NSM to be tested on LCS (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Rudd -> NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 2:21:37 AM)

quote:

The littoral combat ship USS Coronado will get a chance at an historic LCS first this fall when it launches a surface-to-surface missile in tests off Southern California.

The US Navy confirmed this week that the Coronado is scheduled to test-launch the Kongsberg Naval Strike Missile (NSM) off Point Mugu, California, where the Naval Air Warfare Center maintains an extensively-instrumented missile range

from http://www.defensenews.com/article/20140724/DEFREG02/307240028/LCS-Conduct-Test-Norwegian-Missile

Feltan -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 2:28:48 AM)

That is an interesting, welcome and unexpected development.

It will be interesting to see what comes out, if anything, from the testing.

Regards,
Feltan

ComDev -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 8:48:05 AM)

Sweet [8D]

NakedWeasel -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 11:34:34 AM)

I am fairly disgusted with the way the USN is ****footing around with the LCS. "Littoral COMBAT Ship." It says so right on the box... Grrrr. Give it some damn teeth, you limp dicks.

OnFire -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 12:13:58 PM)

LSC reminds me of the F-35 fiasco.

Rudd -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 12:46:35 PM)

quote:

The test will follow a successful NSM launch July 10 from the Norwegian frigate Fridtjof Nansen during Rim of the Pacific (RIMPAC) exercises near Hawaii. The frigate fired a single NSM at the decommissioned amphibious ship Ogden and scored a direct hit.

Rag or anybody,

Any idea why the Norwegian test was near Hawaii and not near say...Spitsbergen?

ckfinite -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 1:30:33 PM)

They did the test at RIMPAC because it allowed them to practice coordinating with allied ships as well as giving them the ability to fire it at a real target vessel.

NakedWeasel -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (7/25/2014 3:00:13 PM)

Probably also due to the area in which they can test. If Europe's sea areas are as congested as their airspace, I would imagine it makes testing a new ASM rather difficult. This is the reason why a lot of our allies are starting to use American airspace to do A2A combat training. Which also gives them as well as the US the advantage of dissimilar combat simulation. How cool is all that, right? They get to know our tactics and equipment, we get to learn theirs, and everyone gets to practice operating as ONE TEAM. Sheer brilliance. [sm=00000436.gif]

Rudd -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/24/2014 3:43:32 PM)

http://news.usni.org/2014/09/24/navy-norwegian-missile-test-littoral-combat-ship-successful

mikmykWS -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/24/2014 4:30:55 PM)

Wonder how serious this is? I'm no expert but looks less engineered than I would expect.

Mike

scottb613 -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/24/2014 5:10:33 PM)

Hi Folks,

Hah - figured out how worthless LCS's are in the Command advertised South China Sea scenario... They could have packed up and went home for all the use they served... A decent missle might change all that...

Regards,
Scott

xavierv -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/25/2014 11:46:28 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Wonder how serious this is? I'm no expert but looks less engineered than I would expect.

Mike

+1
Looks like they just bolted the launcher down on the helipad and launched from a remote control.

In other words, 0 integration. That seems too cheap and half assed for USN.

CV32 -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/25/2014 12:25:03 PM)

Unfortunately there is no formal requirement for a missile like NSM on the LCS.

jtoatoktoe -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/25/2014 4:11:35 PM)

They still need something better than Griffin or Hellfire since they aren't typically going to be sailing in a Strike Group it seems. NSM would give them a better weapon than Harpoon with better range and a fighting chance at surviving an encounter with an enemy. I mean there are small patrol boat size ships out there lugging around large anti ship missiles that will outrage anything LCS can throw out right now.

Sakai007 -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/25/2014 7:17:46 PM)

I was reading in one of the articles posted earlier where a USN officer was saying that a 100 mile range missile isn't the right choice for a ship that cant find a target at 100 miles with it's own sensors. While that does make sense, couldn't the embarked helo provide OTH targeting information for the LCS?

poaw -> RE: NSM to be tested on LCS (9/25/2014 8:07:06 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: scottb613
Hah - figured out how worthless LCS's are in the Command advertised South China Sea scenario... They could have packed up and went home for all the use they served... A decent missle might change all that...

I used them as an ASW screen for the DDG...

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI