dotted, red lines - Fleet Postures (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

kuertee -> dotted, red lines - Fleet Postures (11/11/2014 10:58:10 AM)

I decided to spend all weekend (from Friday to Monday) to truly learn how to play DW. I always knew what to do, which buttons to press, which menus to open, etc. But I never knew how to approach the game - mind-set wise. Now, I do. :)

Anyway, back to these dotted, red lines. I know there's been several discussions about this already, but it's still doing my head in. I need some help.

Here are the previous discussions. BUT before you go read them, continue on with my post, please.
Copy this URL and replace "dot"s with "."s.:
www dot matrixgames dot com/forums/searchpro.asp?phrase=What+is+this%3F+%28Heavy+dotted+red+line%29&criteria=OR&forumid=782&topicreply=topic&message=both&timefilter=0&top=10

These dotted, red lines are not attack vectors as suggested by others in those previous discussions. Attack vectors look similar. They appear as guide lines that fleets follow - like how these red lines appear.

I believe that they are NOT attack vectors because (1) they don't originate from ships. They originate from colonies. They would probably originate from other construction sites, but I've not seen them. (2) They don't disappear after the fleet is destroyed. And (3), the line continues behind the fleet back to their launch site - unlike attack vectors which actually originate from the fleet.

These dotted, red lines are Fleet Postures. They become invisible when "Show Fleet Postures" in the UI at the bottom right of the screen is off.

The main problem with them is:
All manufactured ships that are assigned to a fleet with a home base that have these red lines automatically follow them once all the ships in that fleet is built EVEN WHEN all my fleet control options are set to manual - i.e. in both Options and Empire Policy and Automation.

My questions are:
(1) How do I disable them once they appear
(2) How do I stop them from appearing?
(3) Basically, how do I manually control this? For example, when I actually do want all fleets to automatically move to or attack a target.

Spacecadet -> RE: dotted, red lines - Fleet Postures (11/13/2014 1:20:23 AM)

I believe you have bit of confusion on these if I'm understanding correctly.

If you're talking about this thread :

http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/tm.asp?m=3066540&mpage=1&key=Heavy%2C%2Bdotted%2C%2Bred%2C%2Bline�

In this particular case, yes it's essentially an Attack Vector.
That's just a short, specific situation answer though.

Better explanation :

Red Vectors are incoming ships, they don't have to be on Attack.
These lines may have a different weighting than attack Vectors, I don't recall right off.

An example of a simple way to see how this works would be to be select a Colony/Spaceport (most likely Spaceport) that needs some resources.
Go max out zoom, then zoom in to where your Freighters just show up - this will allow you to see a larger area of the Galaxy.
Stay at this zoom level, and as you move around (keep the selected Base on screen) you should see some Red lines of incoming Freighter(s) to supply this Base.

This essentially works for Constructors, as well as other items I believe (Mines, Refueling, and so forth)

1 - If they are incoming Private ships (Freighter, Mining ships, or Passenger) the Red line will disappear when those ships no longer display at the zoom level.
2 - There may be a setting in the Policy or Options area for this, I've never worried about them.
3 - Now you're talking about Fleet Posture, and that's a whole other story.

Fleet Posture is controlled by the lower left Window tabs when you have a Fleet selected.
There should be setting for Attack/Defend/Protect(?), and various Ranges.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI