Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

wings7 -> Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/2/2014 6:35:03 PM)

Any official news yet? I hope so! [:)]

Patrick

rhondabrwn -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/2/2014 7:16:47 PM)

Saw a claim that Windows 10 "will run on anything" which implies that backwards compatibility is a major objective to win people over and recover from the Windows 8 disaster. That's a smart move, if true. They need everyone to get on board with Win X and that isn't going to happen if there are hardware and software incompatibilities.

If they do it right, I might be swayed to upgrade... might.... [:D]

parusski -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/2/2014 8:10:04 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wings7

Patrick

I just installed Windows 10 a few hours ago but have not had the chance to do anything with it yet. I do believe we will have no problems with Matrix games.

rhondabrwn -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/2/2014 9:36:43 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: parusski

quote:

Patrick

I just installed Windows 10 a few hours ago but have not had the chance to do anything with it yet. I do believe we will have no problems with Matrix games.

Can you install over Windows 7 without having to reinstall everything?

The beta preview of Windows 7 that I installed required me to do a clean install of the release version once they deactivated the review copy. Same deal on this preview?

Joe D. -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/2/2014 11:30:11 PM)

quote:

quote:

Patrick

Did you upgrade from another OS?
If so, which one?

Qwixt -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 12:09:16 AM)

Windows X does appear to run on everything. I installed it on my toaster. Now it takes twice as long to make toast, and I can't find the start button.

wodin -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 12:19:12 AM)

I think it's abit early yet for Slitherine to know this. However from what I've read it looks like 10 will be much better than 8. Always the way though..a poor release followed by a great one.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 2:28:17 AM)

I am not going to say I 'love' Windows 8, but, it runs all the stuff I want it to run, it runs stuff I didn't think would ever run again.

All the touch screen stupidity is easy to ignore, so I think the only people suffering are the people at MS that made it. Clearly they simply dropped the ball.

Well actually, I think they missed the bus on the tablet game, and probably should have been shilling a FULL Windows using tablet instead of this 'no-one-needs-it-OS'.
Maybe in 2 years touch screen using PCs will be present in enough numbers to matter, but, it seems like a function made for a machine that can't use it. Well my laptop is not about to be replaced, and it can't really use Windows 8 for all the stuff it was made for.

But I got it for 16 bucks.

If they release this Windows 10 and my laptop is not even close to needing to be replaced, it simply won't matter much to me what is said about it (Windows 10). Unless I find a way to obtain it that doesn't involve the usual wallet ransacking. 100 bucks for an OS? Yeah right, not on my watch.

Gilmer -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 2:32:56 AM)

Windows 10 is already out? Damn, Win 8 must have been a complete disaster?

Stvitus2002 -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 3:57:29 AM)

I have had 8.1 for 4 months. Have to say,once set up properly it runs everything i have.
It does have the ability to run programs in Win7 compatibility mode,for those who
have problems. Older games like SPWAW work OK. I did have to disable ONEDRIVE,
which is a cloud based app, due to some odd errors. Like others have said, you can boot right to desktop and avoid the tiles screen.

I am guessing 10 will not be radically different from 8.

WO 0/0

IainMcNeil -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 11:37:53 AM)

We haven't had time to get any systems set up for Windows 10 yet, but from what we know its unlikely to cause issues.

MrsWargamer -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 12:44:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: H Gilmer

I am thinking Windows 8 is likely best described as an Edsel.

uncc -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 3:52:30 PM)

For those looking to try out the Windows 10 preview, make sure you know what you're getting into...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2373838/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-permission-to-watch-your-every-move

Here are just a couple interesting bits from the the privacy policy you agree to:

We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.

If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

parusski -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 4:35:25 PM)

quote:

No, I have the Windows 10 preview version.

parusski -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 4:37:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: rhondabrwn

quote:

quote:

Patrick

Can you install over Windows 7 without having to reinstall everything?

The beta preview of Windows 7 that I installed required me to do a clean install of the release version once they deactivated the review copy. Same deal on this preview?

I do multi-boot, with Windows 10 installed on a separate hard-drive.

uncc

quote:

For those looking to try out the Windows 10 preview, make sure you know what you're getting into...

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2373838/microsofts-windows-10-preview-has-permission-to-watch-your-every-move

Here are just a couple interesting bits from the the privacy policy you agree to:

We may collect information about your device and applications and use it for purposes such as determining or improving compatibility" and use voice input features like speech-to-text, we may collect voice information and use it for purposes such as improving speech processing.

If you open a file, we may collect information about the file, the application used to open the file, and how long it takes any use [of] it for purposes such as improving performance, or [if you] enter text, we may collect typed characters, we may collect typed characters and use them for purposes such as improving autocomplete and spellcheck features.

Yes, but Windows 10 is an "insider" preview. It does ask for user feedback and has private forums for talking about issues with MS engineers. So they point out they are asking for a lot of info. I have no problem with the data collection.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/3/2014 8:30:33 PM)

I'm still running Vista 64 and I won't upgrade to another WIN OS until I have to. It's just another money grab by microsoft and most things still run on WinXP so I see no reason to upgrade unless one just plays too many fps that require a lot of memory for graphics. Wargames the kind I really like should never need that kind of power. I have friends running newer wargames of the boardgame type on old systems that date back as far as 2004.

Where the problems would come in with a newer OS are things like this net.framework or this Visual C + + they have been adding over the last few years. They run as of now ok on Vista 64's I'm not sure what the new products will have to have where these programs are concerned. Why is net.framework or visual c+ + even needed? They were never needed on wargames before up until that time Matrix started using them?

Gilmer -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/4/2014 5:34:53 PM)

quote:

quote:

No, I have the Windows 10 preview version.

Ahh, Good Deal.

IainMcNeil -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/6/2014 4:38:58 PM)

We have the Win 10 beta now so will do a few quick checks. We wont do anything substantial till they lock the version or its all wasted effort! :)

Qwixt -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/6/2014 6:04:32 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

I'm still running Vista 64 and I won't upgrade to another WIN OS until I have to. It's just another money grab by microsoft and most things still run on WinXP so I see no reason to upgrade unless one just plays too many fps that require a lot of memory for graphics. Wargames the kind I really like should never need that kind of power. I have friends running newer wargames of the boardgame type on old systems that date back as far as 2004.

Where the problems would come in with a newer OS are things like this net.framework or this Visual C + + they have been adding over the last few years. They run as of now ok on Vista 64's I'm not sure what the new products will have to have where these programs are concerned. Why is net.framework or visual c+ + even needed? They were never needed on wargames before up until that time Matrix started using them?

C++ libraries are needed because some (more likely most windows games) are written in Visual Studio C++. In the past (like win 3.0 to win xp), you did have those support DLLs on your system, and it wreaked havoc on your system when updating because they would commonly use the same name in the real early days. Eventually, MS gravitated to this MS C++ 2005, 2008, 2010,... runtime libraries where you can have multiple version of them even.

So the reason you have those visual C++ requirements now is because the dev tools from MS have evolved that way, and developers are using those tools.

The .NET requirement is probably because of the launcher, which I am sure everyone here has seen at this point. I suspect it is written using .NET. The reason to use .NET for something like that is because it's very easy to use a web browser control in it, and it's easy/simple to write. Also, some games are written using .NET instead of C++, and those games would require .NET installed.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/6/2014 9:40:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

C++ libraries are needed because some (more likely most windows games) are written in Visual Studio C++. In the past (like win 3.0 to win xp), you did have those support DLLs on your system, and it wreaked havoc on your system when updating because they would commonly use the same name in the real early days. Eventually, MS gravitated to this MS C++ 2005, 2008, 2010,... runtime libraries where you can have multiple version of them even.

So the reason you have those visual C++ requirements now is because the dev tools from MS have evolved that way, and developers are using those tools.

The .NET requirement is probably because of the launcher, which I am sure everyone here has seen at this point. I suspect it is written using .NET. The reason to use .NET for something like that is because it's very easy to use a web browser control in it, and it's easy/simple to write. Also, some games are written using .NET instead of C++, and those games would require .NET installed.

Ok my question is do I need to keep every single one of those from 2005, 2008 and 2010? I have jillions of those files in my programs and features folder and most of them are updates. So do I really need to keep all of them taking up valuable drive space? I had one that I deleted anyways because it was like 3gigs of a file size and that's just too ridiculous for any file of that type I think not for one silly game? So far it hasn't caused any game crashes so I guess it wasn't really needed afterall. But, I still wonder about all the many others. They are all visual C + + files just different dates installed and of course different times.

Net.framework is basically the same way. I have some 3.0 files and some 4.0 files. Do I really need to keep "all" of them? What happens if I delete all but one? If a game doesn't run I can just reinstall it right?

Qwixt -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/6/2014 10:47:18 PM)

I always keep the highest version number for VC C++ runtime libs 2005, 2008, 2010, and 2012. I use windows uninstall to remove older versions when a game installs an old version.

I am by no means a .NET expert in keeping up with MS changes. I think you only need .NET 4.5 which should be compatible and handle older versions. .NET 1.1 might be a special case, but that version was deprecated. I only have .NET 4.51 installed right now on my machine. I believe .NET 4.5 does create framework directory under \windows for the older versions, which you should not touch.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/6/2014 11:10:10 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Qwixt

I always keep the highest version number for VC C++ runtime libs 2005, 2008, 2010, and 2012. I use windows uninstall to remove older versions when a game installs an old version.

I am by no means a .NET expert in keeping up with MS changes. I think you only need .NET 4.5 which should be compatible and handle older versions. .NET 1.1 might be a special case, but that version was deprecated. I only have .NET 4.51 installed right now on my machine. I believe .NET 4.5 does create framework directory under \windows for the older versions, which you should not touch.

K, thanks. I'll do some testing and like I said if a game starts to crash or won't load I can just reinstall it right? It should reinstall any old files I had deleted during the process. My computer needs a good clean sweep anyways. I wish temporary internet files would delete when the browser is closed like it says it will do in the advanced setup but most of them still remain when I close the browser and don't delete until I reboot the system.

Qwixt -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/7/2014 12:09:25 AM)

Assuming you have a 64-bit windows versions, you will need to keep two copies the MS C++ libs, x86 (or blank) and x64 runtime versions as each of them are different. x86 is the 32 bit version and x64 is the 64 bit version.

Like right now I am uninstalling MS Visual C++ 2005 Redistrib version 8.0.56336, since the latest version is 8.0.61001, or the highest version on my computer anyway.

If you do notice problems, and you can always run the install for the game MSVC redistrib and it will install again. Just about every game installs an old version it seems. I uninstall older versions because I have seen problems in a couple games with multiple older versions out there.

parusski -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/7/2014 2:10:49 AM)

So far I have installed and played these games on Windows 10:

GG War in the West
Panzer Corps
Civil War 2
War in the East
Battle Academy 1 and 2
Decisive Campaigns: Case Blue and Warsaw to Paris
Forge of Freedom

Steel Panthers World at War: Generals Edition--works with no problem

Commander Europe at War

Orm -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/7/2014 3:50:12 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: uncc

Thank you for sharing.

I find this article interesting as well.

http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/news/2372886/parents-will-sell-their-kids-for-free-wifi

JosephM -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/8/2014 11:15:59 AM)

Hello All,

I just thought I'd update you all on what we have done in house. I've tested a number of our games, both old and new and from a variety of game engines and there are no issues yet. Also, the version is only a preview, so things may change and things we have tested may stop working at release.

However, Windows 10 superficially seems to be Windows 8 with a Windows 7 skin (obviously there are changes under the hood), so we don't see many problems anyway. Also, any games which are supported with developers then we will be able to get them patched and working anyway, as we always try to support the games where possible.

parusski -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/8/2014 12:00:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Joseph M

Hello All,

I just thought I'd update you all on what we have done in house. I've tested a number of our games, both old and new and from a variety of game engines and there are no issues yet. Also, the version is only a preview, so things may change and things we have tested may stop working at release.

However, Windows 10 superficially seems to be Windows 8 with a Windows 7 skin (obviously there are changes under the hood), so we don't see many problems anyway. Also, any games which are supported with developers then we will be able to get them patched and working anyway, as we always try to support the games where possible.

I have now installed 33 of the Matrix games I own and they work fine.

cpdeyoung -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/8/2014 12:06:00 PM)

The new OS is different, with a much more generous approach to multiple windows.

Advanced Tactics Gold works fine.

Chuck

zakblood -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/12/2014 11:39:53 AM)

testing my back catalogue atm build 6.4.9841.0 / or 9841 for those that have used previous beta's of windows 10...

no problems so far also testing MS DX 12 early access...

will amend and post finding as soon as it's complete unless a newer build comes out before it's done, as it's not a high priority tbh as there's plenty of time before it's RC1

wings7 -> RE: Win 10 compatibility with Matrix games - any news? (10/12/2014 1:35:49 PM)

All the early indicators look good [:)], I guess we'll have to wait for the final release!

Patrick

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI