Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

LoBaron -> Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/12/2014 8:03:43 AM)

Playing an early game to get back into DW (Universe) and loving it so far.

I have taken over an independent colony which had been raided several times before by a pirate faction. Before I sent my colony ship the pirates finished a hidden pirate base and began working on a pirate fortress - which was completed shortly after the planet joined my young empire.

What I noticed already is that anything below 12-15 low tech divisions with a decent general is a no-go when attacking a fortress.

So my questions are:

- While I still lack the production and logistics capability to annihilate the pirates on my planet, what are the effects of those two buildings on the colony as well as my empire?

- Can I simply negotiate a protection fee with the pirates and wait for stronger times without danger?

- In general, how do you interact with pirat factions early game? Do you bahave differently depending on pirate type?

Thanks in advance.

DeadlyShoe -> RE: Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/12/2014 8:33:35 AM)

-It'll up your corruption by 20% (base) and an additional 10% (fortress). This is lost tax money, which doesnt actually hurt you much if the planet generates no noticable taxes. The only effect on your empire is the increased threat posed by the pirates having more income. On the plus side, the base will help defend against pirate raids by other pirate factions.

The biggest future concern is if a pirate faction decides to build a Criminal Network on the planet. If this structure is completed, the planet will leave your empire and become property of the pirate faction. Note: A pirate faction can only ever have one Criminal Network. Getting the planet back in that case will require an actual invasion.

-Basically, yes.

-Smugglers and mercenaries generally seem more trustworthy. But overall the pirate type won't make a big difference on how I treat them.

Keston -> RE: Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/12/2014 12:53:14 PM)

quote:

Note: A pirate faction can only ever have one Criminal Network.

Before I do something risky - is that only one at any time, or just one and if it's gone then no more?

Admittedly I wasn't paying close attention given all the clicking and scrolling etc., but is it right that pirates may turn out to fight against invaders both when independent and when the planet is owned by an empire? If not, I might have missed an independence episode in between the multiple attacks.

Nanaki -> RE: Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/12/2014 1:14:38 PM)

If a criminal network is destroyed it can be rebuilt elsewhere. The pirate faction can only have one functional at a time.

quote:

- While I still lack the production and logistics capability to annihilate the pirates on my planet, what are the effects of those two buildings on the colony as well as my empire?

It adds 30% corruption to the planet in question. Also, if any other pirate attempts to raid the planet, it is likely the other pirates will show up to protect their turf, so to speak.

quote:

- Can I simply negotiate a protection fee with the pirates and wait for stronger times without danger?

Sure.

quote:

- In general, how do you interact with pirat factions early game? Do you bahave differently depending on pirate type?

I generally pick out a smuggler or mercenary pirate faction, sign a cheap protection agreement, then squish all the other pirate factions. Generally, your 'pet pirates' will help you defend and attack against other pirates and (sometimes) empires, are not likely to turn on you, and they can only 'Criminal Network' one planet. Make sure that planet is an unimportant backwater you care little about as generally pirates do not properly manage their owned planets at all. Note that launching attacks on pirate bases/fortresses does NOT break protection agreements.

LoBaron -> RE: Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/13/2014 2:05:53 PM)

Thank you gentlemen (and insectiod).

towerbooks3192 -> RE: Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/13/2014 3:39:17 PM)

Question for pirate side. Criminal Network = Owning a planet like a Normal Empire and then being able to invade other planets like a normal empire or stuck in a life of raiding?

Nanaki -> RE: Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/13/2014 4:12:52 PM)

Sort of. You can train troops, and build colonization/construction ships with a planet of your own... but the other pirate advantages/disadvantages still stick around for the most part.

Unforeseen -> RE: Effect of Hidden Pirate Base/Fortress on Empire (7/13/2014 4:14:51 PM)

I think you can only ever have one planet as a pirate faction.

Edit: NVM guess i'm wrong :P

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI