Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - New Link 8-2020 (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> The War Room

Bamilus -> Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - New Link 8-2020 (1/7/2015 2:07:56 AM)

Hey all,

I've been loving this game (and WITE) and after going through hundreds of threads in the WITW forums I have compiled what I consider to be the most helpful responses. The manual and the Players Guide is amazing. This is not meant to replace them but to supplement them, as often I know us newer players struggle with the bigger (what do I do next?) questions after we have mastered the (what is this?) questions.

***IF YOU ARE BRAND NEW TO WITW/WITE, PLEASE DO NOT USE THIS GUIDE UNTIL YOU HAVE PLAYED SOME SCENARIOS, WATCHED THE TUTORIAL VIDEOS, AND READ THE MANUAL***

If you do not have a good grasp of most of the game's concepts and how they work then this guide will be ineffective in helping you and will only cause confusion. Please only download once you have a good foundation. The purpose of the guide is to expand and give direction to players who are acquainted with the game.

A couple notes:

1) The guide is in .pdf format so use Foxit reader if you dont have a PDF reader (its free)

3) There are three main sections - A) helpful manual excerpts (under construction) B) helpful patch note changes so we can stay updated on things that differ from the manual C) the helpful posts sorted by area. There is some overlap with the areas so I had to make a judgment call on where to put things.

Without further ado, here is the link (link updated 8-11-2020 but no new content, sorry)): https://www.dropbox.com/s/95n21h007ehx3lm/WITW%20Tips%201-7%20Updated.pdf?dl=0

Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I had putting it together and thank you to everyone who posts here for being extremely helpful!

Dante Fierro -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) (1/7/2015 2:15:40 AM)

This sounds like a great idea! Will check it out. Thx.

Zenra -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) (1/7/2015 2:18:13 AM)

Wow - amazing initiative and effort here! I have not picked it apart yet - I am sure others will have things to add and comment on - but just wanted to be among the first to thank you for such a guide. Players like me new to a game as complex as GG WitW can use all the help we can get!

MisterBoats -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) (1/7/2015 2:22:36 AM)

Thank you! I am reading it now, and it is very helpful. I appreciate your effort.

marion61 -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) (1/7/2015 3:21:04 AM)

This is way helpful brother![&o]

I'd like to add an update or two if you don't mind.

1. "I set Strategic AF, Tactical, and Coastal AF's to do naval patrols in my landing areas on turn one to get sea control for next turn." Personally I don't set the naval patrols for the area until the turn I hit the invade button. This kind of gives away where your landing. I also use this to make opponents think I'm landing somewhere, so you can use your naval patrols to keep them guessing.

2. When setting your morale for your pilots, resting them. 50 is probably the lowest I will go, and then only during an air campaign. Normal operations I've found "a sweet spot" for the morale, which is 70. More planes fly every turn, and my operational losses went down significantly.

Bamilus -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) (1/7/2015 3:33:34 AM)

Certainly. If you or anyone has any ideas on the best way to organize and set this yup to work collaboratively so it's easier for people to make edits then I'll try and make it happen. Maybe a wiki or something but I don't have any experience setting one up. Otherwise any suggestions or items that you'd like added just let me know and I'll make sure to incorporate.

You might notice many of the posts are familiar...you've posted some really helpful stuff over the past few months and it's really helped me appreciate the game so I want to thank you for that!

EDIT: Just saw your edit. I'll incorporate this in my next version.

Bamilus -> Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 4:19:09 AM)

N/t

Radagy -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 7:01:26 AM)

Great work so far. Thanks

Remmes -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 8:02:43 AM)

Very helpful, thanks a lot!

Balou -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 9:01:22 AM)

Hoping this is going to be updated. Very helpful, thanks.

tombo -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 9:41:50 AM)

+1
thanks much and Well done!

cheers.

Nico165b165 -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 10:49:01 AM)

Very great idea, thank you for the work !

One idea to make this easier and permit other people to contribute directly : set up a wiki to host the content.

Commanderski -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 12:15:35 PM)

Thank you! [&o][&o][&o]

Bamilus -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 2:10:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Balou

Hoping this is going to be updated. Very helpful, thanks.

Indeed. I already have three additions I will make for the next version and I hope to try and improve the format somehow but I'm always open for suggestions.

As for the wiki, unfortunately I'm sure it's decently simple to set up but I'm not familiar with it at all so if someone wants to help with that then I will try and make it happen.

Also, in the next update I will have helpful manual excerpts. The manual is awesome but there are some key excerpts that I think are really poignant and having them all in one area would be helpful, I think (but let me know if you don't think so).

jhdeerslayer -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 2:20:45 PM)

Wow this is sweet. Thanks!

Gettysburg -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 2:42:24 PM)

Thank you for this good work[&o][&o][&o]

Nico165b165 -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 2:55:07 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Bamilus

As for the wiki, unfortunately I'm sure it's decently simple to set up but I'm not familiar with it at all so if someone wants to help with that then I will try and make it happen.

I know how to set up one and use it. Only thing missing is a hosting. I'll take a look at possible alternatives this week-end.

Bamilus -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 3:05:47 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Nico165

quote:

I know how to set up one and use it. Only thing missing is a hosting. I'll take a look at possible alternatives this week-end.

Awesome. Please PM me and we can work together on a solution. I have no problem helping financially if that is required.

morganbj -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 4:13:19 PM)

There's a couple of ideas here that I didn't see in your document. Apologies if this has been provided already.

Bamilus -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 4:17:51 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: bjmorgan

There's a couple of ideas here that I didn't see in your document. Apologies if this has been provided already.

I saw it but decided not to include. I'll add it for next version. Thanks for the comment!

Bamilus -> RE: Grand Rapids (1/7/2015 4:33:08 PM)

Hate to double post but new updated version in OP. Will add more manual excerpts and hope to have that by this weekend. I changed formatting and added some spacing for clarity. New posts were added and they will be at the bottom of the appropriate sections. Thanks for the continued comments.

jnpoint -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/7/2015 8:24:35 PM)

quote:

Hey all,

I've been loving this game (and WITE) and after going through hundreds of threads in the WITW forums I have compiled what I consider to be the most helpful responses. The manual and the Players Guide is amazing. This is not meant to replace them but to supplement them, as often I know us newer players struggle with the bigger (what do I do next?) questions after we have mastered the (what is this?) questions. A couple notes:

1) The guide is in .pdf format so use Foxit reader if you dont have a PDF reader (its free)
2) I'm going to try and keep it updated weekly, but we'll see what happens
3) There are three main sections - A) helpful manual excerpts (under construction) B) helpful patch note changes so we can stay updated on things that differ from the manual C) the helpful posts sorted by area. There is some overlap with the areas so I had to make a judgment call on where to put things.
4) I put a disclaimer at the top that I'm taking zero credit for anything in the guide. I made an effort to put the actual thread link for each post/excerpt and I noted in italics for language that is mine which was added for clarity and understanding. If you see something in here that you posted and do not wish it to be in this guide then please PM me and I will remove it and will refrain from using your posts in the future.
5) I'm a CPA by trade so naturally organizing and making things look pretty isn't always my strong suit. If anybody wants to help with this project in any way, whether it be formatting, putting this into a website/wiki, ideas to make it better, tips they want added, then please PM me!
6) I tried to find what I considered to be the most helpful posts. Obviously this is subjective. If you see something that is blatantly wrong or overall unhelpful, please let me know and I will review for deletion.

Without further ado, here is the link (updated 1-7-2015): https://www.dropbox.com/s/a2bg6z9eov7atbp/WITW%20Tips%201-7%20Updated.pdf?dl=0

Hope you enjoy reading this as much as I had putting it together and thank you to everyone who posts here for being extremely helpful!

-Bam

WOW - what an effort. I almost want to play again.

marion61 -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/7/2015 8:40:26 PM)

Your not playing?

FroBodine -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/7/2015 9:43:31 PM)

Excellent, excellent work. This should be stickied!

Banori -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/8/2015 8:46:08 AM)

thanks for your hints.

RedLancer -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/8/2015 9:45:01 AM)

I have pinned this on the main page for the time being - at somepoint it will get moved to the War Room.

GBS -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/8/2015 11:36:09 AM)

You are a fine man for doing this.

henri51 -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/9/2015 10:13:25 PM)

This is very useful, but it is important to be very clear in recommendations. For example, the following sentence is unclear: "...Also, it is essential as allies to have air support in order to dig out
the Axis defenders, so up in step one, be sure you have ground support for an Air HQ (I usually use the tactical air forces primarily for this feature) to support your attacks. Attacking without this is suicide."

Why would an Air HQ need ground support? Does it really mean "Make sure that ALL (or one?) Air HQ missions are set to ground support"? Or something else? (I have not played yet and am still reading, so I am not familiar with all details).

Baelfiin -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/9/2015 11:10:24 PM)

means ground support directive I think

Bamilus -> RE: Consolidated Tips and Tricks (PDF) - 1/7 Update (1/10/2015 12:08:14 AM)

That is why I linked the threads, in case you had further questions on context. Unfortunately I personally didn't write any of these posts and I'm not good enough to be in a position to give advice so if you have further questions I'd recommend asking then on the main forum.

EDIT: I really recommend you play the game, watch the tutorial videos, and read the manual first. If you haven't played the game then a lot of my guide won't make sense.

Page: [1] 2   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI