[FIXED v1.11] How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (Full Version)

All Forums >> [New Releases from Matrix Games] >> Command: Modern Operations series

Vici Supreme -> [FIXED v1.11] How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/12/2015 4:18:43 PM)

Hello everybody!

I'm struggling to set up a smart mission where an AI operated sub has to attack a pre-defined formation of surface ships. I'm running out of options and before pinging the devs I wanted to know what's your way to set up ASuW strike-like mission for submarines? What's important to note is that the area in which the sub is operating is filled with tons of commercial and civilian shipping.

Setting up regular ASuW Patrol or Sea Control Patrol are currently not the most ideal options because these prompt the sub to ID every single contact that is picked up within a huge ocean area (as already said, lots of commercial and civilian shipping around). Because this, I thought the best way to set up a mission that fits the goals of the actual task was to set up a Naval ASuW Strike. Problem then is that the sub ignores any configuration regarding depth and speed (Mission profile is set to Use speed and altitude overide). Also, the sub has problems to succesfully intercept the targeted ships.

The best solution I was able to come up with is that I've set up a ASuW Patrol mission that is attached to the surface formation using rotating reference points. What I'm also looking for is making the sub use different depths without using ploted waypoints.

Not expecting any miracles here but let me hear your thoughts! [;)]

Thanks!

Supreme

Felcas -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/12/2015 5:01:56 PM)

Probably this is not what you would like to read, but I for such circunstances I would operate the sub manualy.

mikmykWS -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/12/2015 7:02:49 PM)

Asuw Strike mission with the specific units set as targets. You can do this for the AI by switching to God Mode to actually select the targets when creating the mission. As in real life you may have to have something to help id the targets so that you're not always intercepting late. Obviously nuke boats are much better at this kind of thing than diesels because of the their speed and endurance (good interceptors).

Mike

Vici Supreme -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/12/2015 8:02:29 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: Felcas

Probably this is not what you would like to read, but I for such circunstances I would operate the sub manualy.

Well, the subs side was supposed to be non-playable.

Supreme

jun5896 -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/13/2015 10:58:26 AM)

How about Sea Control Mission? Because When I check official scenario, submarines set that sea control mission. But if you deployed some neutral ships, maybe set mission targets.

thewood1 -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/13/2015 2:58:44 PM)

What's wrong with Mike's suggestion? If you want to only attack certain units, they need to be IDed in the scenario editor. In the scenario editor, ID the units and assign the mission. Then the AI will be looking for those units.

Yokes -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/13/2015 3:41:07 PM)

If it's a non-playable side, I have no problem with putting a small patrol zone around the target that is attached to the group. That way the AI "magically" knows where the targets are at all times.

Cheating? Yes. But humans have all sorts of advantages over the AI due to that grey matter between the ears. This helps level the playing field a bit, IMO.

Yokes

magi -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/13/2015 7:23:43 PM)

^^^ hummmm.....

thewood1 -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/13/2015 8:18:25 PM)

This can be rationalized as to intel says the enemy group is at "so-and-so" area so send a recon plane there. Not completely far-fetched.

magi -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/13/2015 10:43:33 PM)

just start with recon units out and satellites.....

Vici Supreme -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/13/2015 11:09:08 PM)

Thanks for your inputs so far!

quote:

ORIGINAL: mikmyk

Asuw Strike mission with the specific units set as targets. You can do this for the AI by switching to God Mode to actually select the targets when creating the mission. As in real life you may have to have something to help id the targets so that you're not always intercepting late. Obviously nuke boats are much better at this kind of thing than diesels because of the their speed and endurance (good interceptors).

Mike

I also thought the Strike Mission would be the best solution giving the ability to pre-define targets but unlike being assigned to a Patrol Mission, the submarine does not seem to consider mission specific depth and speed settings. To be more accurate, I think the basic problem is that all subs disobey the depth settings. When assigned to any kind of mission, after a certain time all submarines travel at shallow depth (-40M). Manually setting the altitude to a deeper depth is not an option since the subs ability to detect surface assets on its own would then be severely reduced. Also, sub-launched ASMs are no longer available then. Generally, I got the impression that all missions in the Mission Editor were primarily designed for aircraft. Speed and altitude settings work wonderful for aircraft. Please don't get me wrong, until now I never encountered such difficulties when building a scenario but this time the AI sub is freaking me out since I want it to go somewhere and kill a certain target.

quote:

ORIGINAL: jun5896

How about Sea Control Mission? Because When I check official scenario, submarines set that sea control mission. But if you deployed some neutral ships, maybe set mission targets.

For now, I'm using a Sea Control Mission attached to the targets.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Yokes

If it's a non-playable side, I have no problem with putting a small patrol zone around the target that is attached to the group. That way the AI "magically" knows where the targets are at all times.

Cheating? Yes. But humans have all sorts of advantages over the AI due to that grey matter between the ears. This helps level the playing field a bit, IMO.

Yokes

Agreed! At this point, I've never experienced that an AI sub stood even chances against player-controlled surface forces, excluded it launched anti-ship missiles against it. For gameplay reasons it's just fair giving the AI some sort of advantage.

quote:

ORIGINAL: thewood1

This can be rationalized as to intel says the enemy group is at "so-and-so" area so send a recon plane there. Not completely far-fetched.

Giving the scenarios geographical layout, it's anyways known that "there's most likely something in that direction...".

Supreme

mikmykWS -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/14/2015 12:51:28 AM)

Just took a look and I understand. Will see if maybe we can look at adding some speed and depth parameters.

Thanks!

Mike

Vici Supreme -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (4/14/2015 11:50:02 AM)

Thanks for looking this up! Really appreciated!

Supreme

ComDev -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (12/30/2015 7:44:10 PM)

Feature added v1.11 [8D]

Dysta -> RE: How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (12/30/2015 11:26:39 PM)

No longer hunting in the blind, eh?

I also have an idea, what about a white-list? If Sub detect and ID the signature that is in the list, it will not engage.

SeaQueen -> RE: [FIXED v1.11] How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (12/30/2015 11:56:21 PM)

Is this a diesel electric or nuke boat? Do you expect the submarine to make its attack with torpedoes or ASCMS? Are the surface ships the sub is supposed to attack transiting from place to place or are they fixed in position?

Aivlis -> RE: [FIXED v1.11] How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (12/31/2015 12:53:06 AM)

Have you considered letting the sub auto-ID contacts?
You could give it it's own side so it doesn't share too much intel with other forces, but that would let it discard civilian/non-mission targets as it finds them.

SeaQueen -> RE: [FIXED v1.11] How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (12/31/2015 1:28:41 PM)

These days with INMARSAT, most legitimate civilian air and ocean traffic broadcasts it's identity continuously. The only ones who don't are either very small, very old, or operating illegally.

quote:

ORIGINAL: Aivlis

Have you considered letting the sub auto-ID contacts?
You could give it it's own side so it doesn't share too much intel with other forces, but that would let it discard civilian/non-mission targets as it finds them.

ExNusquam -> RE: [FIXED v1.11] How to set up a smart sub-attack mission? (12/31/2015 6:08:59 PM)

quote:

ORIGINAL: SeaQueen

These days with INMARSAT, most legitimate civilian air and ocean traffic broadcasts it's identity continuously. The only ones who don't are either very small, very old, or operating illegally.

Hence the creation of the "Side can auto-detect civilians" option.

Page: [1]

Valid CSS!

Forum Software © ASPPlayground.NET Advanced Edition 2.4.5 ANSI