Chinese Company Poly Technologies unveils a "Rocket Assisted Torpedo" system (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

xavierv -> Chinese Company Poly Technologies unveils a "Rocket Assisted Torpedo" system (9/22/2014 12:25:17 PM)

I was attending a defense trade show in South Africa last week where I stumbled upon this kinda strange concept/piece of kit:

Chinese Company Poly Technologies unveils a "Rocket Assisted Torpedo" system at AAD 2014
[image]http://i.imgur.com/WnCvDPr.jpg[/image]
quote:

At AAD 2014 (Africa Aerospace and Defence Exhibition which takes places from the 17 to 21 September at air force base waterkloof near Pretoria, in South Africa) Chinese company Poly Technologies unveils its "Rocket Assisted Torpedo system. Poly Technologies, a subsidiary of China Poly Group Corporation, is a defense manufacturing and international trading company.

Chinese Company Poly Technologies unveils a "Rocket Assisted Torpedo" system at AAD 2014

It is certainly too early to include it in the DB, but I am curious to see what you guys think of this concept.

Feltan -> RE: Chinese Company Poly Technologies unveils a "Rocket Assisted Torpedo" system (9/22/2014 1:49:54 PM)

Interesting that it is MRLS based.  Those MRLS platforms have a more distinct signature than simply a truck mounted launcher which would be more ubiquitous. 

A land based torpedo launcher would come into play in the Straits around Taiwan, or perhaps in the Northern Yellow Sea.  As an export item, it would have a market in any chokepoint or littoral area.

Also interesting, it is dependent on SOSUS-type sensors which begs the question of who has them and where.  Would China market the SOSUS sensor array along with this item?  It is at a trade show, so one would think that it is already destined for export.

Regards,
Feltan

mikeCK -> RE: Chinese Company Poly Technologies unveils a "Rocket Assisted Torpedo" system (9/22/2014 3:03:17 PM)

So it's another "area denial" system?

CV32 -> RE: Chinese Company Poly Technologies unveils a "Rocket Assisted Torpedo" system (9/22/2014 4:36:49 PM)

The most obvious problem is that it separates sensor and shooter. The helo (or fixed wing MPA) is being used to locate and track the target submarine, but is relying on a launcher that could be 100 km away in order to attack it. Better to simply have the aircraft carry the weapon. Seems like yet another solution to a problem that may not exist.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI