RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West

Aurelian -> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (1/25/2015 12:59:11 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: MisterBoats

quote:

Warspite1

Except you didn't recount the full quote:

"Nice work, Lee Harvey -- you have a bright future ahead of you. I particularly liked the area you chose from which to make the shot - a grassy knoll, how clever".

I have always been amused by von Runstedt's ire at having the Ardennes Offensive carry his name during the war. von Stompyfoot is more like it.

warspite1

[&:] I didn't understand this comment about von Rundstedt's name and the Ardnennes Offensive so I looked it up. It seems you were right - it appears the Field Marshal's full name (taken from his birth certificate) was Karl Rudolf Gert Wacht Am Rhein von Rundstedt...... Who knew right?

Could be worse. Could be Tara Gabriel Galaxy Gramaphone Getty. (A grandson of J Paul Getty.)

Seminole -> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (1/25/2015 5:37:33 AM)

quote:

If he had had his way, Von Rundstedt indicated that the Allies would first of all have sustained prohibitive losses during landing operations. In addition, they would not have been able, "with relative impunity," to bring up battleships close to the coast to act as floating gun batteries.

If he's curious how tanks would fare against destroyers, cruisers, and battleships he should have asked his counterparts who tried in Italy.

JeffroK -> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (1/25/2015 5:48:15 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: warspite1

quote:

ORIGINAL: KWG

*Slowly backs away from the crazy person*

as a kid Patton would pack a lunch go in the woods find a dead animal and then eat lunch while looking at the carcass.
warspite1

That proves it then - he was definitely assassinated [:D]

They'll be blaming Monty next, an attack rabbit attacked Patton's car!

KWG -> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (1/25/2015 4:57:55 PM)

"They'll be blaming Monty next, an attack rabbit attacked Patton's car!"

Monty had a plan to take out Patton by throwing him off a bridge not too far from town, however his plan was never fully carried out. It was actually a fox, of the desert variety, that was seen near the vehicle.

Did Rommel's death from injuries suffered in his vehicular accident get the same amount of press coverage as Patton's? It would be tacky if it didn't.

KWG -> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (1/25/2015 4:59:05 PM)

"If he's curious how tanks would fare against destroyers, cruisers, and battleships he should have asked his counterparts who tried in Italy."

"If I had been able to move the troops, then my air force would also have been in a position to attack hostile ships.

If he had had his way, Von Rundstedt indicated that the Allies would first of all have sustained prohibitive losses during landing operations. In addition, they would not have been able, "with relative impunity," to bring up battleships close to the coast to act as floating gun batteries.

That is all a question of air force, air force, and again air force," he commented."

were the planes not close enough already? he seems to have needed a closer Luftwaffe, not stronger.

JeffroK -> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (1/30/2015 8:15:14 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: KWG

"They'll be blaming Monty next, an attack rabbit attacked Patton's car!"

Monty had a plan to take out Patton by throwing him off a bridge not too far from town, however his plan was never fully carried out. It was actually a fox, of the desert variety, that was seen near the vehicle.

Did Rommel's death from injuries suffered in his vehicular accident get the same amount of press coverage as Patton's? It would be tacky if it didn't.

No one took my bait.

Around the time of The Bulge, at a major conference Monty explained how in the case of a German attack he would "Spring on them like a Rabbit". I think this is in Monty or Pattons diaries.

PS I dont believe Monty or Patton hated each other, my reading is professional respect but they weren't sending each other Birthday cards. Both wanted to get to Berlin first and pushed their own barrows. Post war comment by others has built up a lot of mythology about the disrespect.

KWG -> RE: VON RUNDSTEDT EXPLAINS (1/30/2015 1:25:06 PM)

" Both wanted to get to Berlin first and pushed their own barrows"

friction over supplies, Patton and Monty each saying they could achieve the most if given larger share of supplies/fuel. Patton's troops were notorious for supplies/fuel raids on other allied commands.

Page: <<   < prev  1 [2]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI