I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

jack54 -> I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/18/2015 8:42:23 PM)

Hi Everybody,

I just bought Distant Worlds Universe and yes the mind is boggled but I can see the appeal.
It was a close call; I really wanted Armada 2526 which seems to fit my play style but has less support at this stage.
I dislike realtime stuff. I watched a ton of let's play videos and this seems manageable.
Hopefully I didn't make the wrong choice but DWU it certainly is a quality product.

Tophat1815 -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/18/2015 8:47:10 PM)

If the pace seems to fast lower the speed to .5 or .25 of normal. You'll soon get used to and comfortable with the game speed and there is always the pause button. By the way,good luck!

Cauldyth -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/18/2015 9:47:08 PM)

Welcome to the addiction. [:)]

I also detest real-time games, but DW:U is very different. Use the pause button frequently (I think I spend more time paused than unpaused) and just unpause to let things play out until it's time to do something, then pause again. I don't issue a single ship order without pausing the game.

Shark7 -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/19/2015 4:34:48 AM)

Just keep in mind, that despite being real time, the assist AI is a real help. You don't have to jump in feet first and try to do it all at once, just turn off one automation feature at a time until you get used to running things.

Nyku -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/19/2015 7:44:15 AM)

I did pick up the game around fall last year and I can tell you: It wasn't a mistake at all! :) Have fun playing. There's so much stuff to read and look into! Check out the "guide to the guides mkII". I learned a lot from that one!

jack54 -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/19/2015 9:22:03 PM)

Thanks everyone, I started 2 quick games to get the feel. I can see how various play styles can be accommodated with all the options available. Already installed the 'Extended Universe' mod and may try a 'Star Trek'soon.

So far the game is very enjoyable and I've only scratched the surface!

USSAmerica -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/20/2015 11:58:31 AM)

I just got it downloaded and installed last night, Jack. It looks great on first impression and I can't wait to dive in. It will probably take me a bit longer to get fully immersed as I have another mistress who does not take kindly to sharing my game time, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. [:D]

Tophat1815 -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/20/2015 12:39:01 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: USS America

I just got it downloaded and installed last night, Jack. It looks great on first impression and I can't wait to dive in. It will probably take me a bit longer to get fully immersed as I have another mistress who does not take kindly to sharing my game time, War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition. [:D]

Good to see you took the plunge! The Ogame band gets back together!

USSAmerica -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/20/2015 4:09:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

quote:

Hi Bob! So this is where you ran off to. [:D]

Still playing Ogame, minimally, now merged into U20. Carl, Lee, and Major Mike are still around or back there again. [:)]

Now, off to fill my lunch hour with an AE turn! [&o][&o][&o]

Sirian -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/21/2015 5:38:00 AM)

I would rather wish you fun then wish you luck. :-)

Shark7 -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/22/2015 4:44:08 AM)

quote:

quote:

ORIGINAL: Tophat1812

quote:

Hi Bob! So this is where you ran off to. [:D]

Still playing Ogame, minimally, now merged into U20. Carl, Lee, and Major Mike are still around or back there again. [:)]

Now, off to fill my lunch hour with an AE turn! [&o][&o][&o]

Best be careful, you might find that this game slowly takes over and you'll be playing less and less of WITP. I know that is how it happened withe me. [8D]

CyclopsSlayer -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/26/2015 1:08:01 AM)

I cannot count the number of times DW has stolen hours from me... LOL
Look up and I see I have an hour til I need to get somewhere, the next time I look up the time I needed to quit by was hours gone. Maybe I micromanage too much... as IF!

Shark7 -> RE: I just picked up DWU.... wish me luck... (1/26/2015 3:54:56 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: CyclopsSlayer

I cannot count the number of times DW has stolen hours from me... LOL
Look up and I see I have an hour til I need to get somewhere, the next time I look up the time I needed to quit by was hours gone. Maybe I micromanage too much... as IF!

I've gotten to where I set an alarm so I don't play through bed time. I'm getting too old to make it on 2-3 hours sleep a night. [:-]

And it never fails I play till 3 in the morning on a night I have to be at work that morning. [8|]

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI