Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Gary Grigsby's War in the West >> Tech Support

nedcorleone1 -> Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (1/25/2015 1:09:55 PM)

As title suggests, I just noticed in my game 'Salerno to Rome' that the game will freeze when I try to navigate the 'Select Chart' list in the VP window. Even trying to scroll the list will result in the game not responding which I end up having to force close. I'm on turn 18. This is the first time (other than turn 1) that I've consulted the VP graphs.

GER: AI
WA: Human
DIFF: Normal

Uploaded .sav as .txt.

EDIT: VP graph crashes with every attempt on any turn. Even viewing the VP graphs upon victory crashes the game.

Helpless -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (1/30/2015 1:48:38 PM)

Tied it and it works ok for me. Can you try to load it with disabled sounds (rename sound folder)?

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/17/2015 6:41:05 PM)

I just had a game freeze on the vp graph screen. And lost an hour and a half of my multiplayer turn (with Pelton, on the server).

I don't want to try and recreate it..at least not with a server game, but basically, I went into INFO SCREENS, then pressed the chart tab. I get a victory point graph.

When I click the Allied Cities filter on the left, and it came up..but when I hit the next one, I got a forever spinning circle.

Perhaps I clicked it too fast, or maybe it crashes all the time. When I finish redoing my turn *sigh* I will experiment a bit with a normal game.

EDIT: Oh, and I got rid of the sound folder a long time ago. So that isn't what may be causing this.

Aurelian -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/17/2015 6:47:26 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: LiquidSky

I just had a game freeze on the vp graph screen. And lost an hour and a half of my multiplayer turn (with Pelton, on the server).

I don't want to try and recreate it..at least not with a server game, but basically, I went into INFO SCREENS, then pressed the chart tab. I get a victory point graph.

When I click the Allied Cities filter on the left, and it came up..but when I hit the next one, I got a forever spinning circle.

Perhaps I clicked it too fast, or maybe it crashes all the time. When I finish redoing my turn *sigh* I will experiment a bit with a normal game.

EDIT: Oh, and I got rid of the sound folder a long time ago. So that isn't what may be causing this.

Does it in my vs AI game too.

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/17/2015 7:43:52 PM)

Okay..server game done.

I open up a new game. And I have no problem clicking through the various charts.

I open up a saved game a few turns in. I can click the first few but sooner or later I get the spinning circle of freeze.

If you want to try my server game with Pelton..you can see if you can access the various charts, or if it freezes on you as well.

I wonder if it has to do with the speed I click..if I click a new chart before the old one displays it freezes?

Helpless -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/17/2015 9:49:40 PM)

Loaded your game and it didn't crash for me. We were getting metrics crash reports in the past, but were not able to replicate it. Next time if it will get into spinning circle, can you look at the memory usage of the game process? Thanks.

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 3:34:38 AM)

Okay...hmm...first attempt in an AI game.

Memory is 1,223,932 commit: 957,124 working: 13292 Shareable: 943,832 Private

Well..I click on the chart screen (which I had opened once before) and I got insta freeze. Not even showing the menu. I noticed the numbers in the memory window jump up (too quick to note the actual number) but immediately fell back down to those original numbers.

Attempt#2: Game freshly loaded from a save.
Memory is 1,188,780 commit: 859,656 working: 12,488 Sharable: 847,168 Private.

I hit Graph.
Memory is 1,197,288 commit: 885,588 working: 12,528 Sharable: 873,060 Private.

Well..this is new. I hit a different Graph filter and it displayed the graph. Then at a count of about 3, I got the spinning wheel.

Memory is 1,197,296: 888,480: 12532: 875,848

When I Analyze Wait chain it says it is waiting for Thread 1732.

If I take a brand new game, and advance it a turn so it has data, I cannot make it crash. Only on the games I have that are a few turns in.

For fun, I loaded up WiTW on my wife's computer. (Mine is Windows 7 64bit, hers is Windows 8, 64bit), and I cannot make it freeze. (The exact same saved game file that freezes on mine) It bounces through the charts like a breeze.

Which tells me the problem is somehow related to me and how my computer is configured. Oh well..I guess I can go back to ignoring that button for now...no charts in my AAR

Helpless -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 5:11:42 AM)

Can upload a dxdiag for the PC where you have an issue?

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 6:30:53 AM)

Okay..here you go.

zakblood -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 6:48:44 AM)

do you have 2x8GB sticks of ram or 4x4GB sticks?

zakblood -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 6:51:52 AM)

the reason for asking is too fold tbh,

http://ark.intel.com/products/48496/Intel-Core-i5-760-Processor-8M-Cache-2_80-GHz

supports a maximum memory of 16gb only, while your system inc card has more, while no problem with this set up is standard win 7 doesn't do memory management as good as win 8.1 does, so one reason why error maybe only happening in win 7 and not win 8 .1

next to try and test for,

-running games in windowed mode?
-updating drivers for everything m/b and video card to latest or a more stable one, including your bios?
- test ram, game freezes with a single stick of ram installed, doesn't matter which one memtest or other program is good for this
-system doesn't freeze during benchmarks with full cpu usage?
-the temperature does not effect the result, games freeze under 35°C?
-allocating more ram to the gpu over bios does not effect the result either?
-software problems are probably not occurring, because the OS was installed a few days / weeks / months ago?

user defined screen resolution? but i ran the game in normal full hd resolution 1920x1080, or larger, eg what do you use and what size screen etc?

Helpless -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 6:58:46 AM)

quote:

I just had a game freeze on the vp graph screen.

Is this consistent behavior? Does it freeze on some particular graph?

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 7:09:41 AM)

Well..since I am going to be up all night to get ready for a weekend night shift, I will try a bunch of things.

1st off I have um.. 4 sticks of 4GB Memory. Both Memory and CPU are not overclocked or any of that nonsense.

I run almost all games in windowed mode. I have two monitors and it allows me to put stuff on the other monitor while I play...like the massive WiTW manual...

I am fairly good at updating all drivers, although the bios one I haven't though of in a while...but then I haven't changed any hardware either, other then a new mouse/keyboard.

My system doesn't freeze under load. Temps at the moment are in the upper 60's for the CPU and lower 60 - upper 50's for the Video card.

I haven't played with the bios in a long time. I'd rather do that as a last resort, and only because it may help track the problem down. I am not too fussed if I cant access the graphs.

My OS was installed a while ago. I have a brand new OS on my small ssd drive as a backup should something happen. I can install the game on it and see if I get crashes. That would eliminate all the weird and wonderful stuff my computer has accumulated over the last couple years.

The Behaviour is not consistant in that it happens at the same point all the time. What it does do is happen all the time on any game I have played with a few turns done.

Give me about an hour..let me play a bit and see if I notice a pattern.

JocMeister -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 7:46:57 AM)

I´m also suffering from crashes. So far only when I´m playing server games. But that might be related to me alt+tabbing out which I seldom do when I play SP.

Usually when I try to ALT+TAB back I get a "stopped responding" message when I try to go back. Quick fix for this would obviously be for me to stop ALT+TAB out of the game. [:D]

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 7:49:26 AM)

Okay...I downloaded somebodys random game off tech support. Game crashes on Graph.

I booted up a fairly fresh install of Windows 7..with updated drivers. Game crashes on Graph.

That tells me it probably has something to do with my hardware. Since I can use the wifes Surface Pro 3 and it doesnt crash at all.

As long as I stay away from the graphs, I am okay. I can play the game for hours (and have [:'(] ) It was only today that I first thought to look at the graphs.

Well..I am probably due for a new computer anyways. I like to change it up every 2-3 years, and give this one away to a friend/relative. It saddens me anyways that my wifes little dinner plate of a computer runs the game faster and smoother then my big rig.

zakblood -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 9:28:58 AM)

if it can be replicated from a save, it's a bug, if it can only be done on one O/S then it's O/S dependant bug, if it can't be replicated any any random system from the save, the it will be harder to track down and fix, and commenting on your wife's pc, stick win 8.1 on your older pc, may help you, did on some of my older ones...

hope you get it sorted, sounds like you have more than a few idea's tbh and not clueless like some, common sense is always the best bet, and i hope my suggestions didn't sound too low tech as they were meant to help not patronize

good luck

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 11:02:41 PM)

I got a new exe from Helpless who's name is a trick to trap the unwary.

I still get the crash.

It didn't help that my internet went down for several hours last night. Or I would have played around more with this.

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (2/18/2015 11:25:57 PM)

The crashing behavior seems to be the same as it was before...however, it's random nature really makes me think that the problem is me. Just ask my wife...she agrees.

I have had, on occasion, problems with other games, so I am beginning to suspect that there is something rotten in the computer. Evil gremlins chewing on my wires. Or maybe aliens. The kind with teeth.

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (7/14/2015 9:08:40 PM)

I know...I know....resurrecting yet another old thread. I must be evil.

I am not sure if something was done on your end, but it appears that the metrics window no longer freezes the game on me.

I have shied away from using the metrics as I disliked having to reboot the game, but thought I would give it a try with this new 44 beta. And I can happily jump from window to window.

If it was you, I thank you. If the Gremlins have moved out of my computer for cooler climes, then I thank them...whoever is responsible, Bless You!

Joel Billings -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (7/14/2015 9:33:39 PM)

There were fixes that Pavel made in this area, IIRC.

Helpless -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (7/15/2015 5:57:09 AM)

On some PCs circle dots were causing it. We replaced them with squares :)

LiquidSky -> RE: Game Freeze+Crash on VP Graph Interface (7/16/2015 1:36:38 AM)

I guess that makes me a square kinda guy.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI