RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Design and Modding

UnfriendlyBG -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/17/2015 5:43:07 PM)

just so you know everything is looking fine in 1.05beta for colonization. I love you how put 60 then 100 mil so theres still a reason to get one of the advanced techs even if the double growth rate is broken. As for the caleph. You could probably just put the tech back to where it was or you can have it how it is in 1.05 whatever you prefer. It doesn't make a difference with their military power really. They had a really bad start in my game and only have like 1 or 2 colonies when the lead players have like 35+. They dwarf everyone in military power. I don't know how actually strong they are since I haven't fought them to say if theyre also OP or just misrepresented. Either way it sucks becauses fighters are cool I just hope it doesnt mess up the diplomacy too much. They did declare war on me, but It was after 2 other people did, but they havent sent any ships. So do whatever you want with the caleph, I dont think it really matters

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/18/2015 12:06:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Shogouki
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but I'm playing a game with your mod installed and something about the tech trading seems off. While doing some diplomatic technology procuring I noticed that technologies that I had just acquired by trading was not available to trade to other empires even though that empire did not posses the technology. I decided to see if it needed time so I unpaused it and let it run for more than a month but the techs that I received via trade were still not listed as being able to trade with other empires. I used espionage to ensure that the empires that I was attempting to trade the newly acquired tech to did not posses those techs. Any ideas?

I'm not sure Shogouki. As far as I know there is nothing in the Mod that would effect this.

Did the technologies show up later on? Maybe the game checks for this is on a longer cycle. Give it 6 months to be sure.

Also, you could confirm whether they really have the technology or not by going into Game Editor.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/18/2015 12:07:59 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: UnfriendlyBG
just so you know everything is looking fine in 1.05beta for colonization. I love you how put 60 then 100 mil so theres still a reason to get one of the advanced techs even if the double growth rate is broken. As for the caleph. You could probably just put the tech back to where it was or you can have it how it is in 1.05 whatever you prefer. It doesn't make a difference with their military power really. They had a really bad start in my game and only have like 1 or 2 colonies when the lead players have like 35+. They dwarf everyone in military power. I don't know how actually strong they are since I haven't fought them to say if theyre also OP or just misrepresented. Either way it sucks becauses fighters are cool I just hope it doesnt mess up the diplomacy too much. They did declare war on me, but It was after 2 other people did, but they havent sent any ships. So do whatever you want with the caleph, I dont think it really matters

Okay thanks BG. Looks good as far as I can see as well.

With the Caleph I intend to keep the changes so they are on par with other races with Special Weapons, rather than being able to research the higher tiers much faster.

Testmann -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/19/2015 2:28:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Icemania
I see there is a "GovernmentBiases.txt" file but I haven't changed that at all from Vanilla. I suppose I can change it, it's a good idea, but how would that benefit the AI? That is the goal of the Mod.

It gives the game a better random generator on diplomatic relations with the AI. And relations could change quite a bit if a race has a revolution. Why not ally a militarist humanoid, if it helps serving the AI's expansionist insectoid plans to attack large blocks of alliances.

In another scenario maybe it could be benefitial for two human AI's to oppose each other if they have opposing governments,
because the other one has some very tasty planets that won't revolt as quickly as insectoid?

All this could have an interesting effect on AI diplomacy with less predictable behavior.

Also, is it possibel to tell the AI to go more after planets that have the same race as them?

quote:

But with the AI Mod I often play on Auto Designs. That said, I have my own design templates, which have minor modifications from the Mod to suit my personal strategy. They are very easy to edit. Ship design can then be left on Auto all game and becomes completely hassle free.

where exactly do you edit those templates?
Is it all in the Extended AI Improvement Mod.xlsx or is it in the design templates folder?
Because I've modified a design in the templates folder before and didn't quite get the results...

I decreased passenger compartnemnts to 4 in the templates but the ai still used around 7-10 of those ingame...

is this meant percentage wise or something?

Beste Grüße!

PsyKoSnake -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/21/2015 12:14:19 PM)

Possible fix for the double population grow.

The wonder : Medical complex work.

So create a free structure (like a lab costing 0$ and 0 Maintenance cost) available with a certain tech, that double population grow on all planet or one type of planet.

The AI would build it, right when it's available.

I think this could fix the problem.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/24/2015 9:21:13 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: PsyKoSnake

Possible fix for the double population grow.

The wonder : Medical complex work.

So create a free structure (like a lab costing 0$ and 0 Maintenance cost) available with a certain tech, that double population grow on all planet or one type of planet.

The AI would build it, right when it's available.

I think this could fix the problem.

Good thought. I'm still hoping it will be fixed in a coming patch. Let's see what happens and if it's not fixed consider this option.

I'm going to be closely following Starlab's Extreme Shakturi Let's Play using the 1.04 release and see if that leads to any good ideas to include in 1.05.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/24/2015 9:24:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Testmann
where exactly do you edit those templates?
Is it all in the Extended AI Improvement Mod.xlsx or is it in the design templates folder?
Because I've modified a design in the templates folder before and didn't quite get the results...

I decreased passenger compartnemnts to 4 in the templates but the ai still used around 7-10 of those ingame...

is this meant percentage wise or something?

Beste Grüße!

Yes the design templates and it's the number of components (pending space limitations and shrinkage which is hard coded). Did you start a new game after the change was made? The templates are encoded in-game when you start.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/24/2015 9:28:11 AM)

quote:

quote:

I see there is a "GovernmentBiases.txt" file but I haven't changed that at all from Vanilla. I suppose I can change it, it's a good idea, but how would that benefit the AI? That is the goal of the Mod.

It gives the game a better random generator on diplomatic relations with the AI. And relations could change quite a bit if a race has a revolution. Why not ally a militarist humanoid, if it helps serving the AI's expansionist insectoid plans to attack large blocks of alliances.

In another scenario maybe it could be benefitial for two human AI's to oppose each other if they have opposing governments,
because the other one has some very tasty planets that won't revolt as quickly as insectoid?

All this could have an interesting effect on AI diplomacy with less predictable behavior.

It could also be bad for the AI in some cases. That said, I agree it could help further spice things up.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (1/24/2015 9:30:12 AM)

quote:

Also, is it possibel to tell the AI to go more after planets that have the same race as them?

Looking at the Policy files it doesn't appear to be moddable.

Tanaka -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (2/1/2015 5:26:56 AM)

Just returning after a major computer disaster and loss of data sigh...but so great to see this mod is still being improved. Thanks Icemania for still going at it! Hopefully will be able to play again when I am done repairing everything...

Osito -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Beta) (2/3/2015 5:54:59 PM)

Wow, I hadn't realised you incorporated a colonisation mod and a hyper speed mod into your AI improvement mod! The AI itself, isn't too much of an issue for me, but changing the colonisation tech tree and the hyperdrive speed do matter to me, so now I can have them and the AI mod. Very nice!

Osito

Osito -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/8/2015 12:52:11 PM)

Icemania, you may be interested in my post in the tech form relating to the double population growth rate bug.

Osito

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/8/2015 1:49:00 PM)

Thanks Osito, I've responded in Tech Support.

I'm watching Larry Monte's Let's Play and the moment and expect some other ideas for changes will eventuate during that series before I release 1.05.

In the meantime there are some further colonisation changes in the below as suggested by UnfriendlyBG. Comments welcome.

Extended AI Improvement Mod 1.05 Beta

[image]local://upfiles/44900/987572FAFC9D49FE82103B929A7ECEF7.jpg[/image]

Osito -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/8/2015 6:59:46 PM)

Icemania,

Looking at your mod again has rekindled my interest in DW, and as a result I'm working on a tech mod myself, and have done something similar for the colonization tree; I feel a bit happier about it now that I know there is at least some benefit in the advanced colonization techs. However, I also separated out terraforming, and I made the dependency on storage go to advanced colonization, because it results in a tidier tree.

What I'm trying to do is:

1. Create some more interesting choices for the player by increasing the distinction between some similar techs.

2. Add some extra techs where is makes sense (but not putting them in simply to increase the length of a tech line for its own sake).

3. Put all the special techs and facilities from the Ancient Galaxy theme into the tech tree. So the zaraktor virus will be playable, for example.

4. Put in some really overpowered, unbalanced end game techs.

5. Throw in a galactic star map scenario to go with it.

I decided to create the tree based around your own mod, so everything else will be based on your mod so far as possible.

However, despite the compatability, it won't be necessarily be an 'AI Improvement mod', as I can't guarantee it won't be easier for the player to win (although I'm trying to avoid changes that would obviously make it easier - other than, perhaps, the end game changes).

Osito

danymatrix -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/9/2015 12:36:15 AM)

Hello! This mod is compatible with the mod STARFALL?

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/9/2015 11:35:57 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: danymatrix
Hello! This mod is compatible with the mod STARFALL?

Unfortunately not. Starfall makes major changes to the technology tree. To apply the AI Improvement Mod to it new research build orders would need to be designed and tested for each race etc.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/9/2015 11:41:25 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito
I decided to create the tree based around your own mod, so everything else will be based on your mod so far as possible.

However, despite the compatability, it won't be necessarily be an 'AI Improvement mod', as I can't guarantee it won't be easier for the player to win (although I'm trying to avoid changes that would obviously make it easier - other than, perhaps, the end game changes).

Osito

Sounds cool Osito.

Note the AI Improvement Mod uses defined research orders for each race which would need to be modified. If you add a technology the AI won't research it unless it's added to that build order.

Osito -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/9/2015 12:04:19 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Osito

Osito

Sounds cool Osito.

Note the AI Improvement Mod uses defined research orders for each race which would need to be modified. If you add a technology the AI won't research it unless it's added to that build order.

Yes, I will do that, and I expect it to be a pain (but not as much of a pain as it must have been for you in the first place). My basic philosophy is to add techs which provide component improvements, rather than adding completely new components, which should hopefully avoid having to change the ship and base designs, and make it easier to follow your tech routes.

Osito

jadelith -> RE: Possible AI Improvement Mod (2/12/2015 2:01:52 PM)

Gahhh I can't decide which weapon type to use... I guess that's a good thing balance-wise, but it's driving the min-maxer inside me crazy. Torpedoes, phasers or beams?? Or hell, even missiles? What do you guys prefer? I'll use one for both ships (I only use capitals - the game is extremely micro-heavy as it is without managing multiple ship types) and for bases/mining stations. Pls help me : p

Icemania -> RE: Possible AI Improvement Mod (2/13/2015 1:49:24 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jadelith
Gahhh I can't decide which weapon type to use... I guess that's a good thing balance-wise, but it's driving the min-maxer inside me crazy. Torpedoes, phasers or beams?? Or hell, even missiles? What do you guys prefer? I'll use one for both ships (I only use capitals - the game is extremely micro-heavy as it is without managing multiple ship types) and for bases/mining stations. Pls help me : p

Glad to hear it! I still like Torpedoes but mix it up from game to game without feeling like it's a handicap. Playing a fighter focused race is great fun on the new laptop! Area Weapons remain a problem unfortunately.

jadelith -> RE: Possible AI Improvement Mod (2/13/2015 2:33:59 PM)

I have i5 3750k at 4.1 & 980 evga, and I still have performance problems with fighters. Also i feel like fighters waste a lot of time flying towards targets, so that a lot of their theoretical dps is lost, so i don't really like them.

Torps are still beasts IMO. Jack of all trades and still very high armor pen. & damage. I actually want to use railguns, but the fact that they're relatively bad vs everything else puts me off. Maybe I'll manually increase their stats to make them on par with others at end game for fun (increase range to say 900 but decrease damage with distance?)

And this mod ruined vanilla for me.. I can no longer play it :/ mostly because I no longer have to redesign everything for 10 min at the beginning of each game :p

solops -> RE: Possible AI Improvement Mod (2/24/2015 10:34:35 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jadelith

I use everything because I like lots of different colors and sounds during combat. Pretty.....

Sithuk -> RE: Possible AI Improvement Mod (2/25/2015 6:29:02 AM)

What happens if I select torp research for a race that has its designs optimised for missiles? Will the game code adapt the designs once the higher level research is available for the non-default weapon type?

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/25/2015 9:30:20 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk
What happens if I select torp research for a race that has its designs optimised for missiles? Will the game code adapt the designs once the higher level research is available for the non-default weapon type?

The designs will work in that case ... but it only works for very similar weapon types ... and this is hard coded.

Even then keep in mind the designs would not be optimised. For example Missiles and Torpedoes are slightly different in size, and as the design templates use a fixed number of components, those numbers vary in the race design templates depending on the race's weapon preference.

So when I play my customised Quameno race I change both the research orders and design templates in combination.

Sithuk -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/26/2015 8:32:08 PM)

quote:

So when I play my customised Quameno race I change both the research orders and design templates in combination.

You copy over the contents of the "designTemplates" folder from a race which uses the default weapons types that I would like to use?

NZFade -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/27/2015 5:53:47 AM)

Hey Icemania,

Thanks for this mod, it is great, using the one that also includes DW:U extended. One thing I have noticed as an avid thief of tech from other races, is that the Banoserit do not actually research their Far Sight Sensors. Not sure if that has been noted before, but looking at your included excel file they research sensors (research #198) as their 23rd Hi Tech project but at no time does Research project #391 appear.

Given the good balance you already have with the races and research can you suggest the placement for these techs? or just a 1 for 1 replacement with normal long range sensor tech? Best possible outcome for me will be if you just post an amended race file :D but that is only because I am lazy.

Thanks again for the work to date on this mod, really hope that you are able to work with/advise Osito on his Research Unleashed mod as well to bring the customised research orders. Currently playing on 280k research costs to drag it out a bit more, but more tech would also be pretty cool.

Edit : I have not read any form of bug tracker or in detail on this thread so you may already be aware of the issue, in which case I shall apologise and slink into a corner and wait for an update like everyone else.

Regards.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/27/2015 8:48:22 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Sithuk

quote:

You copy over the contents of the "designTemplates" folder from a race which uses the default weapons types that I would like to use?

Yes and then modify to suit my personal preferences. For example I prefer more fuel cells on Explorers but doing that in the Mod that can cause problems for the AI.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/27/2015 9:09:45 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: NZFade

Hey Icemania,

Thanks for this mod, it is great, using the one that also includes DW:U extended. One thing I have noticed as an avid thief of tech from other races, is that the Banoserit do not actually research their Far Sight Sensors. Not sure if that has been noted before, but looking at your included excel file they research sensors (research #198) as their 23rd Hi Tech project but at no time does Research project #391 appear.

Given the good balance you already have with the races and research can you suggest the placement for these techs? or just a 1 for 1 replacement with normal long range sensor tech? Best possible outcome for me will be if you just post an amended race file :D but that is only because I am lazy.

Thanks again for the work to date on this mod, really hope that you are able to work with/advise Osito on his Research Unleashed mod as well to bring the customised research orders. Currently playing on 280k research costs to drag it out a bit more, but more tech would also be pretty cool.

Edit : I have not read any form of bug tracker or in detail on this thread so you may already be aware of the issue, in which case I shall apologise and slink into a corner and wait for an update like everyone else.

Regards.

Quite right, I completely missed that, cheers! I have a 1.05 release but the changelog is very small at this point so you've just helped me add an item. Hopefully Larry Monte will continue his Let's Play series because the plan was to use that to keep an eye out for other changes.

In the meantime here is the proposed research order to put in the Banoserit race file:

HighTechResearchProjectOrder ; 212,249,253,227,254,282,219,235,225,224,220,182,188,204,391,245,255,236,223,239,398,394,395,392,183,189,205,213,228,262,256,284,251,184,190,250,263,264,265,185,191,186,192,187,193,266,267,243,198,199,205,206,207,214,222,397,221,396,226,399

I'll definitely comment on Osito's mod at some point.

NZFade -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (2/27/2015 6:30:42 PM)

Great thanks.

If that is the Extreme play through with with Human Race and Shakturi events on, I too have been watching that, been a good play to pick up tips and see what people do differently.

I do note that the Banoserit are actually forced to double research to some extent because the long range sensors are tied into the stealth research. Is it possible to link their first sensor as an alternate path to stealth or maybe just make unlink the long range sensors to that tech. lets face it, you need the long range sensors so people will still research them.

Icemania -> RE: AI Improvement Mod (1.04 Release) (3/5/2015 8:54:15 AM)

Good point about the Banoserit NZFade. I'll consider that for the next release (although note a new release isn't planned ... but might happen one day).

Page: <<   < prev  25 26 [27] 28 29   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI