Float planes vs 4Es (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> War in the Pacific: Admiral's Edition

linrom -> Float planes vs 4Es (4/9/2015 7:37:49 PM)

In the thread about night bombing there is reference made about putting float planes on cap(even at night). I did notice myself that float planes can disrupt 4Es. I was wondering why this works? And isn't it gamey?

In real life combat could a float plane have any impact on a B-17?

Jorge_Stanbury -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/9/2015 7:44:09 PM)

The Japanese did actually use Jake (edit: Pete) FPs as last resort CAP

and they will never get a 4-E just annoy it and reduce accuracy a bit. I don't think it is gamey

BattleMoose -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/10/2015 1:40:09 AM)

There's a problem with the defensive fire from 4E bombers at night, they are crazy accurate. Sending real fighters to intercept them at night, just ends badly for the fighters. Or so goes our PBEM experience.

linrom -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/10/2015 3:56:04 AM)

I can't believe they never changed the code. I was reading about this years ago.

On the other hand, the code can't handle float planes because they're not fighters?

m10bob -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/10/2015 2:21:40 PM)

The code for nightbombing HAS been toned down since the early days, and the Japanese have good float fighters, (like the Zero)..

Here's a Pete..

[image]local://upfiles/7909/2B2527EB777848F1971A07EDBC16D07E.jpg[/image]

m10bob -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/10/2015 2:26:28 PM)

The Americans almost had one too!

[image]local://upfiles/7909/F574454579684E36A91D65C9B8C40C9D.jpg[/image]

Lowpe -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/10/2015 6:22:51 PM)

The "trick" to having fighter coverage at night that doesn't get shot down in droves (prior to NF) is to choose plane models with horrendous rates of climb.

So a good fighter choice is the KAI Dinah. The Pete and Alf make for good float plane interceptors, because they hardly ever actually intercept, but their mere presence makes the bombing raid less effective. Combined with some decent AA, it is quite effective.

Is it gamey? Dunno, depends upon what the Allies are doing with night bombing would be my guess.

So: set the CAP at 10%; and you only lose a plane every now and then and you will help frustrate Allied night bombing until the Irving S comes along.

crsutton -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/10/2015 9:08:40 PM)

The zero float plane was a fighter but with a top speed of only about 275 MPH, most late war medium and light bombers could outrun it. It had a fairly high service ceiling but that does not mean it was very good at fighting at high altitude. I would imagine that it suffered from the same issues that the zero fighter did so most heavies could climb above them. Still it was a fighter, and sometimes could fill a gap. As for the game, any fighter at night will disrupt bomber accuracy. Does not have to be a night fighter. Just put a unit with some obsolete crates in it. Works fine.

wdolson -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/10/2015 10:33:40 PM)

There were a lot of float plane experiments that never made it into production. The Wildcatfish was one. The USN also tested a Helldiver and TBD on floats. A float plane version of the C-45 and C-47. Only one conversion of the C-47 was ever done, though I believe a number of C-45 float planes were made. Some Ju-52 were also fitted with floats. In British service both Swordfish and Spitfires were fitted with floats. The Spitfire never went into production, but there were a number of Swordfish with floats.

If you want to build plastic models of them, there are 1/48 scale models of the Wildcatfish and TBD on floats as well as a 1/24 scale model of the Spitfire floatplane. I believe there are also 1/72 scale models of all of the above in 1/72 scale.

Bill

m10bob -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/11/2015 1:04:55 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: wdolson

There were a lot of float plane experiments that never made it into production. The Wildcatfish was one. The USN also tested a Helldiver and TBD on floats. A float plane version of the C-45 and C-47. Only one conversion of the C-47 was ever done, though I believe a number of C-45 float planes were made. Some Ju-52 were also fitted with floats. In British service both Swordfish and Spitfires were fitted with floats. The Spitfire never went into production, but there were a number of Swordfish with floats.

If you want to build plastic models of them, there are 1/48 scale models of the Wildcatfish and TBD on floats as well as a 1/24 scale model of the Spitfire floatplane. I believe there are also 1/72 scale models of all of the above in 1/72 scale.

Bill

I built an Airfix model of the Ju 52 with floats..The Germans had quite a few in Norway.

A Helldiver with floats!..Gadzooks, as if "the beast" didn't have enough teething problems..LOL

[image]local://upfiles/7909/5DEA8D583809428499F5D3E1400E5CD6.jpg[/image]

Anthropoid -> RE: Float planes vs 4Es (4/11/2015 3:33:15 PM)

Given that a good fighter from this era generally needed to be reasonably maneuverable, it seems to make sense that these fighters with the aeronautic equivalent of gigantic "bolas" dangling off of them didn't fair so well.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI