weapon accuracy (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

aZmoDen -> weapon accuracy (9/21/2014 10:04:31 AM)

I was wondering if anyone knew the weapon accuracy of laser weapons (shatterforce, titan beam etc) vs phasers.
It appears that the phaser beams are 100% accurate.
Is this right? or is weapon accuracy dictated by the accuracy/defense modules?

Aeson -> RE: weapon accuracy (9/21/2014 6:17:36 PM)

I don't believe anyone on the forum, aside perhaps from the developers, would know the answer to your question.

The only way that I can think of to answer this would be to conduct a series of tests using the editor where you spawn in stations and ships of varying sizes, speed, and targeting/countermeasures capability, each armed with a single weapon and set to engage in a certain way, to try to determine how engagement range, target size, target countermeasures, target speed, and attacker targeting affect weapon accuracy.

E.g. you would run a sequence of tests using a ship armed with a maxos blaster against targets A, B, C, D, E, etc, and record the number of hits and misses against each target. Target A would be, say, a size-200 station with no countermeasures, target B a size-200 station with countermeasures, target C a size-200 speed-10 turn-6 ship without countermeasures, target D a size-200 speed-10 turn-6 ship with countermeasures, target E a size-200 speed-10 turn-20 ship without countermeasures, etc. Then you'd repeat the same sequence of tests, except that your attacker will be equipped with a single maxos blaster and a targeting system, or will be equipped with a single phaser cannon or phaser lance instead of a single maxos blaster. You will also want to vary the engagement setting of the attacker to check, to the best of your ability, the range-dependency of weapon accuracy, as perhaps targeting bonuses matter more at 400 range (~= all weapons for a Phaser Lance III or Titan Beam III ship) than they do at 100 range (~= point blank), as well as the engagement stances of the target - two ships closing to point-blank at one another can conceivably have a different effect on weapon accuracy than one ship trying to close to point blank against a fleeing opponent attempting to maintain standoff range.

Without knowledge of the code, it is a fairly significant amount of work to gather the information necessary to accurately answer your question, and to the best of my knowledge no one has done anything like this yet. I wish you the best of luck in receiving a better answer, or in performing a study such as described above to determine what influences weapon accuracy.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI