RE: August 29th, 1942 Update (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition >> After Action Reports

jimh009 -> RE: August 29th, 1942 Update (1/29/2015 11:57:50 PM)

Let's see, other things going on in August 29th, 1942

China

The sitzkreig continues. The AI finally took Wenchow in late July, and nearly has Tsiasoto. I think it will also soon dislodge the unit in front of Nanyang. But other than these nibbles, all is quiet here.

India

The AI continues to build up its forces here without any interference. However, the AI was starting to launch a nasty air war against some Indian bases. But I noticed it made a mistake...having huge amounts of bombers at Mandalay without any fighters. So I took a chance and launched a raid against it. While I haven't killed off many bombers, Mandalay is right now "out of action" for the Japanese. This has greatly limited the AI's strikes against Indian bases, allowing them to be developed and also allowing me to rebuild back the Hurricane pools that were getting very low.

Other than that, nothing new here beyond building up forces for the eventual offensive that begins in late 1943 or so. The AI hasn't moved toward Imphal or Kohima yet, and I kind of doubt it will. The AI also hasn't marched on Chittagong. It seems content to just sit in Akyab and look menacing.

When the Allied offensive does begin in this region, the stacking limits are also likely to make matters quite challenging at Akyab - but that's a post for another day.

More South Pacific

I had given thought to taking PM before taking Lunga. However, in the grand scheme of things, Port Moresby isn't especially important. Lunga offers far more advantages to the Allied player than Port Moresby does. Moreover, I think taking Lunga will be significantly easier and less costly (naval wise) than PM. The AI has stacked PM to the max with LUC's too. But unlike Lunga, there is no nearby location to build a network of bases to provide land based air cover for Allied naval operations. I also don't like the idea of the entire US fleet being pinned in that location of the map for an extended period of time (which would be required to try to force a landing at PM to take the base) - there's scant few places to run if things go wrong.

Ultimately, PM will be taken. But it will only be taken after PM gets "cut of" from naval supply. Once Lunga is secured, the Allies will begin to work both up the Solomons but also take islands like Woodlark Island, Milne Bay and eventually Buna. Horn Island will also be taken. With PM cut off from supply, the Japanese units there will die a slow, painful death - allowing the Allies to sweep into it sometime in mid 1943, I guess.

Tarawa/Makin

Once Lunga and vicinity is secured, and assuming the Allies still have all their CV's, an operation to take Makin/Tarawa will be launched. At the same time, units will be landed at Tabiteau and Abemama. This will give the Allies 4 air bases to work with from this part of the map, helping set the stage for further operations in the Central Pacific. Tarawa will become the main naval base for the region, due to its higher stacking limits.

Units are currently prepping for both operations. Makin's units are in Lihue (and are the same units that took Baker) and Tarawa's units are in Lahaina (2nd Marine Division and related units).

Shipping

The reduction in cargo capacity of Allied ships hasn't had too much effect on my game. However, the stacking limits have really forced me to "move stuff around" all over the map. As a result, it has been the stacking limits - not the cargo reduction - that has strained my shipping. Still, while strained, it isn't "overworked" yet. But its definitely way different than in stock, where half of all Allied xAK's would be in port at this point of the game due to not having anything to do.

New Units

All the new units - particularly those support related units - are taking a while to get used to. I'm still not 100% sure which unit does which yet. Still, I love all the new support units. The really open up some flexibility the Allies lacked in the stock game.

North Pacific

Japan took Attu. It tried to take Kiska, but since I had forces landing at Amchitka Island, I detached some surface forces to take care of the Kiska island landing force - which it did. The Kiska Island landing force was well guarded, with a CA, one CL and a bunch of DD's. Yet my puny force of 2 CL's, one DD and one DE managed to rout it - sinking the CA in the process. After that, the AI hasn't tried to take Kiska again.

As for Attu, well...it is there. And out of supply, since two squadrons of B-26's from Adak bomb anything that attempts to go there. But I'm in zero rush to re-take Attu. Far as I'm concerned, taking the Aleutians for Japan is a "sink pit" - and a wonderful way to lose ships and supply for scant, if any, gain.

Large Operations and Stacking Limits

The Isolatioin of Lunga operation requires a lot of units to pull off. In past games, I just threw everything on Nouma and based everything out of there. But in this game, the stacking limits change that dramatically. Right now, the Lunga invasion force is based Port Kembla. When it comes time to invade, they'll rail move up to Brisbane where they'll board the invasion transports.

Russell Island and Rennell Island forces are in Brisbane. Tulagi Island force are in New Castle. Ndeni forces and Funafuti forces are in Auckland. Thousands Ships Bay, Munda and KiraKira Island forces are (or will soon be) in Sydney.

Anyways, the stacking limits have definitely made large operations much more complex than it used to be in stock!

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI