How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

GBS -> How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (9/23/2014 10:27:53 AM)

I asked this on the War Room forum. I am playing the "Falkland War " community scenario as UK. I plan a naval strike against an enemy CL with three Harriers with Paveways. They fly to the target and circle around it until Bingo then home. I later try a manual strike with the paveways and see that they are not available because they need "buddy illumination" first. I dont know how this is done in the game. It seems to me that in the initial three plane strike that one of the Harriers would illuminate the target automatically. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

hellfish6 -> RE: How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (9/23/2014 10:30:27 AM)

This is probably obvious, but at least one aircraft needs to have an illuminating laser equipped. If one does, the illum should be automatic. I've done it with MQ-9s and an allied Atlantique patrol aircraft before. Not sure about that scenario specifically.

Feltan -> RE: How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (9/23/2014 11:35:08 AM)

Another item to check is to ensure that EMCON allows the laser designator to illuminate. I made that mistake early on.

Regards,
Feltan

navwarcol -> RE: How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (9/23/2014 11:36:48 AM)

I can also add that in that scenario, quite often (hard to tell without a save in this particular iteration however) the weather prevents illumination as well. Being realistic is tricky in that way.
Cloud cover between your "illuminator" and the target will prevent it.

CV32 -> RE: How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (9/23/2014 11:58:47 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: GBS
It seems to me that in the initial three plane strike that one of the Harriers would illuminate the target automatically. Any help here is greatly appreciated.

Only if at least one of them happens to be carrying a targeting pod with a laser designator.

ojms -> RE: How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (9/23/2014 12:13:59 PM)

Hi,

The Harrier GR.3 doesn't have a laser or laser pod available:

http ://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=787

You would probably need to use special forces on the ground for the targeting.

CV32 -> RE: How to "buddy illuminate" (in game) (9/23/2014 12:32:31 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: ojms
Hi, The Harrier GR.3 doesn't have a laser or laser pod available:

http ://wiki.baloogancampaign.com/index.php/DataAircraft?ID=787

You would probably need to use special forces on the ground for the targeting.

The heart of the problem. [;)]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI