zumwalt destroyer (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Marine1775 -> zumwalt destroyer (1/25/2015 1:08:07 PM)

How are new ships introduced into the game?
Also, is it possible to tweak stealth characteristics. EG I want to decrease the radar signature of the A-6 Intruder.
Thanks A lot.

ckfinite -> RE: zumwalt destroyer (1/25/2015 2:19:36 PM)

quote:

How are new ships introduced into the game?

You ask the devs to add it. The Zumwalt should be in already - look for DDG 1000.

quote:

Also, is it possible to tweak stealth characteristics. EG I want to decrease the radar signature of the A-6 Intruder.

No, and the A-6 should have a pretty whopping RCS when loaded, too.

mikmykWS -> RE: zumwalt destroyer (1/25/2015 4:25:08 PM)

We've got a request in to adjust the front/back cross section but its in the db.

Honestly you'll get a reduction in signature but its not really an invisible ship at all.

M

Agiel -> RE: zumwalt destroyer (1/25/2015 8:28:54 PM)

Stealth for ship does more for inducing uncertainty in the enemy by making it appear smaller than it is on radar scopes than actually obfuscating it completely from them.

The enemy will see a surface contact, but if the Zumwalt is observing fairly strict EMCON or the emissions aren't tripping ESMs due to LPI, then he will have no way of telling whether or not it's a fishing trawler or a $3.5 billion guided missile destroyer with 80 VLS cells of death and two 155mm guns firing GPS-guided rocket-assisted shells that range out to 83nm.

Araner -> RE: zumwalt destroyer (1/30/2015 12:31:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agiel

Stealth for ship does more for inducing uncertainty in the enemy by making it appear smaller than it is on radar scopes than actually obfuscating it completely from them.

The enemy will see a surface contact, but if the Zumwalt is observing fairly strict EMCON or the emissions aren't tripping ESMs due to LPI, then he will have no way of telling whether or not it's a fishing trawler or a $3.5 billion guided missile destroyer with 80 VLS cells of death and two 155mm guns firing GPS-guided rocket-assisted shells that range out to 83nm.

Can you explain what ESMs and LPI refer to? I use the Zumwalts in a lot of my scenarios and I'm interested in properly reducing their radar signature. Biggest problem is I still need a DDG-51 (Flight II or III) for air defense so enemy already knows to look in the sector anyway.

RobotCriminal -> RE: zumwalt destroyer (1/30/2015 1:55:51 PM)

ESM = Electronic Support Measures. Basically listening for enemy radiated energy/radars.

LPI = Low Probability of Intercept. Newer radars basically throttle themselves down to attempt to minimize the range enemy ESM can pick up on them while still being useful. Not really perfect though as any signal that has enough energy to reach a target and then bounce back has by definition the energy to go at least twice as far in a straight line (in reality a lot more then twice). Still, it helps.

There is a bit more to LPI in reality (frequency hopping, bandwidth, reducing side/back lobes etc.) but that conversation would get needlessly complicated really fast [:D]. The gist of it is making your radar harder to pick up by the enemy.

E: Some people also call ESM Electronic Surveillance Measures even though I'm not certain that's strictly correct or incorrect. You might hear the term though.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI