CPU for best DW performance? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Shogouki -> CPU for best DW performance? (9/7/2014 9:50:13 PM)

Well my old PCs motherboard finally bit the dust and I'm looking to build a new PC. One thing that I really want to do is build a PC that runs DW really well and I was wondering what CPU would most excel at running DW? Would a faster quad-core (Like the Intel i7-4790K 4Ghz) work better than a higher core count but slower hexa-core CPU (Like the new Haswell-E i7-5930k 3.5Ghz) at running extremely large DW games? Thanks for any help!

silentdeth -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/8/2014 10:00:17 PM)

DW is not a particularly resource intensive game. My current game uses a little over 1 gig of ram and peaks at 14% CPU usage with a i7-2600K. You'd see a more noticeable improvement by using a SSD drive for the save game, and game files than between either of those CPUs.

Shogouki -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/16/2014 5:12:34 AM)

Yeah an SSD is definitely on my list as well, but I know on my previous PC 700 star system games would get ridiculously sluggish as the galaxy filled up and I want to be able to play 1400 star system games with as little slowdown as possible.

Rahal -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/16/2014 4:26:57 PM)

I'm getting one myself when I move later this year (my excuse).

A game like the forthcoming galciv iii (if you're interested in that one) may benefit from the extra cores since it will have multi-threaded ai. But I don't think DW does?

Other reason to choose the 4790k is: (1) it's a newer architecture (2) it has motherboards for micro atx & mini itx ** I'm not getting another mid/tower now I don't have to

--

Did some searching and looking at benchmarks; what it amounts to is this:

For single threaded apps: 4790k (4ghz 4cores) is ~30% faster than 5820k (3.3ghz 6cores)

For heavily multi-threaded (i.e. media-encoding): 5820k is ~15% faster than 4790k

So it's really not worth going for the haswell-e unless you're going to overclock.

Erik Rutins -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/16/2014 5:22:56 PM)

For DWU, my guess would be that the faster quad core would be the better choice, but both should have plenty of CPU power.

Shogouki -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/16/2014 8:51:49 PM)

Ok, thanks for the help! [:)]

Jeeves -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/28/2014 12:22:10 PM)

How about a link for what I should buy myself for Christmas? LOL, my 4 year old computer is taking too long to save files when I save a couple times per game day by year eight of a game...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Rahal -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/28/2014 8:33:54 PM)

I don't know where to suggest in the US :(

But advice - for a player of strategy games - would be to go for the fastest CPU you can rather than the usual suggestion for gamers which is to spend more on the graphic card.

Hunter20nov -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/30/2014 8:05:45 AM)

I bought a new PC last week. My old PC was a AMD 970BE 8 Gig Memmory. Late game on Large maps was not so good but only in very late games.

Now i Have Intel 4790k ( 4 GHZ ) and 16 Gig Memory now the Game is very very fast . In Late Game the games goes very well. No lag nothing in Vanilla Game.

Yesterday I testet the Performance with the Mod Beyond Extended Universe with 44 Empire Large Pirates and 15 x 15 with Starting Empire Old Empire. Every Empire have 3-8 Systems. I cheatet Money for testing(for me and 15 other Empire) and the game play 2 hours without me (all automatic) After i look and i have over 2500 State Ships over 1300 Private Ships and the game without lag.

Now i want bigger Galaxy ! [&o] 15x15 to small [:D]

Really good with the new PC now i can play without lags in late Games and large Games

(sry for bad english)

zakblood -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/30/2014 8:36:20 AM)

cpu and memory is one thing, as nobody has even mentioned vga etc, no good having good 2 part system with 3rd part letting it down, better to have a good all round system, quad core, 8gb ram and at least a 2gb dedicated video card thrown into the mix, I'd always go as well for a 64bit o/s as well[;)]

Hunter20nov -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/30/2014 10:10:05 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

cpu and memory is one thing, as nobody has even mentioned vga etc, no good having good 2 part system with 3rd part letting it down, better to have a good all round system, quad core, 8gb ram and at least a 2gb dedicated video card thrown into the mix, I'd always go as well for a 64bit o/s as well[;)]

I wrote nothing about the VGA Card because i think it is not important for this game. But i have the New MSI GTX 970. My Upgrade Kit was CPU(4790k,VGA Card 970 GTX Mainboard (Asus VII Ranger) Memory RAM DDR3 Kingston 1600 and a Noctua D15 FAN for the CPU. Rest was good enough 2 SSD one normal HDD and good power supply

I think one thing on my PC is also important for this game. I have install the game on SSD ( Samsung 840 EVO ).
But I donīt know if the game speed up with a SSD.[&:]

Rahal -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (9/30/2014 9:21:10 PM)

It should do since this game is constantly loading small files.

Now I look this seems to be a common feature of strategy games: DW is 12,000 files ... CK2 10,000 ... Civ V 13,000.

Compare that to action games which have a couple hundred files.

- Readyboost will probably help too for PCs without an SSD.

Jeeves -> RE: CPU for best DW performance? (10/1/2014 12:54:08 PM)

Thanks for the info! I'll look into it...

Lonnie Courtney Clay

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI