RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [General] >> General Discussion

davidshq -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/21/2015 3:45:07 AM)

So I compiled everyone's responses and also added the alternative suggestions that were made. I've separated the list into computer and board games. If a game is both I placed it under computer games.

BTW, the counting was somewhat difficult - if I were to recount I'd probably come up with slightly different numbers. :P I did my best w/out spending my entire life on it!

Here are a few observations I made:
1. The overwhelming demand is for SPWAW to be updated.
2. World War II remains the most popular era, though the Civil War makes a respectable appearance and Napoleonic falls in a distant third.
3. Fantasy and theoretical fall lowest on the list.
4. While not the overriding interest there is a strong interest in naval warfare games.
5. Games lean towards tactical or operational level as opposed to strategic.

Here are the results:

Computer:
- SPWAW (16x)
- Age of Rifles (6x)
- Great Naval Battles Series (6x)
- The Grandest Fleet (3x)
- Action Stations (3x)
- Third Reich (3x)
- Aces of the Deep (2x)
- Russia Besieged (2x)
- Sid Meier's Gettysburg (2x) ==> Ultimate General Gettysburg
- Civil War Generals 2 (2x)
- Squad Leader (2x)
- VGA Civil War Strategy Game
- Sid Meier's Antietam
- Decisive Battles of the Civil War
- Wargamer: Napoleon 1813
- Battles of Napoleon
- Clash of Steel ==> Strategic Command: European Theater
- Fighting Steel
- Advanced Third Reich
- The Operational Art of War (1, 2, 3)
- The Russian Campaign
- Carrier Strike South Pacific
- Achtung Spitfire ==> Sid Meier's Ace Patrol
- Over the Reich ==> Sid Meier's Ace Patrol
- War in the Pacific
- North Atlantic '86
- Action in the North Atlantic
- Destiny
- Arnhem
- Panzer Battles
- When Two Worlds War
- Sword of Aragon

Board:
- AH Bismarck (2x)
- S&T #43: The American Civil War (2x)
- AH's Midway
- Caesar of Alesia
- All AH games from 1960's
- Broadsides
- Dogfight
- Battle Cry
- War of the Lance
- Centurion Defender of Rome
- Panzer Blitz
- Panzer Leader
- AH Rise and Decline of the Third Reich
- Leipzig 1813

wodin -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/21/2015 11:30:33 AM)

Steel Panthers..obviously.

fsp1978 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/21/2015 6:55:46 PM)

Makes me curious - why is there no plan for a SPWAW remake?

I know about all the different free versions of SP out there, but I bet it would be viable to do a modernised version of it.

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/21/2015 7:44:34 PM)

ummm War of the Lance and Centurion Defender of Rome are computer games not board games. [:'(]

catwhoorg -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/21/2015 11:44:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: zakblood

Arnhem from the old spectrum classic, updated but not changed and spoilt [:D][;)]

Maybe patched so that you could actually play the entire campaign.

In the same vein the Libya/Egypt campaign(Desert rats was it?) and the Tunisian one.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/22/2015 9:27:10 AM)

damn some other ones have just come to mind!

Austerlitz: Napoleons Greatest Victory - from Breakaway games

Walls of Rome

North vs South (the iMagic game from the same makes of Great Battles of Hannibal/Alexandar/Caesar)

Birthright: The gorgon's alliance

ah another one - a really good one, two in fact

the old HPS games

Tigers on the Prowl
and
Panthers in the Shadows - really easy to get into but detailed also and wego format

re Fighting Steel - wasnt Battlefront going to make something like this again or something, but which was cancelled? is it still cancelled? they still show it on their website as discontinued, though i would think it should jsut be removed from the site altogether if no one is to pick up the mantle

Perturabo -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/22/2015 11:47:04 AM)

Peter Turcan's games.

Agathosdaimon -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/22/2015 1:56:30 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Peter Turcan's games.

yes definitely - and his games would really benefit from that, as they seemed to only work by deciphering some way of typing out commands or something? i suppose one could argue that the games Histwar and SoW are the more modern equivalents?

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/23/2015 1:03:38 AM)

Ok Matrixgames/Slitherine you've got your work cut out for you now. Get to it. [:D]

Oh and while I'm thinking about it an updated version to computer of Victory in the Sky or Eagles.

Perturabo -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/23/2015 5:14:09 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Agathosdaimon

quote:

ORIGINAL: Perturabo

Peter Turcan's games.

yes definitely - and his games would really benefit from that, as they seemed to only work by deciphering some way of typing out commands or something? i suppose one could argue that the games Histwar and SoW are the more modern equivalents?

The commands were in the manual. CD version of Dreadnoughts! has an in-game signal book and a bridge plot view. I think the command system was very interesting.

RedArgo -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/23/2015 6:19:09 PM)

Two board games I'd like to see are Star Fleet Battles and Titan.

ezzler -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/24/2015 1:06:25 AM)

titan is on the ipad.
but i didn't like it very much.

SFb is on the Ipad too. But the app, for what is a single battle, is massively overpriced.
It's not official either.

m10bob -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/24/2015 1:52:24 PM)

Anything related to Steel Panthers,(of course)..

Age Of Rifles

Zorch -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/24/2015 4:30:25 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: m10bob

Age Of Rifles

+1

soxy1312 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/26/2015 2:45:42 PM)

[:)]European Air War-a classic game.I had all the mods,ect,and it was the best combat flight game of them all.The only minus was the low flying over terrain-it looked like you were moving at the speed of a truck instead of a plane.That game could be remade into something awesome with contemporary computer gaming.Peter.

JEB Davis -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/28/2015 1:47:32 PM)

Now the count for Steel Panthers: World at War is...

+20

Werewolf13 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/28/2015 3:33:43 PM)

I'll add 2 of the best combat flight sim's ever: Microproses' Knights of the Sky and Spectrum Holobyte's Tornado.

DerTroof -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (3/30/2015 5:06:42 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: davidshq

So I compiled everyone's responses and also added the alternative suggestions that were made. I've separated the list into computer and board games. If a game is both I placed it under computer games.

BTW, the counting was somewhat difficult - if I were to recount I'd probably come up with slightly different numbers. :P I did my best w/out spending my entire life on it!

Here are a few observations I made:
1. The overwhelming demand is for SPWAW to be updated.
2. World War II remains the most popular era, though the Civil War makes a respectable appearance and Napoleonic falls in a distant third.
3. Fantasy and theoretical fall lowest on the list.
4. While not the overriding interest there is a strong interest in naval warfare games.
5. Games lean towards tactical or operational level as opposed to strategic.

I didn't know fantasy games were part of the discussion.

I'd include Fantasy General then, I always heard good things about it but IIRC it never came out in a post-DOS form.

Star General, on the other hand, deserves to stay buried in deep space.

Major_Mess -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/16/2015 9:32:21 PM)

Steel Panthers

What a silly Q to ask.

JMAC039122 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/16/2015 9:44:40 PM)

Steel Panthers

Riitaoja -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/16/2015 11:48:20 PM)

Steel Panthers!

[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/51014/B1CE08AEFD5E47268935104C929AB2D9.jpg[/image]

bob55 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 12:12:28 AM)

Steel Panthers is my choice, is there really any other?

DROregon -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 1:36:21 AM)

Steel Panthers!

aaatoysandmore -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 1:43:08 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

Steel Panthers!

[image]http://www.matrixgames.com/forums/upfiles/51014/B1CE08AEFD5E47268935104C929AB2D9.jpg[/image]

WOW what version of Steel Panthers is that? Mine don't look like that when I play it.

Zap -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 4:32:59 AM)

Steel Panthers

Major_Mess -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 5:04:04 AM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: aaatoysandmore

quote:

ORIGINAL: Riitaoja

Steel Panthers!

WOW what version of Steel Panthers is that? Mine don't look like that when I play it.

You're just not tryin' hard enough hahahahahaha

MM

Brausepaul -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 8:35:03 AM)

Red Storm Rising

gradenko2k -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 9:03:29 AM)

One of the key features of Clash of Steel that Strategic Command was never quite able to capture was separating the Western Allies and the Soviets into individual sides, if the player so wanted to play it that way.

v.Manstein -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 10:36:44 AM)

Lords of the Realm 2!

morge4 -> RE: What classic wargame do you wish would be remade? (4/17/2015 1:59:57 PM)

SPWAW

Page: <<   < prev  1 2 [3] 4 5   next >   >>

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI