Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Flashpoint Campaigns Series

[Poll]

Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it?

Yes, where do I send the check?
  56% (78)
Yes, but it has to do or have X before I invest.
  8% (12)
Maybe
  14% (20)
No, I'm not a fan of grand tactical WW2 action.
  1% (2)
No, the world does not need another WW2 game
  19% (27)

Total Votes : 139
(last vote on : 3/20/2018 12:35:58 AM)
(Poll will run till: -- )

CapnDarwin -> Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 1:12:20 PM)

Well the title says it all basically. If OTS did a version of the game engine set in WW2 and modified for the setting (250m hexes, tweaks for combat of the era), would you buy the game? I figured it was worth asking while we wait for the update and we (OTS) are laying out our Southern Storm (2.1) road map.

What would a good WW2 version have to have for you to drop some coin? Please comment.

Thanks. [8D]

montanaza -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 1:32:18 PM)

Definitely Yes!!!

YES YES YES YES YES YES YES

Can I buy now :D

jack54 -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 1:37:47 PM)

Yes... definitely.

@ 250 per hex it would feel like a suped-up WEGO PanzerBlitz.![:)]

DoubleDeuce -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 1:46:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack54

Exactly my thought too! . . . and yes, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The thing I really like with this game is it plays like a boardgame built on top of an underlying simulation.

DoubleDeuce -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 2:37:35 PM)

Honestly though, just redoing the game engine to support 250m hexes and the already access to data via excel opens up many possibilities right there. You could theoretically do about modern era stuff, 20th century onward. Heck, you could probably even do ACW stuff with it.

montanaza -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 2:41:12 PM)

That being said, I know you had mentioned Mid-East in the past. That isn't nearly as riveting to me as the WW2 option you are proposing here.

FWIW...

governato -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 4:37:08 PM)

I would definitely buy a WWII, East Front or North Africa version of Flashpoint.
Yes, there are many WWII games, but very few with a realistic and easy to grasp C&C as in this game.

FroBodine -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 4:41:48 PM)

Yes, definitely. Start working on it now, please! Drop the Southern Storm thing. I don't understand the argument that we don't need another WW2 game. This engine is brilliant, and would make an all new and exciting WW2 simulation game, never before seen on this planet.

I'm in! Onwards!

wodin -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 5:13:51 PM)

Those who vote no..thanks. I'd never vote no to any game idea whether if I wasn't interested cos I know others will be and I wouldn't want them to miss out. The fact we haven't got a WW2 game with this sort of mechanic either makes it a must for a WW2 version. Games are really about the mechanics and gameplay and then it's the era\theater.

I wouldn't have put the no vote option in. I'd have just done the others, you can still see the demand for i doing i that way.

Funny how all those who voted yes actually posted aswell..and are regular forum posters.

CapnDarwin -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 5:32:33 PM)

The basic idea is to shake the trees and see what people think.

Wolfe1759 -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 5:36:49 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Double Deuce

quote:

ORIGINAL: jack54

Exactly my thought too! . . . and yes, I would buy it in a heartbeat.

The thing I really like with this game is it plays like a boardgame built on top of an underlying simulation.

My thoughts as well.

I only got round to buying FC:RS a week or so ago, already having lots of fun with it and would buy a WW2 version if/when it is done.

TheWombat_matrixforum -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 5:43:47 PM)

I said yes, but you'd have to do X. The "X" includes having a nice variety of tactical situations, ultimately covering multiple fronts and periods of the war; an overlay/map planning feature to help us both play the game and follow historical battles; and the incorporation of some of the graphical improvements to maps and counters that we've seen from the mod community.

WWII is not my first choice--more WWIII hypothetical and modern Middle East would be more my liking--but I like WWII well enough. I'm not an East Front junkie, really, but that theater offers enormous opportunity for scenarios and campaigns at this scale. But so does Italy and France/Belgium/Netherlands, as well as the Western Desert.

kipanderson -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 5:45:03 PM)

Hi,

Yup I would buy any WWII versions of the engine. Cold War good... makes nice change... but WWII is the number one setting.

However... weirdly... given what others think... I would prefer 500m hexes. The operational side of the engine is the magic for me. Slowing the game down would be plus.

For tactics I do think CM outguns all comers.

This engine covers the very lowest level of operations fantastically. And is a superbly high quality product wish adds a lot.

All the best,
Kip.

DoubleDeuce -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 6:04:11 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: kipanderson

However... weirdly... given what others think... I would prefer 500m hexes.

What about concerns that hexes that large would negatively affect the game's maneuver aspect given the shorter ranges of early war equipment?

RealChuckB -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 6:44:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wodin

Those who vote no..thanks. I'd never vote no to any game idea whether if I wasn't interested cos I know others will be and I wouldn't want them to miss out. The fact we haven't got a WW2 game with this sort of mechanic either makes it a must for a WW2 version. Games are really about the mechanics and gameplay and then it's the era\theater.

I wouldn't have put the no vote option in. I'd have just done the others, you can still see the demand for i doing i that way.

Funny how all those who voted yes actually posted aswell..and are regular forum posters.

In a world of unlimited resources, I would like this engine to be expanded to all possible ages/scenarios. In the world that we're actually dealing with, I think that this engine (as one of the very few that works with/was created for modern conflicts) should stay focused on modern conflicts and getting those of us, who are mainly interested in modern conflict and who are sorely underserved, more interesting scenarios.

So, in short - it's a no from me until a yes doesn't mean that modern scenarios/expansions are pushed out (also, from a statistical perspective, leaving out a "no" option doesn't really create a meaningful result)

CapnDarwin -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 7:14:32 PM)

Chuck, there is no plan to jump off our current modern agenda and dive into a WW2 title. So you are safe to vote your conscience. [:D]

Bipman -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 7:41:25 PM)

I would like to see a modern day version of the current game say involving USA, Europe, China, Russia and maybe North Korea ?

SPG

Mad Russian -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 9:13:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck B.

quote:

...I think that this engine (as one of the very few that works with/was created for modern conflicts) should stay focused on modern conflicts and getting those of us, who are mainly interested in modern conflict and who are sorely underserved, more interesting scenarios.

I guess that leaves me with the question as to what you find uninteresting about the scenarios that we have now?

Good Hunting.

MR

Jafele -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 9:13:36 PM)

I love FCRS basically because of its amazing engine. The replayability is high, however I guess sooner or later IŽll get tired of playing the same scenarios over and over again. Will we have a random map generator for the next game? This powerful AI in random maps would add loads of replayability. Make it real and I will buy everything you do. [&o]

RealChuckB -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 9:16:28 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mad Russian

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chuck B.

quote:

...I think that this engine (as one of the very few that works with/was created for modern conflicts) should stay focused on modern conflicts and getting those of us, who are mainly interested in modern conflict and who are sorely underserved, more interesting scenarios.

I guess that leaves me with the question as to what you find uninteresting about the scenarios that we have now?

Good Hunting.

MR

Nope, that leaves you with being happy that I want more (as in "additional") scenarios using this engine

Mad Russian -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 9:21:13 PM)

Then you're in luck there is a new campaign coming with the update. This is Flashpoint CAMPAIGNS after all. There are also more campaigns in the works for between now and the release of Southern Storm. I would like to continue with our attempts to support the community with free content at both Thanksgiving and Christmas. We'll see how that works out but that is the plan.

Good Hunting.

MR

Hexagon -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/16/2014 10:20:42 PM)

In my case depends of 2 factors.

The most important for me is INTHENAMEOFGOD not a Normandy-Market Garden-Bulge title!!!! i see attractive a north Africa title or a not well covered battle (Berlin for example) or The Pacific but here enter the 2nd factor.

Infantry model... i think that engine needs a way to show more details in infantry area, change abstract squad but a "container" of soldiers to cover better how squads take damage, with this engine can deal much better with more "pure" infantry battles.

I dont say NO to a WWII game but now maybe i prefer a lot more see a middle east title.

Panta_slith -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 12:38:29 AM)

I concur with everything Hexagon has said in the previous post!

Hoyt Burrass -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 12:45:35 AM)

Where do I sign up for testing?[:)]

IronManBeta -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 1:12:36 AM)

Thanks for this suggestion re infantry modelling! Rob

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

In my case depends of 2 factors.

The most important for me is INTHENAMEOFGOD not a Normandy-Market Garden-Bulge title!!!! i see attractive a north Africa title or a not well covered battle (Berlin for example) or The Pacific but here enter the 2nd factor.

Infantry model... i think that engine needs a way to show more details in infantry area, change abstract squad but a "container" of soldiers to cover better how squads take damage, with this engine can deal much better with more "pure" infantry battles.

I dont say NO to a WWII game but now maybe i prefer a lot more see a middle east title.

demiller -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 1:23:57 AM)

Would I buy it? Yes. It'd be a great WW2 engine. Would I be disappointed if the modern space hadn't been pretty thoroughly explored first? Also yes.

WABAC -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 2:13:07 AM)

Even if you don't put us to sleep with a Normandy invasion scenario I don't see how you move forward on this without decent naval gunfire and amphibious movement gizmos.

If it's all Soviets, Nazis, mud, and frostbite, then maybe I don't buy the game. I'm interested in Norway, Syria, Guadalcanal, the Kokoda Trail, Philippines, Sicily, Indonesia, Burma, Singapore, Torch and Tunisia, Foret de Paroy, Nordwind, Falaise, Vosges, Hurtgen, and a lot of other stuff that is seldom covered.

But if you continue to tweak the engine on post WWII scenarios it is fine with me if you do so by updating the engine while touring Scandinavia, Korea, the Middle East, and so on. As an Avalon Hill child of the 60's and an adult Central Front SPI gamer of the 80's I'm up for all of that so long as current scenarios can be modified to fit the engine updates.

I do wonder if 250 meters is short enough for WWII to avoid brewing it up in the hex. Seems like a lot would depend on the reach of the various heavy, medium, and light machine guns. IIRC (always a big if) German MG's (for example) were intended to suppress at much shorter ranges than 250 meters.

And if you got down to a shorter range we might be talking ACW, Napoleonics, and more.

I think it is time for me to step away from the computer now. [:D]

cbelva -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 2:54:59 AM)

The goal of the team is to keep moving this system forward with each new release. Rob and Jim have lots of great ideas, the problem is in prioritizing them and then having the time to implement them. We also want to tie specific improvements to specific releases/theaters. Time is the biggest limiting factor we have. There were other features that we would have like to included with the Red Storm release, but you would still not have the game if we had waited. We were able to implement a few of these wished for improvements in the 2.04 patch. They have changed the way I play the game. One beta tester has stated that he can't imagine going back to playing the game the way it was.

The 2.1 release should really move the system along as long as Rob can get them all the changes implemented in a timely manner.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Hexagon

You need to be careful what you wish for. One of the strength of this system is the balance between the way it handles abstractions and reality. The game does not track every individual bullet or ration. That is designed. Too much realism slows the game down. However, the abstractions have to be believable. I have been involved with a similar system that model infantry by the use of "containers" of soldiers. It did not model infantry any better, but in fact added new problems. And it tended to slow the game down trying to track the men and what was happening to them. The fast pace of this game is one of its strengths and I would hate to loose that while the program is slowed down trying to track too many variables.

That being said, there is still plenty of room for improvement with the infantry model and I personally have spent a lot of my own time testing it and making recommendations to Ron and Jim. And I plan on continuing to do that as we move forward.

Alex1812 -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 5:09:30 AM)

There are a lot of WW2 tactical games. It's not the problem to buy the new one, but as for me, the more interesting and not usual period is the Middle East wars like campaigns 1967, 1973 and 1982.

laska2k8 -> RE: Flashpoint Campaigns in WW2 - Would you buy it? (7/17/2014 9:57:14 AM)

I know there's a lot of WW2 tactical wargames out there, I haven't bought this title yet but one of my friends plays this title to death and I had the opportunity to take a look it.

Well, yes it's fun, I like the engine, the turn resolution, the wego system, and I could love the game in general (the modded maps are fantastic) but only if focused in the WW2 era and especially the west and southern Europe (maybe north Africa).

Hope this game leads also in this direction.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI