The future of Distant Worlds (and possibly DW2) (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Distant Worlds 1 Series

Lord451 -> The future of Distant Worlds (and possibly DW2) (1/27/2015 5:32:03 PM)

So far I've really, REALLY enjoyed Distant Worlds. It's been a really fun game, and looking around for info on it, it looks like it has a pitifully small but exceedingly loyal following. Which is cool, except I'd love to be able to share it with more people. I'd like to be able to find some more information on it, instead of always coming back to the same 4 threads with answers that don't quite answer my particular question.

One of my big concerns in buying the game was the price tag. I actually missed the recent "steam sale" (I don't consider a game to be on sale if it's only, what, 15% off of 60 bucks?). I bought the game because I was cleaning out my wish list and taking stuff I didn't want anymore and was like "what the hell is this?" Looked into it again, and feeling financially irresponsible decided to chuck 60 bucks at a game from a publisher that I vaguely recall having heard of before somewhere.

And I love it. I've had a ton of fun playing the game, and recommended it to all of my friends. The overwhelming response? "Sounds cool, but I'll pass" as soon as they see the sticker price. This game REALLY needs a major sale to get some new life into it (unless it's been abandoned, but that doesn't sound like the case).

There was a really interesting article on Gamasutra (with several other similar reports elsewhere) about the economics of big sales. Do a google search for Economics of Steam Sales and it will show you, I haven't posted enough to send you straight there.

I've already bought the game and I'm VERY happy with it. However, I'd love to see a sequel, or at least continued support for this game. I want it to continue, and I want to enjoy a living, breathing game instead of finding out I jumped on the bandwagon late and I get to watch its death throws.

From the article:

"While some may argue that [major sales] contribute to an industry-wide price deterioration problem -- where smartphone games have made people unwilling to spend more than $5 on a digital game -- [Steam sales] are a bit different," says Ken Berry, the executive VP of XSEED Games (Ys Origins, Ys: The Oath in Felghana).

"Rather than looking at it as a 'lost sale' when people wait for these Steam discounts, I think it needs to be viewed as reaching out to a new customer that never would have purchased your game otherwise."

I want to see the game continue to succeed. I'd love for my friends to play it. But the price is just too much when there's so many other things you can buy for $60, but there's a lot of value in temporarily dropping the price in half to get 5 times the sales, and then you have people that actually know about the game to share it with their friends. I love the game, I do, but do you guys honestly want to go head to head against Farcry 4 pricewise? And if you ever do decide to make a genuine sequel, new engine and all that, having a bigger player base will be enormously valuable.

I want the game to succeed, and it kind of sounds like it's floundering in oblivion. I only became a huge fan of it through luckily viewing old games I spotted once an a moment of financial irresponsibility. If that's your business model, I doubt I'll get to see a sequel.

Flinkebeinchen -> RE: The future of Distant Worlds (and possibly DW2) (1/30/2015 1:51:32 PM)

It was 17% and even before a year passed onto the release, usually they don't put games on sale that quick.

Anyway, we discussed the topic until dead before we even know DW:U was going to steam. Going for less then 40 bucks will never happen.

Retreat1970 -> RE: The future of Distant Worlds (and possibly DW2) (1/30/2015 2:49:47 PM)

My biggest wish is for a multiplayer element.

ponasozis -> RE: The future of Distant Worlds (and possibly DW2) (2/15/2015 9:58:53 PM)

All these people being unhapy with 60$ tag

while us loyal fans paid like 120$ just for three expansions
m8

then again its best spend 120$ ever for me played this game more then any other ever
can t even play most other 4x games because they lack such in depth systems like this game have

probably going to come out few more updates for game which will bring more modding stuff

and who knows maybe they will start making distant worlds 2 with better graphics more in depth stuff less hard coded stuff so moders can mod it better

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI