Ship Repair: SS Drum (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

guytipton41 -> Ship Repair: SS Drum (8/31/2014 12:00:11 PM)

Hi Folks,

Running a Scenario 1 GC with the latest Beta.

The SS Drum has been Pierside at Midway for a week or so getting some repairs. She has two major points of engine damage left. These can not be repaired at Midway. There are a couple of things that that I think could happen. Either A) She pops out of the repair pool 1-3 days after the last repairable damage is fixed with a "X" or B) She stays in the repair pool forever and has to be moved to Readiness manually. Interestingly enough it appear that B is the correct answer. Does this jive with what everyone else is seeing?

BTW when I try to figure out Major Damage for SS in the manual I find (p241): "For Midget Submarines: Major Engine Damage can be repaired by a port of size 6 or greater, or by an AR or AS. Major Float Damage still requires a shipyard or ARD." and (p245) "AS May assist repair of submarines only. Cannot repair Major damage" The Ship Repair 101 Guide appears to lump all subs together, midget or not.

Cheers,
Guy

[image]local://upfiles/37716/997B26F4F4DC4E518B82F4B961327434.jpg[/image]

guytipton41 -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (8/31/2014 12:01:23 PM)

And Trackers view.

[image]local://upfiles/37716/13E1046938B44CD0AB96FF273C59761A.jpg[/image]

guytipton41 -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (8/31/2014 12:02:03 PM)

And Midway's view

[image]local://upfiles/37716/18AFF536708C4B2CA1F0997FE5EFC0CC.jpg[/image]

crsutton -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (8/31/2014 3:21:26 PM)

Yes, you will have to move her out manually. My understanding is that engine damage will need a yard for repair. However, I don't fret much about a point or two of engine damage. You may lose a knot of speed, but that is about all.

jmalter -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (8/31/2014 5:08:00 PM)

The AS can repair an SS's minor engine damage, but only an AR can repair the major damage, & only if it's 5 points or less. (Ship Repair 101, Table G).
Yes, you must manually move SS Drum to Pierside before she can return to service, typically it takes 3 days at Pierside. I put this down to re-arming & re-provisioning the boat, ntm getting 1 or more of the crew out of the Shore Patrol's brig.
crsutton is prob'ly right, Drum can return to patrol. But by turn 1000+, shouldn't you already have an AR, AD, AV/AVPs & small ARD stationed at Midway?

Flicker -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (8/31/2014 11:01:00 PM)

BTW USS Drum is on display in Mobile Alabama at Battleship Memorial Park with USS Alabama (BB-60):

http://www.ussalabama.com/uss_drum.php

This site has a nice video tour of Drum:

http://www.drum228.org/

guytipton41 -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (9/1/2014 5:50:45 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: jmalter

The AS can repair an SS's minor engine damage, but only an AR can repair the major damage, & only if it's 5 points or less. (Ship Repair 101, Table G).
Yes, you must manually move SS Drum to Pierside before she can return to service, typically it takes 3 days at Pierside. I put this down to re-arming & re-provisioning the boat, ntm getting 1 or more of the crew out of the Shore Patrol's brig.
crsutton is prob'ly right, Drum can return to patrol. But by turn 1000+, shouldn't you already have an AR, AD, AV/AVPs & small ARD stationed at Midway?

Hi jmalter,

The KB was operating only 800 NM from Midway last month. I don't feel safe having any high value ships in a place so vulnerable.

Cheers,
Guy

guytipton41 -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (9/1/2014 5:54:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: crsutton

Yes, you will have to move her out manually. My understanding is that engine damage will need a yard for repair. However, I don't fret much about a point or two of engine damage. You may lose a knot of speed, but that is about all.

Hi crsutton,

That's the key factor, it has to be done manually. Another task that you have to add to the rota at least weekly. It would be nice to understand the reason the ship doesn't pop out of repair status on it's own.

Cheers,
Guy

Bullwinkle58 -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (9/1/2014 6:29:27 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: guytipton41

It would be nice to understand the reason the ship doesn't pop out of repair status on it's own.

I think it's because the transit from Pierside to Readiness takes three days, and once begun it can't be stopped. The code has no way of knowing if you're about to unload a bunch of naval support, or disband an AR in the base, both of which "pool" their repair points to help Pierside ships. IOW, they could "cross in the mail." In this case Pierside couldn't help any longer, but that would take another set of checks to determine, and it would still have ships moving without player interaction. In some, extreme cases, if flooding were very high, an auto-move to Readiness might cause the ship to sink in port, where it wouldn't in Pierside. I think of Pierside as a "stash" for very damaged ships.

rustysi -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (9/1/2014 8:47:41 PM)

Like the Moose said above. The only time a ship will 'pop out of repair status' automatically is when fully repaired.

geofflambert -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (9/2/2014 3:17:47 AM)

Slacker, your barbaress shortened your left sideburn a millimeter shorter than your right? And even so you have been completely replenished with fuel and torpedoes but you want to go back to Pearl for a toenail clipping? Refer back to R Lee Ermey for your performance review.

FeurerKrieg -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (9/3/2014 10:46:29 PM)

There is a notice in the ops report that tells you when a ship can't repair anymore, I usually glace this over to find the ships that need to be manually returned to readiness.

czert2 -> RE: Ship Repair: SS Drum (9/4/2014 9:43:39 PM)

well, i think any ship should be put automaticaly to readines status if can be longer repaired in these cases
a)this ship is no longer repaired for more than 3 days
b)total damage is less than 40 points.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI