RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

ParagonExile -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/19/2014 1:46:51 PM)

Great job! Clearly this will end up good no matter what you choose to do, but I hope you give serious consideration to the "local space" idea.

ParagonExile -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/19/2014 1:49:28 PM)

Also, it's worth noting that star density in real life doesn't taper with galactic arms; those are "tidal waves" of gas :3

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/19/2014 2:05:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ParagonExile

Also, it's worth noting that star density in real life doesn't taper with galactic arms; those are "tidal waves" of gas :3

Indeed, [yet] another compromise for gameplay reasons: I want it to have a generally recognisable structure. There are also practical issues in that unless you arrange the stars in narrow bands, you end up with a very spaced out structure, because 1400 stars don't go very far in a 15x15 grid.

Osito

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/20/2014 2:13:09 PM)

It would appear that the star name generator has run out of star names. This is presumably because I have created and deleted so many systems while creating the customised systems.

When I now add stars using the generator, every name is now an obscure reference number or, occasionally, a name with 'prime', 'junction', 'major' or 'minor' after it. This means that the only way I can complete this map is by individually naming the stars and each planet for about 1000 systems!

ParagonExile -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/20/2014 2:52:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

It would appear that the star name generator has run out of star names. This is presumably because I have created and deleted so many systems while creating the customised systems.

When I now add stars using the generator, every name is now an obscure reference number or, occasionally, a name with 'prime', 'junction', 'major' or 'minor' after it. This means that the only way I can complete this map is by individually naming the stars and each planet for about 1000 systems!

[ ]Not rekt

[x]Rekt

[x]Tyrannosaurus Rekt

Seriously though, that sounds lame. Need a hand? I can pull a few thousand names out of my various orifices and give them to you, saving your creative juices for more important things.

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/20/2014 3:02:06 PM)

Thanks for the offer of help. I have about 700 names from the star names file that comes with DW, and I will probably use many of those. It's not so much the names themselves, it's the changing the names of every star and (particularly) planet that you create. I really wish it would let you pick the star name before you create it, so the planets can take the name you have given to the star.

I tell you, if God had been given the DW planet editor to create the universe, there's no way He could have got the job done in 7 days!

Osito

ParagonExile -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/20/2014 3:36:11 PM)

quote:

Thanks for the offer of help. I have about 700 names from the star names file that comes with DW, and I will probably use many of those. It's not so much the names themselves, it's the changing the names of every star and (particularly) planet that you create. I really wish it would let you pick the star name before you create it, so the planets can take the name you have given to the star.

I tell you, if God had been given the DW planet editor to create the universe, there's no way He could have got the job done in 7 days!

Osito

Here's a hint for planets; visualize them, and write the first thing that comes to mind.

The resulting gibberish is often pretty cool. I did this right now, and this is what I came up with;

Kraig

Ommaerset

Nehilous

Nycellus

Fumirole

It's pretty fun, and easy. :D

feygan -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/20/2014 3:49:26 PM)

quote:

Osito

If ever there was an example of why the built in editor is a problem I think your issue illustrates it perfectly. I can only hope either we get an official modding tool or some bright spark devices a way to make "map" files with a gui tool that can be imported. It would be unfortunate if this project (and others that follow) are dead in the water through such a small oversight.

Solarius Scorch -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/20/2014 4:09:45 PM)

If you need a star name generator, use this:
http://www.wordlab.com/gen/morpheme-machine.php

Its results are actually very close to your average 4X game.

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/20/2014 4:29:43 PM)

I asked a question on the main board about whether my map can be loaded into a different theme. I am finding that if I try to load my galaxy map into another theme, the game switches back to the default theme. I have also tried placing the map in the maps folder of a theme (specifically, the 'Extended' mod), but the game still switches back to the default theme when I try to play it.

Can anyone shed any light on this for me?

Osito

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/21/2014 10:17:49 AM)

This project is now on hold until further notice. I hope this is just a temporary hold up, but that depends on Matrix.

As you will see from this post http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3641149, it appears that my map is only usable with the default theme. If you try to load it as a map into another theme, the game switches back to the default theme. If you place the map in the maps folder of another theme, the game switches back to the default theme (and crashes) if you try to run the map.

To mind mind, these restrictions render the ability to create and load custom maps of very little value. Who is going to want to spend a lot of time on a single map, if it can only be used in a single theme (I have already spent more than 150 hours on this project)? I wanted to play my map with the 'DW extended' mod, but I can't, because I created the map with the default theme.

I'm sorry if this causes disappointment to anyone. I'm afraid I simply hadn't realised that this restriction would apply to maps. It's not in the documentation (not as far as I'm aware), and it hadn't occurred to me that there would be a problem.

In the post I linked above, Ehsumrell1 indicated that Elliot may provide the game with the functionality to load any map into a theme (i.e. regardless of the theme it was created in). If he does this, then I will start work on this project again, assuming my existing map is compatible with the changes.

Thanks,

Osito

feygan -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/21/2014 10:35:41 AM)

Had a feeling this was going to be the case, can only hope a patch is just around the corner to rectify this oversight.

Upuauta -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/21/2014 2:23:09 PM)

Wow, what a bummer. Letīs hope this is fixed soon. I looked forward playing your awesome map.

Verjigorm -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/21/2014 8:22:04 PM)

I'd definitely prefer option 2... wasn't the first approach for a somewhat realistic galaxy and now that's dropped to add nearby stars? mh...

Well, either way... what a bunch of work. Nicely done :)

thefinn12345 -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/22/2014 4:04:18 AM)

Yeah I have to say part of the issue with the game is the HUGE amount of resources to be found constantly, like hydrogen and caslon - it means fighting over them is trivial - I'd like to see more strategy and less convenience where this is concerned perhaps ? :)

mensrea -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/22/2014 9:47:20 PM)

Osito, have you tried starting a new game, loading your map checking off all the regenerate boxes?

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/23/2014 8:42:27 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mensrea

Osito, have you tried starting a new game, loading your map checking off all the regenerate boxes?

You're right! It does seem to work if you regenerate everything. I'm not sure whether you have to check all the regenerate boxes, just some of them; I'll have to investigate. In any event, I think I can live with that restriction, so this project may well be back on. I'll do some more investigation later today and let people whether I can now continue with it.

Thanks for the input mensrea.

Osito

Edit: Ok, it appears that the map will work with different mods, provided you check the option for 'regenerate resources'. I don't know why checking this option matters, but it seems it does. Anyway, the bottom line is that I don't think this is too big a restriction, so I am going to restart work on the mod. I still have to add another 1000 star systems, and it takes at least one minute per system, so you do the maths! Then there's some play testing. I reckon it will require about 30-40 hours altogether.

mensrea -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/25/2014 8:14:19 PM)

If a mod has changed it resources then loading a game you saved with that mod from another mod will cause an error. Its trying to draw on resources that no longer exist. In a gross sense its a file not found error.

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/26/2014 9:48:21 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mensrea

If a mod has changed it resources then loading a game you saved with that mod from another mod will cause an error. Its trying to draw on resources that no longer exist. In a gross sense its a file not found error.

Note that even if a mod changes nothing at all, the theme still changes back to default when you try to load the map, unless you tick the 'regenerate resources' box.

ParagonExile -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/27/2014 4:17:47 AM)

Hope it turns out well! :D

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/27/2014 10:49:46 AM)

quote:

Hope it turns out well! :D

Thanks! Here are a couple of pics of the current stage of development, with the vanilla galaxy backdrop. There are about 900 systems in this map, so I have to add another 500-ish. I also let the game play against itself on this map for a few hours and it seems stable enough. The map is not balanced, i.e., some areas are much better starting points than others, but that's WAD.

Osito

[image]local://upfiles/44634/4CC59BD9FB24437895437A73D7937C81.jpg[/image]

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/27/2014 10:50:26 AM)

And another:

[image]local://upfiles/44634/FC818A7B0ED34CE18D3B757261E3126C.jpg[/image]

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/30/2014 9:39:49 AM)

Update:

Verson 1.0 of the galactic map is now complete and playable. There are about 1300 star systems (I kept a rough count of them, but there doesn't appear to be an in-game function to count them).

At the moment, the map can be played as a random map either in the default theme or in any other theme (it will work with DW:U Extended, for example). I included all the ancient homeworld systems of the vanilla races and also those of Haree's extended races. However, when playing a customised random game on the map, I've found it never happens that any of the empires start at their ancient homewolds (although they do sometimes start at someone else's ancient homeworld). For example, if you want to play a human empire starting at Sol, it just won't happen. I tried loading the game several dozen times, and I never got a game with the humans at Sol. I tried adjusting the Sol system to see if I could force it to happen, to no avail.

So the only way I can see to force races to start in the correct position is by means of scenarios. That's ok, because I see scenarios as the main use of the map. Unfortunatelty, there's another problem: if you create the empires in the correct position, and give them a prewarp start, the amount of starting caslon at their homeworld is insufficient to get to another star system, unless you manage the caslon resource very carefully. You have to have a caslon source in your home system, and you have to prioritise mining it. Most often, the AI fails to do this and is stranded.

I submitted a post about this in tech support here:

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3647365

If anyone thinks I'm missing something, please let me know.

I'd intended to release the map with a pre-warp scenario, but it presently looks like this will not be possble. You could still use the map to create non-pre-warp scenarios, but that doesn't interest me so much.

So what I intend to do is to wait a few days to see whether anyone has any ideas about how to solve this problem, or, failing that, to see whether Matrix says they will fix it. If it can't be solved or fixed, then I'll issue the map, as is, and others can do what they want with it.

Thanks,

Osito

Radishgast -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/30/2014 5:34:29 PM)

Beautiful work, sir! I look forward to trying this.

Haree78 -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (6/30/2014 6:25:50 PM)

Very interested to see the final product and where you will be placing the races :)

ParagonExile -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (7/1/2014 12:01:51 AM)

And here I was, hoping you'd go with the "local area" idea.

Bah, look at me complaining about your many hours of hard work. I'll give it a try and let you know how it goes!

PS, is it possible to edit the nebulae?

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (7/1/2014 10:07:16 AM)

As far as I know, it is not possible to edit the nebulas. In fact, I created the map around a particular set of nebulas, then I found that whenever you load the map into a new customised game (as opposed to loading the map as a scenario from the /maps folder), it resets the position of all the nebulas. So all my work setting the stars around the nebulas was for nothing. I have asked Matrix to look at this in several different posts, but I have never seen any official response from them. I expect they have taken it on board, but as far as I know I am almost the only person pressing for changes to the editing functions, so I expect I'm a long way down the list.

I would have liked to have done a local map with everything in the right direction and distance, but what set me against it was: (1) my OP promised the 'galaxy', and I thought I should aim to deliver what I had originally promised; (2) even a local space map makes heavy compromises.

Let me give you an example regarding point (2): if you do a 2D map with all stars projected onto the galactic plane, Tau Ceti (11.9 light years from Sol) and Beta Comae Berenices (30 light years from Sol) both come out closer than Alpha Centauri (4.4 light years from Sol). If instead, you extend the distance of these stars from Sol so that they are the correct distance relative to Alpha Centauri, then you end up making stars adjacent to each other on the 2D map, even though, in reality, the stars might be hundreds of light years apart - Alpha Fornacis and Delta Leonis would appear almost adjacent on the 2D map, but they are around 100 light years apart in reality, because one is above the galactic plane and the other below.

Thus, even a local map cannot give you a playing space which is in any sense an accurate map of the nearby stars. In the end, whatever approach I took was going to involve compromises, and I preferred the idea of playing on a 'galactic' scale rather than a local one, especially as the edge of the galaxy is (for me at least) a more convincing explanation for having a border to the game.

Another point is that having a whole galaxy provides a more diverse galaxy. In a local space of, say, 1000 light year radius from Sol, there are no known black holes. So, if I wanted any black holes I would need to invent them. No neutron stars either, so I would have to have invented them too. Also, the stars would have been spread rather homogeneously around the playing area in local space. On the other hand, a whole galaxy allows you to have the stars concentrated in spirals [yes, I know that's not realistic, but it 'looks' more realistic :)], and to have a heavy concentration of stars (including black holes) in the centre. I even had space to throw in a couple of 'globular clusters' some distance from the main part of the galaxy.

I'd still like to do a local space map some time, but I'd rather wait to see whether Matrix will improve the editor before doing it. I really have felt that I was fighting the editing tools at every stage of the process, and then when I had finally completed it to find that I couldn't even set up a pre-warp scenario was a bit of a blow.

Osito

PS It was also a bit of a blow that the server timed me out just as I was making this post for the first time :-(

Imperius -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (7/1/2014 10:37:18 AM)

Awesome work :)

May have to re-do the Babylon 5 scenario I made using this map!

ParagonExile -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (7/1/2014 6:27:01 PM)

quote:

As far as I know, it is not possible to edit the nebulas. In fact, I created the map around a particular set of nebulas, then I found that whenever you load the map into a new customised game (as opposed to loading the map as a scenario from the /maps folder), it resets the position of all the nebulas. So all my work setting the stars around the nebulas was for nothing. I have asked Matrix to look at this in several different posts, but I have never seen any official response from them. I expect they have taken it on board, but as far as I know I am almost the only person pressing for changes to the editing functions, so I expect I'm a long way down the list.

I would have liked to have done a local map with everything in the right direction and distance, but what set me against it was: (1) my OP promised the 'galaxy', and I thought I should aim to deliver what I had originally promised; (2) even a local space map makes heavy compromises.

Let me give you an example regarding point (2): if you do a 2D map with all stars projected onto the galactic plane, Tau Ceti (11.9 light years from Sol) and Beta Comae Berenices (30 light years from Sol) both come out closer than Alpha Centauri (4.4 light years from Sol). If instead, you extend the distance of these stars from Sol so that they are the correct distance relative to Alpha Centauri, then you end up making stars adjacent to each other on the 2D map, even though, in reality, the stars might be hundreds of light years apart - Alpha Fornacis and Delta Leonis would appear almost adjacent on the 2D map, but they are around 100 light years apart in reality, because one is above the galactic plane and the other below.

Thus, even a local map cannot give you a playing space which is in any sense an accurate map of the nearby stars. In the end, whatever approach I took was going to involve compromises, and I preferred the idea of playing on a 'galactic' scale rather than a local one, especially as the edge of the galaxy is (for me at least) a more convincing explanation for having a border to the game.

Another point is that having a whole galaxy provides a more diverse galaxy. In a local space of, say, 1000 light year radius from Sol, there are no known black holes. So, if I wanted any black holes I would need to invent them. No neutron stars either, so I would have to have invented them too. Also, the stars would have been spread rather homogeneously around the playing area in local space. On the other hand, a whole galaxy allows you to have the stars concentrated in spirals [yes, I know that's not realistic, but it 'looks' more realistic :)], and to have a heavy concentration of stars (including black holes) in the centre. I even had space to throw in a couple of 'globular clusters' some distance from the main part of the galaxy.

I'd still like to do a local space map some time, but I'd rather wait to see whether Matrix will improve the editor before doing it. I really have felt that I was fighting the editing tools at every stage of the process, and then when I had finally completed it to find that I couldn't even set up a pre-warp scenario was a bit of a blow.

Osito

PS It was also a bit of a blow that the server timed me out just as I was making this post for the first time :-(

You'd save yourself a lot of trouble by just taking into consideration absolute distance from Sol and general heading. Rule #1 of strategy gaming; don't make your job harder than it has to be :)

We're not astronomers or stellar cartographers, we're dumb; we'll see the local stars and our mouths will go agape.

Osito -> RE: GSP: Galactic Starmap Project (7/1/2014 11:46:09 PM)

quote:

quote:

Osito

You'd save yourself a lot of trouble by just taking into consideration absolute distance from Sol and general heading. Rule #1 of strategy gaming; don't make your job harder than it has to be :)

We're not astronomers or stellar cartographers, we're dumb; we'll see the local stars and our mouths will go agape.

Ok, well in my 'galactic map' the heading is correct for all 'real stars' in the galactic plane, and the distance is relatively correct (thought a but fudged). Anyway, I should have an upload within a few days. so everyone can form their own view, and amend the base map if they wish. :)

Osito

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI