I am merely paranoid and of course concerned (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> I am merely paranoid and of course concerned (3/5/2003 5:23:09 AM)

Ok I know so little about some matters.

So I am asking this knowing some of the forum are fairly knowledgable.

Is it possible one of the forum (that being us), is possibly responsible in some unfortunate way (for these current spam hosers) much as email viruses often spread by unwitting user actions?

All I know, is if it was me, man I would feel like crapola.

But I have no understanding of the processes by which these spammers are hitting the site. And this is the first time I have ever encountered such a thing on a forum.

So of course the question is "why Matrix?".

U2 -> Re: I am merely paranoid and of course concerned (3/5/2003 5:38:37 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Les the Sarge 9-1
[B]
So of course the question is "why Matrix?". [/B][/QUOTE]

Are you somehow thinking about Matrix as a publisher of wargames as a reason for this person for attacking the site? Might be so....some people don't get or understand wargaming or wargamers at all....ignorance

Cheers
Dan

Grok -> Re: I am merely paranoid and of course concerned (3/5/2003 6:41:22 AM)

[B]Ok I know so little about some matters.

Is it possible one of the forum (that being us), is possibly responsible in some unfortunate way (for these current spam hosers) much as email viruses often spread by unwitting user actions?

But I have no understanding of the processes by which these spammers are hitting the site. And this is the first time I have ever encountered such a thing on a forum.

I hope you didn't get this from my other post. If you did, I do apologize. I wasn't implying that any Matrix forum member was responsible, directly or indirectly for the spamming. It was meant more along the lines of the spam occuring in conjunction with a member posting. The spam bots may appear when forum traffic is higher vs when it's lower. That's all I meant.

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (3/5/2003 6:52:35 AM)

No I am not worried that you might have implied it might have been one of us. But to my unknowing self, I wonder if it could be one of dragging in some crud from cyber space unwittingly.

Veldor -> (3/5/2003 7:46:58 AM)

The answer is no. The SPAM is being posted under a newly created account not yours or someone elses.

They may have an automated way to create accounts, or maybe do that part manually and then use a bot to post.

If it were anything else it would be "hijacking" your account and the posts would show up as you.

There is no way that you or anyone else here is responsible for it.

At best its your fault because you posted links to this site all over the darn place and that's how the spammers found this "active" forum site.

Even then its not really your fault :)

Anyone care to disagree??

brent_2 -> (3/5/2003 9:28:42 AM)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Veldor
[B]Anyone care to disagree?? [/B][/QUOTE]

ordinarily I probably would, but I took my medication tonight :p :D

Reiryc -> Re: I am merely paranoid and of course concerned (3/5/2003 2:22:23 PM)

[B]Ok I know so little about some matters.

Well I just ran a scan on your computer les....

Come to find out it's you. I must hereby recommend you no longer post here as you bring spamming and a host of other viruses....:D

take care and good luck in your new endeavors!

:p

Reiryc

Les_the_Sarge_9_1 -> (3/5/2003 9:04:27 PM)

Nice try Reiryc, but we all know you are the sort that would deliberately do something like masquerade as me (and we know you can do it), and then perpertrate such a horrible deed, confident that no one would accept it was me (because we all know I am as pure as the driven snow, or least the snow 50 feet from the sled dogs).

We all can see your twisted plot for what it is:D

Karnaaj -> (3/9/2003 5:10:25 AM)

[B] (because we all know I am as pure as the driven snow, or least the snow 50 feet from the sled dogs).[/B][/QUOTE]

Huh. Myself, I've never driven snow... driven *through* one helluva lot of it, though.

Anyway, based on what I'm seeing from waaay behind-the facts (IE, "last-post" notes but no posts), said yohos may or may not be using a bot of some sort - not sure how long it would take to "reply" with a paste-job - but it's off newly created ("disposable") accounts. From what little I've seen about the content (Charles-22's replies in the "Military Music Bonaza" thread)(I think), it's your basic weasel-deal: spammer found (or heard of) a moderately-trafficked forum that appeared to be vulnerable, and started p!$$ing on the furniture.

*Very* low probability it's some kind of "anti-war" statement, or because we're wargamers or whatever; the vast majority of attacks of that sort will go to the trouble of trying to stuff their message down your throat. (A certain percentage of *those* attacks are false-flag ("black") operations designed to besmirch the reputation/cause of the claimed actors. Be suspicious, unless it's blatantly logical, like PETA screwing with the Butterball Turkey Hotline. PETA is much less likely to spread their message on the Ford Apache Pickup Truck Restoration forum, tho...)

Ah well. It sucks, but has been a useful drill for that off-chance that someone with a real agenda *does* attack these forums... oh, that's another identifier - spammers will hit-and-run, usually, unless they're p!$$ed-off; "agenda" types are likely to flood, repetitively attack, or even hand-off to others for a continuation ("tagged in"). They have a "message", whilst the spammer is just trying to get his $0.02-per-click/pageview.

This is all just my own oberservations and opinions based on Usenet/email abuse - I used to be a regular in news.admin.net-abuse.* newsgroups, lo! these many years ago. Combine that with acknowledged or verified spammer/"agenda" tactics, and some of the time I can discern the purpose with just a glance, or (as above) leftovers. Your Mileage May Vary. (AKA, "if I'm so **** good at this, why ain't I getting paid for it?")

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI