Help! Loss of internet! (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

sventhebold -> Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 12:13:22 AM)

Dear Sirs,
I come before you with an unusual plea. I have been playing PBEM WITP with my partner Pompack for about 8 years. Now in the last couple of weeks my email is being refused by the system and we cannot conduct our warfare as the turns will not go through, disappear or be delivered several hours later.
I have contacted MSN and they say nothing is wrong and my local cable provider Cable One also nothing is wrong yet my turns do not go through. We even resorted to sending empty header notes and they are randomly refused or do no go out. I am at my wits end as i have NEVER experienced a problem like this before. Viruses and other crap sure. But nothing like this. I have checked my system for problems and all other email fuctions work fine. This is strange as we are transmitting the same files back and forth on a daily basis for 8 years! Now no luck. What do you grognards have to say?
I'm terribly upset about this.

Thanks for any help in advance
Sventhebold@msn.com
PS I'm leaving for a week for docotrs appts but i will be back on the air in about 8 days.

Quixote -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 2:06:00 AM)

While I've never had to use it, there are quite a few players here who use Dropbox to exchange turns. If you continue to have problems with email, you may want to take a look at this as a second option. I gather most players use this in 2x2 (or more) games, but it should be able to serve as at least a temporary fix in your 1x1 game if nothing else is working right now. Hope this helps.

EHansen -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 2:24:45 AM)

Maybe try using gmail?

Chickenboy -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 3:12:30 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote

While I've never had to use it, there are quite a few players here who use Dropbox to exchange turns. If you continue to have problems with email, you may want to take a look at this as a second option. I gather most players use this in 2x2 (or more) games, but it should be able to serve as at least a temporary fix in your 1x1 game if nothing else is working right now. Hope this helps.

+1 to Dropbox. Very helpful turn exchange. Gmail is also a useful (and free) option for you. Good luck!

ETA: Sventhebold-just thought of this: could there be an issue with file size for your email exchange? It's unlikely, but some bare-bones ISPs limit file attachments to 20MB or less. If you've been playing a long time, how big are the exchange files?

crsutton -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 4:02:37 AM)

Dropbox.

cohimbra -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 7:21:44 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Chickenboy

+1 to Dropbox.

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Dropbox.

+3 to Dropbox.

btd64 -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 1:49:26 PM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quixote

ETA: Sventhebold-just thought of this: could there be an issue with file size for your email exchange? It's unlikely, but some bare-bones ISPs limit file attachments to 20MB or less. If you've been playing a long time, how big are the exchange files?

This is a good point....GP

witpqs -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 5:53:42 PM)

Gmail, just for one example, will also give you Google Drive and allows you to upload files there and email the links. Your opponent can then download them with no worry about sending or receiving large email attachments.

kaleun -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 9:26:29 PM)

Dropbox+4

comsolut -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/16/2014 9:36:27 PM)

Dropbox +5

sventhebold -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/25/2014 5:27:45 PM)

Thank you all! Downloading dropbox as we type.

John 3rd -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/25/2014 5:32:46 PM)

Is dropbox really that useful? I've had other recommend it but have never tried it. I am awful with new tech and need a little 'selling' here...

geofflambert -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/25/2014 6:17:29 PM)

I'm good at dropping things and am also awful with new tech. I need something called "HammerNail". [:D] Actually I used dropbox on my first PBEM and it was easy.

geofflambert -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/25/2014 6:20:17 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: witpqs

Gmail, just for one example, will also give you Google Drive and allows you to upload files there and email the links. Your opponent can then download them with no worry about sending or receiving large email attachments.

But I don't think Dropbox reads your stuff or sells it or turns you in for bombing Pearl Harbor. [:-]

sventhebold -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/25/2014 7:19:01 PM)

It seems to work fine. Unlike the email which refuses to work.

Chickenboy -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/26/2014 2:00:54 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: geofflambert

I'm good at dropping things and am also awful with new tech. I need something called "HammerNail".

geoffalmbert, may I suggest "Rock. Bigger Rock." for your needs? It's pretty foolproof and with implements you may be more familiar.

geofflambert -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/26/2014 2:05:31 AM)

quote:

quote:

I'm good at dropping things and am also awful with new tech. I need something called "HammerNail".

geoffalmbert, may I suggest "Rock. Bigger Rock." for your needs? It's pretty foolproof and with implements you may be more familiar.

quote:

Thanks for any help in advance

But those damn styrofoam rocks don't do much. I need more kinetic energy.

geofflambert -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/26/2014 2:10:02 AM)

You know, on my planet we use depleted marshmallow guts in our ordinance. Even the Romulans are in awe!

witpqs -> RE: Help! Loss of internet! (8/26/2014 2:25:45 AM)

quote:

You know, on my planet we use depleted marshmallow guts in our ordinance. Even the Romulans are in awe!

So that explains why marshmallows are so light - you blokes have stolen all the pits!

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI