drums of War" into that.

@ the Big Kahunas @ Sli/Mat
Build up an ART Department that support your Freelance Dev's and your Inhouse Dev's
Maybe with Talented People from the Modding Scene *like Darthmod*
Build up an Coder Department to Support Freelance Dev's

Support the Games YOU STILL SELL!

Meaning *Example -> Across the Dnepr 2nd Edition Husky Fix* http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=2428891

Therefore:
Build up an Coder Department that works together with Dev's to fix the Older Games in your Portfolio.

Taking Premium Prices means in my Eyes Taking Premium Responsibility (Beat me up Scotty -> My Personal Opinion)

Best Regards from 30 Degree, sunny Germany

KG Erwin -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/9/2014 1:52:56 AM)

Anyone who says that wargames aren't like history books doesn't have a clue about what historical wargames are all about. The best wargames are teaching tools, not simply something to play around with over beer & pretzels.

The things I look for are realism, good documentation and a good AI. Those games DO exist, but it takes some effort from a designer to provide a high quality product with a high replayability value. The last really interesting game I bought was AGEOD's "Birth of America II". Yeah, some folks don't like the game system, but I do, and that's all that matters to me. Any game that prompts me to buy books about the wars that are represented is a good one, IMO.

InuharikoMu -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/9/2014 4:56:19 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KG Erwin

Anyone who says that wargames aren't like history books doesn't have a clue about what historical wargames are all about. The best wargames are teaching tools, not simply something to play around with over beer & pretzels.

The things I look for are realism, good documentation and a good AI. Those games DO exist, but it takes some effort from a designer to provide a high quality product with a high replayability value. The last really interesting game I bought was AGEOD's "Birth of America II". Yeah, some folks don't like the game system, but I do, and that's all that matters to me. Any game that prompts me to buy books about the wars that are represented is a good one, IMO.

Amen Brother +1

InuharikoMu -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/9/2014 4:58:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: RisingSun

Hearts of Iron 4 is coming out, probably be first quarter next year though. Star Ruler 2 is coming out sometime end this year. Not sure if anything good coming soon atm.

Supreme Ruler 1936?

Twotribes -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/9/2014 5:32:26 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richtschnur

quote:

Supreme Ruler 1936?

Isn't that just a knock off of Hearts of Iron?

Jafele -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/9/2014 7:38:42 AM)

Someone is simply distorting what I said. A game is not a history book; a movie is not a history book. Like it or not these are facts. I also love realism and history in wargames but they are not essential features to make something funny, at least in my opinion. By the way I´ve playing wargames for more than 20 years. Some people need to consider they´re not the only ones who knows something about wargames. [:-]

Perturabo -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/9/2014 2:49:15 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jafele

Fun over extreme realism and micromanagement. Never forget games main purpose is fun, they are not history books. [:-]

I don't think micromanagement is realistic.

trebcourie -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/10/2014 3:07:33 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

quote:

ORIGINAL: Jafele

I don't think micromanagement is realistic.

Good call.

Commanders usually deal with 3-5 maneuver units. They make the big decisions. Their staffs handle the details.

I would love more of this in a wargame, with the ability to delve into the details when necessary -- just as a real commander can.

That, to me, is one of the beauties of Command Ops.

If someone could take that basic concept and apply it at an operational or strategic level, say on the East Front or in the Pacific, they'd have at least one loyal customer in me.

James Ward -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/11/2014 6:29:17 PM)

quote:

I remember the old game Kampfgruppe had a great feature. It was WEGO/RTS hybrid but you could pause the game to issue new orders to your units at anytime. The kicker was every time you changed orders there was a delay built in before your units began acting upon it. The game really paid off for the one who could develop a good plan at the start and then quickly react to changes in a battle without just sending units all over the place to try and react to every little thing that happened. You couldn't just move you units here and there every turn without them basically just sitting in place because their orders changed every turn.
It really made for some fun game though it was tactical in nature. I think this type of feature would work well on a lot of type of game.

U2 -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/11/2014 6:32:39 PM)

All I want is for Gary Grigsby to make good games again. He has not made one since 2004.

Rising-Sun -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/11/2014 8:10:40 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Richtschnur

quote:

Supreme Ruler 1936?

Nah that is garbage game, not really historical or realism. They lefted out Truk, Kwajalien, etcs.

DanSez -> RE: What I want in a new wargame (6/11/2014 8:28:17 PM)

quote:

TriplePlusGoodSpeak

(in otherwords, I wholeheartedly agree)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI