[RELEASED] Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series >> Mods and Scenarios

Mgellis -> [RELEASED] Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/24/2015 11:32:20 PM)

A new scenario for testing...

Short scenario...a coup in Burundi in 1976 has turned into a civil war. The U.K. is committed to assisting the legitimate government. The rebels control the northern town of Kirundo. The RAF is assigned to take out their heavy artillery and other facilities so the Burundian army can finish them off.

So just how hard a nut to crack will these rebels prove to be? And will Uganda get involved?

As always, please feel free to offer suggestions, observations, etc. Thanks!

Quetzal -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/25/2015 6:58:39 PM)

Hi Mgellis. I've noticed your scenarios are usually well researched. I was wondering why you chose the UK as an intervention force in this scenario? Burundi was a francophone Belgian colony until independence. In 1976 France (since Belgium pretty much had washed its hands of anything in Africa, especially its former colonies by this point - Katanga being about their last intervention) would seem to be the logical choice for an intervention force. The Brits have never really had much interest in that region except Uganda and Kenya. Just curious what your rationale was for choosing the UK; not saying it's wrong, just wondering. France has been/is much more fond of meddling (er, I mean assisting) in that region.

Mgellis -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/25/2015 7:41:53 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Quetzal

Hi Mgellis. I've noticed your scenarios are usually well researched. I was wondering why you chose the UK as an intervention force in this scenario? Burundi was a francophone Belgian colony until independence. In 1976 France (since Belgium pretty much had washed its hands of anything in Africa, especially its former colonies by this point - Katanga being about their last intervention) would seem to be the logical choice for an intervention force. The Brits have never really had much interest in that region except Uganda and Kenya. Just curious what your rationale was for choosing the UK; not saying it's wrong, just wondering. France has been/is much more fond of meddling (er, I mean assisting) in that region.

Excellent question. Originally, I had conceived the mission being led by a multi-national coalition and the U.K. was just doing its share as a global leader. Somehow it ended up being a U.K. mission. I can just explain that in the scenario background, though. (And maybe I'll create another scenario with French forces.) Thanks for catching that!

Quetzal -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/26/2015 7:29:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mgellis
Excellent question. Originally, I had conceived the mission being led by a multi-national coalition and the U.K. was just doing its share as a global leader. Somehow it ended up being a U.K. mission. I can just explain that in the scenario background, though. (And maybe I'll create another scenario with French forces.) Thanks for catching that!

After mulling things over, I think I may owe you an apology. You do have a premium justification for using the Brits, especially if (as you hinted) Uganda gets involved. UK/Ugandan relations had been going to blazes for quite awhile (NOBODY likes Idi "Big Daddy" Amin). The UK finally broke off diplomatic relations with Uganda in -- wait for it -- 1976.[:D]

I'll just shut up, now...

AlexGGGG -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/26/2015 9:26:52 PM)

Very hard nut to crack. I did four or so disasters in a row. Most bad of all was zero visibility.

Patmanaut -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/27/2015 1:55:20 PM)

Yes, it happened to me too. After losing a Canberra and an F-4 to MANPADS and to 37mm fire, the UK MoD decided to cancel the mission and send me to the Orkneys.
Telling them it was suicidal to operate under that weather didn“t saved me from the axe..:D

Mgellis -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/27/2015 2:14:09 PM)

Hint...use the SAS platoons to identify and eliminate (or at least cripple) some of the ground units before sending in the aircraft. See what happens then.

hellfish6 -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/28/2015 3:21:54 AM)

I love Africa/Bush War missions. Can't wait to try it.

Patmanaut -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (3/29/2015 6:42:33 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Mgellis

Hint...use the SAS platoons to identify and eliminate (or at least cripple) some of the ground units before sending in the aircraft. See what happens then.

I“m having trouble with 2 x SAS squads with satchel charges trying to attack a SA-7 and a 37mm flak unit.
They do throw their charges, run away from the blast, but to their amazement the satchels got hanging motionless in mid air.
They ar probably still hanging there...
That cost me 2 buccaneers and an F-4 later.
An obvious nasty bug. I“ve reported it to Mike, let“s hope theżll fix it so the SAS can recover from depression...

Saludos

Mgellis -> RE: Busy Day in Burundi, 1976 -- new beta for testing (4/4/2015 1:27:13 AM)

Any more observations on this one? Or is it ready to submit to the Community Scenario Pack? Thanks.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI