Give it 6 months (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West

LuckyJim1010 -> Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 4:37:17 PM)

I said, let the fuss die down, let the others' with no self control find the bugs, wait till the 1st major patch I said.

Downloading it now.

[:)]

KenchiSulla -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 4:40:15 PM)

Don't worry about it, it very playable and enjoyable

Dante Fierro -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 4:44:50 PM)

The developers and programmers don't seem to have stopped their development work with the release. They have been very responsive on the forums, and appear dedicated to coming out with further updates and expansions. So far I'm having a great time with the game, but I've had to be patient with the learning process since so much is going on (which is why I bought the game, depth and complexity).

LuckyJim1010 -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 4:48:44 PM)

Well I was downloading it. Failed at 99 %

Try again later

LuckyJim1010 -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 6:01:47 PM)

Downloaded.
You have made me feel like a 14 year old again.
My first wargame ever was AH's D-Day.
Would have been the summer of 78, I bought it from, of all places, Harrods
[&o]

MisterBoats -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 6:45:42 PM)

Matrix has always been outstanding about patching their games after receiving feedback from its customers. It's no wonder they continue to be successful.

I had AH's "Fortress Europa" in the 80s, and then Grigsby's "Western Front" in '91. WITW is a worthy successor.

Nico165b165 -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 7:38:50 PM)

Give it 6 months playing it, then another 6 months ?

Yes, certainly [8D]

Mickrocks201 -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 8:24:29 PM)

I've been enjoying the hell out of witw. Just started my third 43 campaigne .... First time thru I put the airwar on auto and muddled my way thru... Second time paid much more attention to the details of the air side of things, Do take a look at Pelton's AAR for some ideas. Playing against the AI I really pressed things. Landed II corps in Sicily on turn one... 8th Army on the toe on turn two and a single hex invasion on Sardinia. Cleared Sicily and Sardinia and when Italy folded took Corsica. Big 5 hex invasion around Livorno once I got air control out of Corsica and Sardinia. No real problems. Perhaps that in itself is a problem, the AI is pretty unagressive about pounding you invasions. The AI Didn't try to fight in Sicily at all, so you can use just II corps.

I did a six hex invasion between dieppe and and Bologne exclusive Worked just fine. Sure the AI always seems to wrap regiments around and incursion or breakout, but it put up enough resistance to make you work at it! I am looking forward to a better AI so I will pay for the risks I take.

Hmmmm. My first game was Stalingrad back in 64.

Gargoil -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 9:08:07 PM)

I played Husky and Air Campaign.

Then jumped into the 43 campaign. Restated 3 times, as I keep finding things to do better (like take 4 Amphib back to largest ports in Africa right after completing the Sicily invasion).

Each time I get more involved. Learning better positioning of aircraft at ABs, better feel for replacement pools, pilots, upgrades. The ground combat has changed very little from WitE, so all good there.

My first game was AH Panzerblitz and Richtofen's War (early 70's?). Fondest memories are of Squad Leader, The Longest Day and SPI's War in Europe. Fondest PC wargame is Forge of Freedom.

Dante Fierro -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/15/2015 9:18:02 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

Then jumped into the 43 campaign. Restated 3 times, as I keep finding things to do better (like take 4 Amphib back to largest ports in Africa right after completing the Sicily invasion).

Each time I get more involved. Learning better positioning of aircraft at ABs, better feel for replacement pools, pilots, upgrades. The ground combat has changed very little from WitE, so all good there.

My first game was AH Panzerblitz and Richtofen's War (early 70's?). Fondest memories are of Squad Leader, The Longest Day and SPI's War in Europe. Fondest PC wargame is Forge of Freedom.

I'm still working with the Husky scenario, but really taking my time. The beauty of working with the A.I. is it is easy to reset at any save point. And I too am learning more and more elements and management techniques as I proceed. I really enjoy fine tuning the air missions, although it is a bit time consuming, but yields much better results than putting my air campaign on automatic with the AI generated directives.

whoofe -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 12:48:10 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Gargoil

I have been doing much the same.

whoofe -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 12:48:58 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LuckyJim1010

I said, let the fuss die down, let the others' with no self control find the bugs, wait till the 1st major patch I said.

Downloading it now.

[:)]

I believe they are working on a patch already.

bairdlander2 -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 1:17:34 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: MisterBoats

Matrix has always been outstanding about patching their games after receiving feedback from its customers.

Actually it is 2by3 who made the game and continue to patch it.Thank them.

rwenstrup -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 1:53:51 AM)

This is a great game...my favorite game as a kid was AH D-Day...and this brings it all back. Fun game...lot to it...

David Hansen -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 3:56:36 PM)

My first AH war game...Tactics 1...with my dad...1960/1961.

Joel Billings -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 4:14:47 PM)

My first was Tactics II (with my dad) in 1965. I've always wondered what the difference was between Tactics I and Tactics II. Anyone know?

Belphegor -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 4:51:13 PM)

Gettysburg '64. Found it in my parents closet. I've been scarred ever since. [:D]

No clue what the difference was between the two tactics games.

Dante Fierro -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 5:21:38 PM)

France 1940. The image of the gamebox cover is etched in my brain. Olive and white, with that commander's hat and a soldier throwing a grenade.

Nico165b165 -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 5:40:40 PM)

Not old enough for such memories, but maybe those magazines will bring souvenirs for the french-speaking people here :

[image]http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-jUwi5XsYRzQ/UYETlQkbikI/AAAAAAAAG_8/eSZh0xrXZts/s1600/numero_1128_1098179926.jpg[/image]

[image]http://enpointetoujours.free.fr/EPT-files/EPT-Module-Normandie-1944.jpg[/image]

[image]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-wElIUwhuGRE/UYEY8FWr2RI/AAAAAAAAHAk/YpMTLNOIAkk/s1600/DSC02288.JPG[/image]

Vae Victis really did a good job bringing many people to wargaming.

LuckyJim1010 -> RE: Give it 6 months (1/16/2015 6:03:03 PM)

By the way just wanted to say my OP was in no way a judgement on the quality of the code behind the game.

It was just my way of trying to convince myself to not give into temptation. As you can see that lasted all of a few weeks.

As to the game, Ive spent a few hours just clicking through units, admiring the map etc

Simply superb.

I drilled down to a squad from the British 78th and was a bit disappointed to see there are no pictures of the Devices.

Hand Grenades, rifles etc.

Can I get a refund [:D]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI