Border Maintaince Impossible? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Sokar408 -> Border Maintaince Impossible? (6/18/2014 3:00:34 PM)

Alright I have been giving this game some intense attention the last 5 days, and despite my attempts, border control is simply proving impossible.

My approach is to put up 10 frigates, at about the 300 size, (I play with very small research, consider them the best ships in the galaxy) on every system I have a colony in, and set them to Range: System, and Defend. It helps, but the pirates usually still gets away with attacking the mines.

How i have trying to heavily weaponize and shield/armor spam on the mining stations, yet the pirates STILL manage to destroy a few now and then. Also even with all of this, the game now becomes a micromanager, as fleets doesn't seem capable of repairing themselves, so I have to do it manual, all the time.

I simply can't afford trying to wipe out the pirates, as there are about 10 of them attacking me all the time. Paying them off won't work either, again because there about 10 of them attacking, all the time.

So my question is. Can someone please point me to a border control guide, or give all the points you got?

Bingeling -> RE: Border Maintaince Impossible? (6/18/2014 3:13:37 PM)

You need to remove their bases, or you will have raiders slip through into eternity.

In my latest AAR with lots of pirates, I had a major struggle until the economy could support a decent fleet. When I had 1 alien capital ship, 35 frigates and 7 destroyers, the fightback started and the closest pirate spaceport was busted. That made those stop bothering me.

My poor, red empire. Start with the blue/green one at the nearest, work on the ones being most annoying. Keep in mind that there were 5-6 different groups raiding either the northern or southern colony. Or raiding both. When you can afford some 40 ships, you can start chasing them away.

[image]http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h426/Bingeling/Universe1/part7/localarea_zps334df3a7.jpg[/image]

Andy06r -> RE: Border Maintaince Impossible? (6/18/2014 3:17:13 PM)

1) Sabotage their space ports if you have good odds at it
2) Combine offense with defense. Attack their stations, divide and conquer their ships. Put up enough pressure, and their raiders won't be at 100% shield when they attack and you'll kill more of them.
3) At the end of the day, most mines are expendable. Investing in a defense station to protect frontier fuel bases can help if you can justify the cost.
4) Pirate attack and defense missions. It can often be beneficial to befriend the pirate mercs and use them as a private army.

Nanaki -> RE: Border Maintaince Impossible? (6/18/2014 3:24:07 PM)

First of all, start a game without respawning pirates. Respawning pirates means that they will forever and ever annoy you.

Time. Time is a pirate's worst enemy, they have huge inherant penalties to research and they generally do not grow economically as well as empires do, on top of that smugglers are as dumb as bricks compared to civvies and the pirates have to pay their smuggler maintenance fees on top of that. So overall a pirate will have much worse economy and much worse research, so you will eventually overtake them.

Espionage is also monsterously effective. The AI is garbage at running your intelligence agency, take the reigns yourself. Assign decent counterespionage officers to 24/7 counterespionage, while sending your espionage-heavy agents to steal technology from the pirates. The pirates main advantage over you is their tech. Once you close that, pirates have a much harder time. You want to focus on espionage until there is nothing left to steal, and the well trained espionage agents will serve you well later.

Also, take a peek at the pirates themselves. Smuggler pirates tend to be much more passive thus you can probably get away with just signing a protection agreement and forgetting about it. Raiders, and to a lesser extent Mercenaries and Balanced, will raid the **** out of you so you need to focus on eliminating them first. Once you are able to fight pirates on their home ground, you can use your agents (remember those espionage agents?) to steal their operations and territory maps which will let you locate their stations and constructor ships and destroy them. Once a pirate loses all stations and constructor ships, it is dead.

Perks are important too. Keep around spies and scientists with Inspiring Presence perk (infact, do not send spies with inspiring presence on any missions whatsoever) and DISMISS those that have Demoralizing, because demoralizing will decimate the perk skills of anyone in the same location/fleet.

Make sure you send all your spies on at least one mission so you know their skills/perks. I once had a demoralizing spy decimate my home command and it turned out to be the one guy that has never ran a mission.

fenrislokison -> RE: Border Maintaince Impossible? (6/18/2014 3:46:44 PM)

- Since you don't have repair components yet, i suppose this is early game. If ikkuro are in the game, it's worth trying to steal their fast repair bot special tech. Equip them on your frigates, it will greatly help for repair management.

- the hyperdeny component is the most useful component to fight against pirates since they flee all the time once outnumbered. By preventing their retreat, you can annihilate their raids ships, so their attack frequency will drop.

- start building a network of monitoring stations/explorer ships equipped with long range scanners. It will help you discover their bases locations. The monitoring stations will probably be attacked, so at first, explorer ships maybe better (remember the long range scanners will only work if the ship stay still).

- deal with pirates clan one by one, destroy bases that are as close as 2 sectors from your empire, you can leave the rest for later. Once a pirate clan has been chased away from your systems, it will probably leave you alone to attack another empire.

- pirate constructions ships are your main targets, if you find one, destroy it asap, it will prevent pirates to rebuild lost bases.

- i don't bother much with it, but try to use assault pods on your ships: once in a while, you'll capture a pirate ship you can include in your fleet or retire for technology. I read that assault pods on mines work quite well for this too.

- if you have trouble building starports because of pirates attacks, try building smaller defense bases first, then the starport.

- i don't really know how much pirates ships you face when raided, but i usually go with only 5-ships defense fleet and 32-ships attack fleet (or the largest i can afford if 32 is too much). Bigger fleets are better in almost all cases.

Sokar408 -> RE: Border Maintaince Impossible? (6/18/2014 8:42:35 PM)

Alright from what I can see here, I simply have to do what I'm doing, and be more systematic in destroying the pirates. Cheers for all the input so far :)

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI