RE: Do we try to hard to drag old games along with us into the future? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

MrsWargamer -> RE: Do we try to hard to drag old games along with us into the future? (9/27/2014 11:55:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Great observations Mrs Wargamer... enjoying the thread.

Let me add this one... you have a game in your collection that you haven't gotten into yet, but then... then... the new and improved edition comes out. Example... Birth of America > Birth of America 2: Wars in America. Now do I just trash the original game (having wasted the money) or stubbornly insist on playing it to "get my money's worth"? How about the games that now have an "AE" edition? "Victoria" and "Victoria II"... Cross of Iron I, II, III, IV... Europa Universalis I, II, III, and now IV?

Sometimes the newer games are not arguably better, just different, so the older games are not obsolete.

Ah... the dilemma of being a game collector who buys everything in sight and then can't find the time to play more than a handful of them :( Sometimes I think I get more enjoyment out of the act of installation and updating and maintaining my collection than I ever get out of playing them. I religiously download and install every patch for every game that I have installed... I seek out mods and install them... all for a game that has never been played and probably never will be... totally insane behavior!

Deleting old games makes a lot of sense if you have the willpower to do so [&o]

It's a shame you are female like me :) If you were a guy it wouldn't be as vexing. Then I could be less bothered by our shared traits of reinstalling and updating, and fidgeting with games I have yet to even play. Sounds too much now like re arranging the damned furniture hehe :)

Which I do a lot of as well.

For a while I was telling myself 'oh I am just doing test installs to help with telling people what might be needed who have recently bought the game'. Then I realize that is not really honestly the case, I'm just being fussy.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Do we try to hard to drag old games along with us into the future? (9/27/2014 9:33:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MrsWargamer

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

Great observations Mrs Wargamer... enjoying the thread.

Let me add this one... you have a game in your collection that you haven't gotten into yet, but then... then... the new and improved edition comes out. Example... Birth of America > Birth of America 2: Wars in America. Now do I just trash the original game (having wasted the money) or stubbornly insist on playing it to "get my money's worth"? How about the games that now have an "AE" edition? "Victoria" and "Victoria II"... Cross of Iron I, II, III, IV... Europa Universalis I, II, III, and now IV?

Sometimes the newer games are not arguably better, just different, so the older games are not obsolete.

Ah... the dilemma of being a game collector who buys everything in sight and then can't find the time to play more than a handful of them :( Sometimes I think I get more enjoyment out of the act of installation and updating and maintaining my collection than I ever get out of playing them. I religiously download and install every patch for every game that I have installed... I seek out mods and install them... all for a game that has never been played and probably never will be... totally insane behavior!

Deleting old games makes a lot of sense if you have the willpower to do so [&o]

It's a shame you are female like me :) If you were a guy it wouldn't be as vexing. Then I could be less bothered by our shared traits of reinstalling and updating, and fidgeting with games I have yet to even play. Sounds too much now like re arranging the damned furniture hehe :)

Which I do a lot of as well.

For a while I was telling myself 'oh I am just doing test installs to help with telling people what might be needed who have recently bought the game'. Then I realize that is not really honestly the case, I'm just being fussy.

Right on! [&o]

It's all good mental exercise to keep old age dementia at bay
[:D]

rhondabrwn -> RE: Do we try to hard to drag old games along with us into the future? (9/27/2014 9:44:18 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

Wouldn't you just love though to see a computer version of "Feudal"? My 2nd ex and I used to play that all the time. Loved the minatures aspect of it and the chesslike play, it was actually made for chesslike play and not really any kind of wargame although it presented itself in a medieval atmosphere. Great game. I can't believe no one has ever converted it to pc. Course I can't believe a lot of good games that are boardgames haven't been converted to the pc like American Heritage games. I've wanted a "DogFight" conversion for years and "Broadsides" was a lot of fun too. Even "BattleCry" was pretty good but I didn't play it as much as the other two. I never had "Hit the Beach" though.

Ah yes, some of my all time favorites! I had "Feudal" in my classroom and the kids loved playing it (though I lost some pieces to theft). It would make a good computer game.

"Broadside" was always fun and that would also make a great casual computer game, especially for tablets.

"Dogfight" does have some similar computer games out there. Look into Sid Miers "Ace Patrol" which sounds a lot like "Dogfight" to me. It's inexpensive as well and there is a WWII Pacific version.

Ace Patrol

geozero -> RE: Do we try to hard to drag old games along with us into the future? (9/27/2014 10:19:06 PM)

I remember Broadside and Dogfight games. They were a lot of fun.

I have Ace Patrol and it is quite fun and yes very much in the vein of the Dogfight boardgame.

These games are simple... and that means you will likely play many hours. I look at cost vs. enjoyment. My rule of thumb has changed with inflation, but the way I look at it is entertainment is worth about $8-$10 per hour (length of a theater movie's cost, or an 8-10 hour stay at an amusement park, etc.). Anyway if a game costs $30 I should get at LEAST 3 hours of play and fun out of it. If I get more it was a good investment. If I get less than it is a dud.

And there is where you can judge a game to see if it is good or bad.

With ASL it can take hours to set up, hours to argue and only a few minutes of actual play. That in my book is NOT FUN.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI