Floodgate control (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> Floodgate control (3/3/2003 3:22:56 AM)

While I am loathe to suggest that Matrix doesn't have the best forums software under the sun, is it possible to add or incorporate "floodcontrol" or whatever the industry calls it to the site.

This would quite frankly be a good thing for at least attempting to eleviate some of what appears to be a current hassle for Matrix Games.

Raverdave -> (3/3/2003 10:10:36 AM)

Yup, that sounds like a fair idea. These spamers are getting to be a right pain the arse.

Voriax -> (3/5/2003 3:32:52 AM)

Perhaps the registration process needs to be a delayed one. Say, a moderator checks if the supplied information is correct before activating the username. Spammers like the recent couple examples usually have so obviously bogus email addresses that this method might keep them out..and they probably don't have the patience to wait for several hours before allowed to post.

Voriax

Grok -> (3/5/2003 3:42:23 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Voriax
[B]Perhaps the registration process needs to be a delayed one. Say, a moderator checks if the supplied information is correct before activating the username. Spammers like the recent couple examples usually have so obviously bogus email addresses that this method might keep them out..and they probably don't have the patience to wait for several hours before allowed to post.

Voriax [/B][/QUOTE]

Any action taken to prevent spamming, can't be bad. Your idea is worth a try if no other viable options are readily available. Now, who's the lucky admin/mod that gets that venerable job? heh

Paul Vebber -> (3/5/2003 4:10:52 AM)

I'm not sure if it will delay the bots some are using, but the time betweeen posts has been increased from 15 sec to 1 min.

U2 -> (3/5/2003 4:16:01 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Paul Vebber
[B]I'm not sure if it will delay the bots some are using, but the time betweeen posts has been increased from 15 sec to 1 min. [/B][/QUOTE]

15 sec to 1 min? I always used to see my post directly after posting it...maybe the others had to wait 15 sec to see it? BTW I think it is a good idea to increase this time like you have done.

EDIT: OK BETWEEN posts...I understand now..doh!:)

Cheers
Dan

Marc von Martial -> (3/5/2003 4:36:00 AM)

The forum software wants the user to confirm his email, we set that from the very beginning, all that registered here legally should now the procedure. Flood control is on and was allways. This forum software is indeed one of the best (if not the) around there and itīs running on the latest version too.

However if somebody is programming something like a bot for spamming the boards, Iīm pretty sure he getīs around the email confirmation and flood controll too ;). Thereīs only so much you can do against hackers.

Ross Moorhouse -> (3/5/2003 5:37:57 AM)

These people are also hacking into servers to get access to the net as I have traced them to both the USA and the Mid East using the same log in name. They are banned now.

CCB -> (3/5/2003 6:51:10 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Ross Moorhouse
[B]These people are also hacking into servers to get access to the net as I have traced them to both the USA and the Mid East using the same log in name. They are banned now. [/B][/QUOTE]

Al Qeada?? :eek:

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI