Game won't start (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series >> Tech Support

General Fear -> Game won't start (8/23/2014 1:51:12 PM)

So I have had this game for several days. I have ran it for several days. Today it stopped working.
It will not start there is no crash or error message. I click on Play button and nothing.

I tried to update the game with the latest patches and it did not help.

I have no error message to share. I have no error logs. Nothing is happening.

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Game won't start (8/24/2014 3:08:06 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: General Fear

So I have had this game for several days. I have ran it for several days. Today it stopped working.
It will not start there is no crash or error message. I click on Play button and nothing.

Hello General Fear.

Just curious but...
Did something unique happen, such as a Windows update get applied? Did your anti-virus update or
did it quarantine the DistantWorlds.exe file? It sounds like that might be what happened. Do you
have the Distant Worlds directory folder selected for exclusion in your anti-virus settings?

Did you try reinstalling Distant Worlds? Just some thoughts! [&:]

General Fear -> RE: Game won't start (8/24/2014 2:22:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ehsumrell1

quote:

Hello General Fear.

Just curious but...
Did something unique happen, such as a Windows update get applied? Did your anti-virus update or
did it quarantine the DistantWorlds.exe file? It sounds like that might be what happened. Do you
have the Distant Worlds directory folder selected for exclusion in your anti-virus settings?

Did you try reinstalling Distant Worlds? Just some thoughts! [&:]

I did not update Windows. I have automatic updates turned off.
I updated DU and it still did not work. So I uninstalled DU
and then reinstalled it.

Still DU does not work.

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Game won't start (8/24/2014 8:17:06 PM)

Something obviously has happened to either your DistantWorlds.exe file or a registry
entry relating to it.

What anti-virus are you using? Kaspersky? McAfee?
Also, in the anti-virus you are using, do you have the Distant Worlds installation directory
set as an exception?
There have been issues before where certain anti-virus software were
reading the DistantWorlds.exe file as a virus and was quarantining it, thus causing the exact
problem you've described (even though it was a false positive).

Also, if you don't already have it, download and run the free registry cleaner called "CCleaner" by
Piriform. You can download it from here: https://www.piriform.com/CCLEANER

Uninstall DW once more, run CCleaner (run the registry cleaner first, then the general cleaner), reboot,
reinstall DW, make certain your anti-virus has the DW install directory as an exception. Run a anti-virus
full scan, THEN run DW. If that doesn't work, I can only suggest to contact Matrix support in case you have a system or some other problem. Hope this helps get your game playing again! Sorry I can't do more.

General Fear -> RE: Game won't start (8/26/2014 10:52:07 PM)

Thanks for the response.

Do I have to register the game for it to work?

ehsumrell1 -> RE: Game won't start (8/27/2014 2:35:40 AM)

quote:

Thanks for the response.

Do I have to register the game for it to work?

No, but registering your game benefits you greatly. Especially if you lose your game serial key.

Did you try my suggestions to get your game to work?

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI